Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to have a tooth extracted last week and now I have the choice between either a "bridge" or an "implant".

The birdge could last 1 or 2 years or it could last alot longer. there is also a chance that it gets infected while they are working on it and that could lead to a root canal on at least one of the two teeth they are connecting the bridge to.

The implant is a titanium screw in my jaw and a fake tooth cemented to that. it will last forever, and none of my other teeth will be affected by it.

The bridge is partially covered by my insurance, so my cost is about $1500.00

insurance will not cover any of the implant cost so my cost is about $3000.00

If I do nothing, the two teeth that were on each side of the extracted will start to "fall" into that spot which will lead to more problems in the future.

All this work is being done on my mouth and even though it's somewhat painful, every time I think about it my a$$ is what's killing me!

Any peeps ever have to deal with this type of situation?

I have until 12-23 to decide so I can specify an amount of $$ to be taken out the gross pay of my pay checks and then it will be reimbursed to me when I turn in my receipts. That way I pay a little at a time without having to charge it and pay interest, and it is tax free.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
top gun get the implant , i have a bridge in front this is my 3rd one , by the time over the years you pay co pays for bridges. youd be better off with implants.next time i need one iam going that way.mine has broken out twice and had to have root canal on tooth next to it, that bridge was attached to. back then in 82 i dont think implants were a option otherwise i would have.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
My husband just went through this, all I can say is $3000 is cheap for an implant, he was quoted over $4000...he ended up getting the bridge, to his regret, it is uncomfortable and he has already had numerous issues with it.....
But for $3000, you could get an implant done in Thailand and vacation while you are there for a week! I'm not talking about crap medicine, I'm talking state of the art...totally incredible and the prices are cheap!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
No idea my man..............I've been lucky enough to never need anything like that. Just got my first "pinhole" sized cavity 1 yr. ago, although implant sounds like the route I would choose.

Is it possible that different dentists or orthodontists charge lower prices????????

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
some are cheaper , and some are hacks. went to one on 16 & crooks total hack he did my temporrary and it look like i was bugs bunny...iam like what the f...k ? this is the best you can do? you suck !!!! didnt pay him a dime and called ins co. and dental association.

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
I have an implant......It is great
.......It's the way to go BUT takes a long time!
1. have old tooth extracted, wait months
2. Have hole drilled in head,
3. Have "nut" implanted in bone, wait months
4. have a mold done
5. wear a flipper tooth till the bone grows over the "nut"
6. have a mold done
7. grind off the new bone growth and expose the nut
8. have a mold done
9. new flipper tooth
10. Have a post fitted
11. have a mold done
12. have a tooth put on the post

two years later or so Wa~la

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
I went with a bridge because my two other teeth needed the work. Lucky for me the bridge was fantastic, a little sensitive to cold every so often but I'm really happy with it.

We'll see over the long haul on how it holds up. Mine was 2K and insurance covered 1K.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have the same problem and opted for the bridge because the neighboring teeth affected also need work.
The oral surgeon I went to said implant total would be $1860 (15 & Dodgepark) and you get the metal screw thing put in the same day they extract the tooth. That is a timesaver. A temporary crown is also put on that day and until it all heals up. Then the permanent crown from the dentist is partially insurance covered.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good oral surgeon that does a nice job on the implants? That's where my tax refund is going - to my choppers

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
QUOTE(Shandog @ Dec 19 2003, 12:50 PM)Can anyone recommend a good oral surgeon that does a nice job on the implants? That's where my tax refund is going - to my choppers
There are only a fee in the area.....
I went to Summit Oral @ 696 & Mound.....

Wait till they numb you up......right into the roof of your mouth.

yaazaaa~ouch

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
The shot is the hardest part.......They will put you under for more $$$$. I went the cheaper route......I don't sugest it....pay for the "wake me when your done routine"

It feels great when you're finished.....smooth....you floss and everything.....better than the original.

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
I have both.. Implant on the right side due to loosing teeth in a car accident.. Bridge on left side. For an implant you may have to have a certain amount of bone on the upper so that the implant doesn't go into you sinus cavity.. On the lower probably no problem.. Either way your going to need a water pic to clean out around the teeth. I don't know which is stronger but it seems that if you don't have to mess up another tooth just to do a bridge why mess with it?? Just my .02 cents worth...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Although I never went through it, my father had a bridge put in. He went through 3 I believe, and was needing another. They never lasted, in part because of his nerves. He would grind his teeth in his sleep, and break the bridges. He wished he would have gotton an implant. Would have been cheaper. It's a gamble and you never know until you try it. But I've heard many horror stories on bridges. Good luck

·
Registered
476 Posts
Very interesting topic. I just had my #3 tooth pulled, because I had a root canal break. I want to get a implant based on what I have been hearing about bridges. I say the same thing, why destroy 2 more teeth with no problems. My dentist said an implant would be $5000 and I still could not get it because it would be too close to sinus cavity
.......I am wondering is this really true???????? Maybe someone else would be able to do it?
I thought $5000 was pretty high. He recommends the bridge for $2800 and the insurance will cover $1000. They cover nothing on a implant. I have sometime for the gum to heal before any work can be done. They told me after my cruise on January 18, it should be healed enough to start doing the work. I am still going to check around on a Dentist that can do a good job on an implant for a reasonable price. The only thing that worries me is this sinus cavity thing. What are the possible problems with it be too close to the sinus cavity?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I've been putting off that decision for a couple years now. My dentist recommends the bridge cuz of the cost. I was liking the idea of the implant. After reading the posts here I'm leaning even more in that direction.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts