Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anybody out there put a supercharger on their 496 mag HO.

PowerBoat mag had an article on that with Whipple and Procharger brands.
Just wondering if you out there have had the same gains?

Procharger Kit:3.5 pd kit - stock/425hp- blown/580hp
5 pd kit - stock/425hp- blown/625hp
cost: $5396.00-$6195.00

Wipple: 5/6 pd kit- stock/425- blown/625/645hp
cost: $6695.00

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, Here's a question.......Does anybody on this board have a supercharger on there engine/s?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Convincer253, I suggest posting on www.offshoreonly.com or www.fastboats.info. I have seen threads posted on those sights on the very subject.

·
12,052 Posts
Hey Convincor, I work with a guy with a 25' Eliminator cat with a 502. He put a procharger on it a couple years ago. The horsepower increase was alot. Enough to start breaking things and considor a stronger outdrive. I think he was pricing a number five drive. His buddy owns Mach performance who is a dealer I believe and uses prochargers alot. I can confirm that if you want and then can talk with him.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been reading about them a lot. This year I am upgrading my exaust. Maybe down the road here I will do more. I know if I go any faster than I am going now....I will have to at least install hydraulic/exterior steering (Lathem) system. And other small items that have a big price tag. Who knows, maybe by then I will be able to just buy a bigger boat that just plain, go's faster. Sometimes that's cheaper than putting all the money into your engine.
Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Convincor,

Two winter back, I installed a set of Whipple's on my 32' Sunsation. It was the older "side mount" kit, so my price was about $1500 less than their new kit prices.

Performance wise, it's a totally different boat now. I had the motors pulled out last winter and run on Tyler Crockett's dyno. With a conservative setup, they consistently made 550 hp at the crank with 6 psi of boost. This is up from the factory rated 385 hp. Acceleration is simply awesome.

If you ask for opinions on Whipple vs. Pro Charger, be prepared to get an earful. Everyone and their brother will have some sort of third hand experience / story to tell. Be careful what, and who, you believe. My experience; the Whipple did exactly what it was said to do, and the guys at the factory stood behind their product. The first fuel curve calibration was a little rich, so I had to send out the ECU's back to California for a second attempt. The second set of calibrations were spot on.

One final thing that you probably already realize, is that this project will nickel and dime you to death. I know this sounds anal and such, but prepare a budget for yourself. It would really suck to get half way done with a project like this and realize you are dead broke.

My biggest expense with the Whipple kit was mostly drive related. I had to upgrade to full hydraulic external steering. $$ Then, I had to install low water pickups for the added water capacity needed by the intercoolers. $$$ Next, I needed a new set of props. $,$$$ Add on top of that all the nick knacks like boost gauges, water gauges, bolster re-work to make the hatch fit, etc... $$,$$$

Good luck with whatever you decide.

-Bayley

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the response! Much appreciated.

I bought a couple things from Tyler Crockett last year (helluva guy). He told me an alternative to a supercharger would be for a little less than $6000 he could take my engine out, tear it down, and totally re-build it with higher performance parts, dyno it, etc., etc,.
Give it a real upgrade, and really see some performance out of it. Does that sound OK? So many options with my 502. It's an awesome motor! Face it.....it's the main reason I bought the boat. I would like to see 75 to 80 mph some day with this boat. Money, money, money.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Convincer253, consider hydraulic steering and a drive shower when doing upgrades also. If you decided to go the route of teardown and build up the motor call Lenny over at Milennyum Marine on Jefferson. 586 468-7361. I have him putting the pair of 502's in my Sunsation Dominator. This weekend I am putting in a Hydraulic steering system before the motors go in.

·
12,052 Posts
I know a guy that had a 24outlaw that Tyler Crockett did his big block. Nothing but trouble. The boat was always back there. I can give you his number if you want. Ron at Dynamic might be expensive (what race stuff isn't) but it doesn't break. I had a 24 baja also back in the late eighties that I did the motor on myself. It was a 330 454 to start. New heads with big valves, roller cam, rockers, and chain, forged pistons, alum intake ported along with the heads, everything balanced, and a 1.5 gear ratio instead of the stock 1.3:1. New hp estimated at 525. Went from 4000rpm wide open with a 19 pitch stainless prop 56mph, to 5100rpm wide open with a 23 pitch prop 70 mph. Without the drive it was only a couple thousand bucks. Couldn't complain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

I don't really plan on supercharging, I guess. I am ordering my new exaust here soon. I am going with the EMI Thunder. My next upgrade/install will be external hydro steering.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I just ordered an IMCO set up for my boat, just under 3 grand. Talking to Lenny yesterday, he said for 3 or 4 grand he can turn the 502 into a naturallly aspirated stroker motor and push 550 hp.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was torn between IMCO and EMI. What made my decision was just talking to a bunch of folk over on OSO. It was kind of a toss up. So I went with EMI. A little more expensive, but....what the hay!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've ran the EMI Thunder for two seasons now. I haven't had any problems. One thing I really like about them, is that the water jackets are completely sealed at the tops of the manifolds. I don't have to worry about water leaking back in the exhaust passages if the manifold / riser gasket isn't perfect.

Tom, 550 hp??? Uh oh... what do you have in mind?!?

-Bayley

·
Registered
991 Posts
Bayley, I am going to have to let you stay king of St Clair with your whippled charged Dominator. I am staying with the stock motors and run my measly 80mph and have to look at your transom all day long!

Picking up the Imco hydraulic steering today or Monday. Then once I get it in then I will drop the boat off with Lenny to finish up installing the motors.

·
Registered
387 Posts
King Schming... there's ALWAYS some bigger, badder, faster, etc.! I got my butt kicked pretty good at last years Rally by the guys from upstate NY (Whippled HP500's).

You sticking with the 502 415hp? EFI or Carb? Inquiring minds would like to know.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I did say St Clair, they don't count. I am running EFI's so I should see somewhere from 75mph to 80mph, but I bet my speedo will read 80!

I got my butt kicked in the rally I was the only 25 up front leaving Mac and Ray's inbetween you, the Innovator, and the pace boat. You guys sure pushed Joe to go faster and once we crossed Metro I was dust at 70mph banging my throttle for more and I can tell you it sucks to get caught in the cross chop of 6 32's at that speed.

Where there any fast 28's at the Rally? I don't recall seeing anything that was built. I am looking forward to another rally this year, that was really a good time.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Canada Jeff held with the pack for the first half of the trip up to Mac & Ray's. He's got a 28 with a single HP500 EFI.

He docked next to us at the lunch stop. I remember his wife getting off the boat and saying: "That was WAAAY too much testosterone for me!"

There were a few times I passed Joe, most of the time in the South Channel. I had maybe five mph over Joe, and slightly less on the Innovator. Either one though, I could still catch. Thank GOD it wasn't a busy day on the lake (because of all the haze) otherwise, there would have total chaos out there. Just ask Raypanic, we all blew by him heading up towards Algonac.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I had a 32 dominator with a couple of Crockett motors (650 hp) the boat ran high 90's low 100 depending on air/ humiduity. That had 420 mega blower with the dual carbs. My current boat on has 500's in it ( 34 Phantom) but will get fuel injected whipples when I upgrade. It runs about 85 to 88 now. The reason I want whipples injected is, to have better control and less fouling of plugs. They are easier to dial in and Idle better than the carbed B&M mega blowers. Yes Tyler will do these motors unless I send them direct to Dustin at whipple.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts