Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I currently have a Motorola i920 for my full time job, but I can not realistically use it for my new business. So......

I am looking at four blackberry devices from Verizon. I am not sure which one will work best, or if any will do.

If you have one of these, or know of someone that does, please let me know what you think. I have read the reviews on VZW, but I would like some feedback from my friends here on LSCN.

BlackBerry® Curve™ 8330 smartphone in Silver $49.99

BlackBerry® Curve™ 8530 smartphone in Black $99.99

BlackBerry® Tour™ 9630 smartphone $149.99

BlackBerry® Storm2™ 9550 smartphone $179.99

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
Define works best? They all will send and receive email, which is the primary function of a Blackberry. It's more a matter of which one you can use effectively. I know some folks that got the BB Pearl because it was small, but the keyboard was way too small. I have the Storm which has a great screen but you have to actually "Click" the screen for every keystroke. I'd go to the Verizon store and try them all. See which one you can work with the easiest.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have the BB8320 and would not trade it for any new device out right now, at least till they get the bugs worked out of them. There are lots of issues with the newer, 9XXX devices.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm big fan of the Curve, I got a Storm first and couldn't stand the click screen, took it back and got a curve instead. I love it. Make sure you download the "quickpull" app and run it every so ofter. I keeps your phone running quick, it cleans up all the crap slowing down your phone software, oh, and it's free.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(Suck My Wake @ Dec 3 2009, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Storm2 they got rid of the click screen.
Cool. I hope the 5.01 update "fixes" that on my Storm. Waiting for our folks to release it.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I have the 8330 Curve and love it. The email is necessary for me but the coolest feature is the ability to tether it to my laptop. I can get my laptop on line anywhere there is service.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
QUOTE(BobbyLew22 @ Dec 3 2009, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have the BB8320 and would not trade it for any new device out right now, at least till they get the bugs worked out of them. There are lots of issues with the newer, 9XXX devices.

I guess we must be the nearly 800+ lucky ones, as we don't have "lots of issues with the newer, 9XXX devices" with the 9630 Tours we have deployed. Perhaps you'd care to elaborate?

My organization has about 2400 Blackberries in service, roughly 800 9630 Tour devices, a couple hundred older devices, and the rest are 8830 and 8350 models, which we are upgrading on a regular basis. It has been noted previously, but it really depends on what you want to use it for - any of them will do e-mail and calendar synch.

Looking at the phones you've selected, the silver 8330 has only 32MB of memory - it will be a slug running anything more than the most basic apps. Both the 8530 and the 9630 have 256 MB, the difference being that the Tour has a better camera, higher resolution screen, and comes with a 2 GB memory card (probably $25 at Walmart) in the phone. One caveat - the Tour does not support Wi-fi at this time, while the 8530 does. So, if you are going to want to use it for heavy data use and would prefer to run it off a corporate or home network, the 8530 is really the only choice. All of my users that have tried a Storm have universally hated it, though I hear the Storm 2 is much improved.

I traded my AT&T Blackberry Bold for a Sprint 9630 Tour. I run against our corporate Blackberry server for e-mail, calendar, and address book, and have it synchronized with my gmail account. I've been running it for several months and have had exactly zero issues with it, either the device itself, sound quality, coverage, etc. I've got another 800 users that employ the same phone, again with very minimal problems (typically the user part of the user interface).

You will likely get more battery life out of the older 8530; I tested my Tour and got 50 hours from 100% down to 0%, and it is my primary phone at home and work. Your best option is to take all of them for a test drive and see what works for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts