Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am usually on some of the other forums at LSCN but have a question related to the outdoors and thought I would ask on this forum. Here goes

I have a Black Walnut tree that has been dropping the fruit/nuts for the past 2 weeks. It has dropped hundreds of them and in my experience far too early. They are only as big around as a quarter but falling like mad. Thought someone might know what gives. They are a tough nut to crack but there won't be any left this fall at the rate they are going. Curious if anyone knows what is up or has the same problem. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
We have some very old reliable walnut trees at work, that still are holding onto their nuts. (Insert Chivo humor here) It's usually in September/October that I go out and get them by the buckets full.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Grapes @ Jul 20 2009, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We have some very old reliable walnut trees at work, that still are holding onto their nuts. (Insert Chivo humor here) It's usually in September/October that I go out and get them by the buckets full.
Exactly. Hence my question. I have never seen the walnuts fall this early at such a small size and so many. I won't be getting buckets full this year if it keeps up. When writing this thread I anticipated there would be some humor thrown in, who could resist, but the problem is serious.

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
I will take a walk behind work and see if the trees are dropping in the same capacity. it is wayyy to early to be dropping and the fruit is most likely immature and bitter. They will have to be dried for several weeks, cracked and roasted. will report if I can take a walk.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
That does sound like a problem if you're loosing your nuts. I wonder with all the strange weather we've had so far this year if that might be part of a problem. A friend of mine has 20 or so at his place up north, I'll check with him and see if any of his are dropping nuts already.
Darn shame to loose that many, I love black walnuts.

(Sorry I couldn't resist)

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
I too will make the long drive tomorrow and let you all know. I'm gonna go on a limb here (pardon the pun) and just tell you to go ahead and get rid of the diseased tree, and btw, I'm looking for about 3,000 board feet of Walnut limber. So, Yes I will get rid of it for you, just to get that lawn litterer out of your yard for you.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Jul 20 2009, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This hot cold, rain, rain, wind and schmidt is not good for vegitation this year

BS, you should see my fricken lawn. I'm in the running for best lawn right now. I want all my dead grass and dandelions back

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(Grapes @ Jul 20 2009, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I too will make the long drive tomorrow and let you all know. I'm gonna go on a limb here (pardon the pun) and just tell you to go ahead and get rid of the diseased tree, and btw, I'm looking for about 3,000 board feet of Walnut limber. So, Yes I will get rid of it for you, just to get that lawn litterer out of your yard for you.

I would say that it is a nice straight tree but that could invoke more humor.

The tree looks fine but I will have to look a little closer. It is the nicest tree in my yard, I hope it will be around for quite a while.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
QUOTE(canaller @ Jul 20 2009, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Grapes @ Jul 20 2009, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I too will make the long drive tomorrow and let you all know. I'm gonna go on a limb here (pardon the pun) and just tell you to go ahead and get rid of the diseased tree, and btw, I'm looking for about 3,000 board feet of Walnut limber. So, Yes I will get rid of it for you, just to get that lawn litterer out of your yard for you.

The tree looks fine but I will have to look a little closer. It is the nicest tree in my yard, I hope it will be around for quite a while.

Marlin Firearms will pay $10,000 to any owner of a Black Walnut tree where the first split from the main trunk is over 12' from the ground. They cut it down, sell the lumber, and dig up the root ball (Burl) and make gun stocks out of it.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(Grapes @ Jul 20 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(canaller @ Jul 20 2009, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Grapes @ Jul 20 2009, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I too will make the long drive tomorrow and let you all know. I'm gonna go on a limb here (pardon the pun) and just tell you to go ahead and get rid of the diseased tree, and btw, I'm looking for about 3,000 board feet of Walnut limber. So, Yes I will get rid of it for you, just to get that lawn litterer out of your yard for you.

Marlin Firearms will pay $10,000 to any owner of a Black Walnut tree where the first split from the main trunk is over 12' from the ground. They cut it down, sell the lumber, and dig up the root ball (Burl) and make gun stocks out of it.

Got their phone number?

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
QUOTE(Grapes @ Jul 20 2009, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(canaller @ Jul 20 2009, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Grapes @ Jul 20 2009, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I too will make the long drive tomorrow and let you all know. I'm gonna go on a limb here (pardon the pun) and just tell you to go ahead and get rid of the diseased tree, and btw, I'm looking for about 3,000 board feet of Walnut limber. So, Yes I will get rid of it for you, just to get that lawn litterer out of your yard for you.

WOW!!! Wish I had one. I'd have a nice boat! LOL ANd maybe a free 30-30!!

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Jul 20 2009, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I do not think that is nearly what a good black walnut tree could fetch at the mill

That's all they pay. We actually bought the wood from Marlin when we built the Detroit Golf Club @ 7 mile and Pontchartrain. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many thousand board feet we went thru there. We had a deadline we had to meet too for Barry Sander's wedding to Lauren Campbell. All they want is the burl. They could care less for the rest of the tree.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Jul 20 2009, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I do not think that is nearly what a good black walnut tree could fetch at the mill

I would be curious at what Black Walnut is going for. Quite a few back on the farm in Iowa. Just could never get used to the thought of letting them go before their time. Same with this one.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
QUOTE(canaller @ Jul 20 2009, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Jul 20 2009, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I do not think that is nearly what a good black walnut tree could fetch at the mill

I would be curious at what Black Walnut is going for. Quite a few back on the farm in Iowa. Just could never get used to the thought of letting them go before their time. Same with this one.

It takes so long to get there, it's a shame to cut it down. That is why you will only find it in high end places. It is very expensive. They cut one down at work, and I turned some of the logs into lumber, and have used it for many projects. The latest was for a turkey call box lid for one of our plumbers.

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
QUOTE(canaller @ Jul 20 2009, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Jul 20 2009, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I do not think that is nearly what a good black walnut tree could fetch at the mill

I enjoy hardwoods, I love the Hickory's, and the Walnuts in particular. I understand where you are comming from. They are great if a family comes on hard times

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.