Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Seaworthy Extra: Bismarck Dinius Acquitted

After seven hours of deliberation, the 12-member Lake County, California jury found Bismarck Dinius not guilty of felony boating under the influence causing great bodily injury. The same jury also acquitted Dinius of a misdemeanor count of boating under the influence and was deadlocked on a third count of boating with a blood alcohol level of greater than .08. Regarding the latter, the vote was 11 to 1 to acquit. Jon Hopkins, the district attorney who prosecuted the case, said the charge will be dropped. Dinius had originally been charged with involuntary manslaughter, but that charge was dropped by the prosecution shortly before the trial. In April, 2006, Dinius had been at the helm of a sailboat that was struck from behind at night by a powerboat that was being driven by Russell Perdock, who was not charged. Perdock is the Lake County Deputy Sheriff.

In an interview with Dan Noyes of ABC News, Dinius said he was relieved and is looking forward going home and rebuilding his life.

The case was first covered in the October, 2008 edition of Seaworthy "A Strange Case of Justice". Details of the trial and its outcome will be in the October issue of Seaworthy.

My comments:

I only wish the deputy would have got charged!

Funny how the thin blue line comes together to help out one of theirs. Imagine how blood Alcohol tests disappear when a law enforcement officer is involved. DOH... do they think we are stupid or something?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
QUOTE(PurpleHeart91 @ Aug 21 2009, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Funny how the thin blue line comes together to help out one of theirs. Do they think we are stupid or something?

Read about Jason Siegel and St. Clair Mobile Marine. Someone said his dad is a MC LEO.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Let's make sure you are not lumping all LEOS together....You as well as anybody should know not everyone is willing to put their butts on the line for the good of the whole....Law enforcement is a tough job and generalization can make it even tougher....

One other point....I personally know of one homicide Detective in Lansing that paid a heavy price for getting his second DUI.....20+ years in the force and the "Thin blue line" didn't help him a bit.....

I guess that a lesson that should be learned in all of this...Obvious police cover up aside...If you are operating a boat or car and are drinking you are taking a chance of being held liable in an accident...You fault or not...

I had a buddy of mine in college that was in an accident when a lady pulled out in front of him at a four way stop...She was killed...He had just left a sports bar watching a game and had a few beers...He did jail time even though it wasn't his fault...They wanted to hang manslaughter on him, but luckily it didn't stick....

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
Yeah there are many LEO's out there that would just love to get another one for something big!!!

And I dont believe for a minute that if this Siegel guys dad is a MCS, that any of them would look the other way with his record/reputation.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
The guys who landed their go-fast in metro park got off pretty easy from what I heard, due to a connection with the sheriffs office.

Kennedy got off pretty easy too, when he killed Mary Jo Kopechne in the Chapaquidick River.

Power and connections, not to mention money, will make it easier to get off just about anything. Don't pretend that LEO's and even their families don't get off a little easier 9 times out of 10. Not necessarily for the big stuff, but certainly for traffic offenses oftentimes up to and including DUI.

And don't go thinking that it makes one damn bit of difference whether or not you're guilty, if the prosecutor really wants to chalk up a win. If you can hold out long enough to go to trial AND keep up with the attorney's bills, you're life as you know it is over LONG before you get that not guilty verdict. If the cops / prosecutor / public opinion is against you, you're screwed no matter how innocent you are. Look at the Duke rape case. Look at the guy who was originally accused of the Olympic bombing. Look at motocross's college buddy. Look at all the people on death row being set free by DNA evidence years after their conviction. Look at this poor sucker - 3.5 years and untold thousands of bucks for getting run over by a cop while on a blowboat ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts