Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this may help some guys who are struggling to catch big fish on St. Clair. This past weekend, with all the tournament fishermen pounding the mile roads area, I shifted gears and was pleasantly suprised. Weighed in a five fish limit of 15.5 lbs with two fish exceeding 4 lbs and all were caught on a Zoom Super Fluke. Lots of guys fish the mile roads and most are throwing tubes but the top two places in our clubs tourney were fellows throwing soft jerkbaits. I heard of guys culling through 3 and 4 limits on tubes but I only caught 5 keepers all day long. Although that sounds like fun, I'd rather have the excitement at the scales.
I don't claim to be a big tournament angler, but I believe big fish get conditioned to certain baits and a change-up can work wonders sometime. Hope this can help someone.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I totally agree. how long will it be til out precious tubes dont produce any longer. i think we are lready starting to see signs of the tube demize(sp?). less the 7.5 lber caught the other day.

i fish a lake in oakland county that used to be so hot fishing slug-gos. problem was that once word got out, everyone and their mothers ( even my mom
) were throwing these baits. it was good for about 2 years. but now, good luck catching anything on a slug-go out there.

i am a firm believer in constantly showing the fish something new. if you think about it, st clair is a huge lake, but with all the angling pressure and the majority of the anglers throwing tubes the majority of the time, how long til the fish wise up and want something differnt. i feel it is already happening. you can still go out and win a tourney on tubes. its all about right place, right time, and right presentation. but i think there will be a new bait that will come along real soon and take the crown as the king on lsc and erie. it will be a soft palstic, and may even be in the form of a tube (mizmo 5 " slinko cough cough)

of course this is just my opinion, but look at the rubber worm. it has been done so many times that it is difficult to catch fish on them at this point. i know i will have some stong arguments on this one, but i have seen it myself. too many people adopting a particular style of fishing with a particular style of lure will bore the fish in a hurry.

tubes are a great way to catch fish, dont get me wrong. but to stay on top, you have to adapt. find something new. show them something they havent seen.

anyone else agree? or am i alone here?

madman himself

1 - 2 of 2 Posts