Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are a lot of experienced anglers here and getting information on the how to's is like finding the arc of the covenant! But I am new to fishing on LSC and I take my grandsons with me, we fish in a dingy so can't go out real far. I am looking for what you are using for bait, lines and the likes of that just so we can come in with some fish on a stringer......so far our stringers are empty and we have having lake salad (seaweed) everynight for dinner! (just kidding)....but if you are willing to let go of some secrets and teach an ol dog new tricks...please reply....

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
id suggest 6-10 lb mono, circle hooks and live bait for fishing with kids. drift in the 8-15 ft range off the mile roads and you should get into fish. little tougher during the fishfly hatch but theyre still fish to be caught. my graphs been lighting up in that depth range alot of fish hanging around waiting for the nights hatch. hope this helps im sure others have different opinions/options. ive only been muskie fishing lately but have seen bass being boated in that depth range

·
Registered
215 Posts
I use braided but for the kids anything will work. Try drifitng walleye rigs with NC. You can also throw some cranks. Ive had alot of luck on green/yellow and red/black. Stay in 12-13 FOW. You'll hit some pearch and sheephead on the rigs. Maybe even a Walleye or two. The cranks will be good for LMB SMB Walleye and Pike. G/L Tight Lines to you all!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Trolling can be the most productive method of fishing. You can cover more ground faster. Bottom bouncer, in-line weights and planer boards. The new laws make trolling even better since you can have 3 rods per angler. I like to have two rods with bottom bouncers off the back of the boat and 2 more rods on each side with in-lines and planer boards. Crawler harnesses will catch just about every species of fish in the lake. Live crawlers work better than gulp! If a fish bites off the tail of the worm, put a new one on! You will want your speed to be 1.1 to 1.6. Trolling with the current works better than against the current (lsc has current going towards the Detroit River). If you catch the target species spin around and make another pass over the same spot. A gps is key in this situation. I've been taught to fish LSC by some very experienced anglers and this was the presentation they use and I will use every time out. Bring plenty of crawlers as you can go through 6-7 dozen in a morning's fish.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Since you clearly stated that you are in a dinghy and can't go out to far, so trolling isn't an option for you. You also stated that your looking for fish to bring in on your stringer, so you are definitely looking for table fair.

This might be right up your alley. You might want to get some minnows, and also a few crawlers, and try fishing with slip bobbers just on the outside of the tall weeds around Harsens Island for some perch. The kids should be able to catch on and enjoying perching pretty quick. If the perch aren't giving some action in a few minutes, its probably because their not there and you'll just have to hop around until you find them. Once you find them, the kids will be pretty occupied and happy with the action.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts