Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I went to a Fleet Blessing off Marblehead, Ohio a few years back. It was a nice event. All the boats making up the fleet congregated just off shore of the church and the blessing was performed over the VHF. No communion though. Just the prayer for safety in the new season.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it's for the boats, but for the captains & crew of the boats.

I like the idea of a blessing over the VHF. We usually do a blessing over a bottle...

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Mar 2 2010, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't think it's for the boats, but for the captains & crew of the boats.

I like the idea of a blessing over the VHF. We usually do a blessing over a bottle...

I don't remember if it was last year or the year before, but someone in this area was doing a blessing over the VHF and I couldn't believe all the rude a-holes out there interrupting and saying rude things to them. Some people need to learn some respect.

·
&quot;Commodore of the ToT LoT&quot;
2,809 Posts
QUOTE(freckles @ Mar 2 2010, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't think it's for the boats, but for the captains & crew of the boats.

Yes we have......blessed a few with XO in the Spring over the years!!

Cheers!!

XO

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
This is the annual Blessing of the Fleet for the Great Lakes commercial fleet, which is getting ready to fit out and sail for the 2010 shipping season. A couple ships have already started fitting out and there are also a couple already running.

Locks at the Soo open March 25.

I have never been to the ceremony, but it is a very worthwhile event and usually very well attended, as is the annual remembrance ceremony held in late fall. Usually get to see ship officers in their company formal uniforms, etc.

Mariner's Church is, of course, the church made famous by the Gordon Lightfoot ballad Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

In a musty old hall in Detroit they prayed
In the Maritime Sailors' Cathedral
The church bell chimed, 'til it rang 29 times
For each man on the
Edmund Fitzgerald.

The man who rang the bell was the late Rev. Richard Ingalls. Went to a funeral for a friend/mentor several years ago that Rev. Ingalls officiated at and it was a tremendously moving ceremony.

Read about Rev. Ingalls and the church here:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?p...p;GRid=24676925

Sadly, Rev. Ingalls has since passed, but his son is the current rector.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts