Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 mounth old setter that I would like to get on some birds. How can I get him started? Never done this before. I would mainly hunt grouse & woodcock with him.

What do I need to know?

Where do I start?

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Get a book, do what it says. Before I did that, I just took mine out, and I got lucky. He knew exactly what to do. He just needed a little refinning to make him mine.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
didnt you know a guy who brings chukars and gives little seminars at wetzal?

What do you all think about "fixing" him. I hear it makes them more obidiant but can also bring down his drive

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
QUOTE(BobFequal @ Aug 2 2009, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>didnt you know a guy who brings chukars and gives little seminars at wetzal?

What do you all think about "fixing" him. I hear it makes them more obidiant but can also bring down his drive

That was Shep that does the Wetzal thing.

About the "fixing" thing, I wouldn't be obidiant at all if you took mine. More like pi$$ed at the world. Maybe that is what happened to my dog, he hasd more "drive" than before it was done, and he is now 8, and still pretty much unstoppable.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
if you get your dog out into any fields make sure you protect him against ticks! your vet can give you some "front line" or something similar to help keep them off your dog. I recommend that even when you use a repellent, give a thorough check to make sure he is tick free.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
QUOTE(BobFequal @ Aug 2 2009, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a 10 mounth old setter that I would like to get on some birds. How can I get him started? Never done this before. I would mainly hunt grouse & woodcock with him.

What do I need to know?

Where do I start?

I trained a Brittany several years ago - takes a lot of work and dedication if you really want a good bird dog, and you have to have basic obedience first/together for sure. I started with a book by Larry Mueller called "Speed Train Your Own Bird Dog" - had awesome basic program, and then you should find someone to help you, preferably someone who raises birds/has land/trains dogs - I used Len Jenkins down near Maybee, MI. He's a pointer/setter guy, even has a small hunting preserve. Started with pointing pigeons, moved on to shooting quail - she turned out awesome. There's a guy in the Thumb - Preston Mann Jr. at Farmland Pheasant Hunters, he's got a good reputation. There are lots of others around too.

As far as neutering him, I'm no expert but I think you'd be ok to at least wait a while - at 10 months I don't think it would have much effect on his obedience or his drive. I think it would only be an issue if there was a female in heat when you were training or hunting him.

Good luck, it's very rewarding when they become good hunters and pets!

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Excellent advice Superman. To build on that, i'd suggest this:

Get the book. Your local library is an excellent source. We're preparing to get ourselves a lab, and some research makes me feel like i'm ready to really train my soon to be best friend. A book i'm reading now, By Bill Tarrant, goes into everything from starting with a check cord in the litter box to water training, heeling, you name it. The one thing he most certainly stresses, however, is the dedication required to really train an excellent hunt dog. That and letting the dog act out of natural instinct more than what you "think" it should do.

I'd also look into the aid of a professional hunt club. That would get you started in the right direction the fastest.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I would start with a bird dog club. There are a lot of them around here, and they are very helpfull. Is your dog an english setter? I would think a "pointing" dog club would be your best choice.

For my Weimeraner, I joined the Greater Seattle Bird Dog Association and the Weimeraners of America dog clubs. We met once a month and had seminars on how to train the dogs. A great place to learn and network.

Dog training is A LOT of work and A LOT of time. But, I don't have kids, so I have the time. When I bought my lab, I had her pheasant trained. It's not cheap, but well worth it for me. Then I met Makowish and Chefnutz and those jokers put an addiction into my head called duck hunting. So, now I am in the process of training her for duck hunting. I joined the Saint Clare Flats Hunter Retriever Club to learn how to train my dog for duck hunting.

So, joining dog training clubs has worked for me and I find them a great place for networking. It all depends on what you want to do.

The club I am in does buy chuckers from a preserve and we plant them at Wetzel in the spring. You can get the same envoronment by hunting at the preserve.

Good luck with the training.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.