Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I was walking in the Ruedisale Point Park in New Baltimore yesterday about 7 pm when one great blue heron harrassed another by swooping at it. The spooked bird jumped up from the canal flapping his wings and settled in the park not too far from me. When he realized I was there, he decided he wasn't high enough, so he flapped those big wings and flew right to the top of a big tree, where he landed! I never saw a heron land high in a tree before and it was pretty comical watching him wobble around trying to find a branch that would hold his weight. Finally he got balanced and stayed until I got close enough to snap the picture below (he's there in the upper right hand corner). Then he took off for an offshore sandbar.

You see the coolest things around this lake!

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
Boatmonkey,

Those big things really are more at home in trees than you'd think. There is a rookery in Troy and another in Rochester Hills, both near where I live. They build thier nests at the top of big, high dead trees. I've seen them perched on the branches near thier nests lots of times. It looks kinda wierd for a bird that big to be up there though.

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have seen pictures of these big herons and other similarly large birds nesting in big trees in Florida, but I hadn't seen one fly up and land in one like that before. For all I know, they roost in them at night.

Big birds make for funny scenes in Florida - I saw a house with its TV antenna leaning out at a huge angle because the weight of three vultures was bending it! Now that would be depressing if vultures started hanging out on your roof!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
boatmonkey, if you havent seen a rookery (spelling?) before with herrings they are truly somthing to see. we have one near our house, they make nests in old dead trees and stand over their babies. the nest are made of large sticks, kinda looks like a robins nest, just 3+ feet in dia.
i havent looked in a while but at one time there were a cluster of trees with about 15 nests. anyone driving near square lake road 1/4 mile west of john r on the south side right behind a church, just look in the tree tops and you wont miss them.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Vultures on the roof would make me apprehensive!!! Think I'll stick to the Mourning Doves.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(Storm @ Oct 16 2003, 03:25 PM)Vultures on the roof would make me apprehensive!!! Think I'll stick to the Mourning Doves.
Man, if I had more time I would dig up the pic I have of a vulture on my neighbor's roof, sunning itself. What a sight that was!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts