Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has ever had any luck with catfish in these 2 bays? A couple years ago my brother and dad went out and caught 6 or 7 big cats, like an idiot I didn't go. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for catching these guys in the moot (hopefully thats the right slang, I've only been here for a week or 2).

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I have never fished for them on Clair, but I have caught them. None of them were in Muscamoot. All the catfish I have caught were in Achor Bay, next to the shipping channel or near 9 mile point.

Mini

·
Registered
74 Posts
sorry that i have no info on muscamoot, but it is just about time to fill up the cooler with some cats. i've seen a little bit of cottonwood in the air......

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I must admit that I was impressed with the cats I had seen when I was pulling nets (the same ones as this year) with the DNR last spring.....made my mouth water!

I am going to gear up for them this summer.

Mini

·
Registered
371 Posts
I can tell you that there are a ton of cats that live off my sea wall here in new baltimore. I know a lot of people fish for them between the New Baltimore water tower and marsac creek. The road I live on (murdick) is the more popular stretch for big cats.

Gregg

·
Registered
74 Posts
see....now the juices are flowin'. i can't wait. those things are so much fun to catch. ugly stik with some light tackle. yeah!!!

we did pretty good on em last year. let alot of big ones go. one that just made my jaw drop. i'm guessin 34" and fat and ugly as all hell. man!

but those little ones sure do taste good!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Been getting cats along the shore near south river road, 20 feet out from shore, shallow water.
tons of bullheads from 9-13 inch range, and lots of good size 6-9lb flat heads. although we love to eat the smaller ones, we cant seem to get them on crawlers.
we have tried everything but no small channel cats. and this may seem strange but we did eat some bullheads, and oddly enough they were actually great! maybe it was because we still have cold water or just that we wanted catfish, but i have to admit, i stand corrected about bullheads being a throwback fish. i wont eat them in great amounts , but i wont be throwing the larger ones back from now on. i am sure i will get some replys on this one!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can fish in St. Johns Marsh? I thought it was protected or something? I thought I saw no fishing signs along the road when I pass it on the way to Harsens.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
The mouth of the spillway is an Awesome place for Cats if you can't find them in the Bays. Bob

·
Registered
262 Posts
Caught one that was 14#s off the belle river hump trolling a wiggle wort for walleyes. Thought it was a muskie until we got it close to the boat. Man I love this lake......it always has suprises for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts