Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think? I have a friend who seized the motor on a late 90's sea rayder f16xr with 175 hp motor.(not sure what year) Are they worth rebuilding? I know I could pick it up for almost nothing. Any good motor rebuilders for these jet drive motors or maybe find someone who sells rebuilt motors and drives in a crate? Any info appreciated.Thanks.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
How much you looking to buy the boat for? Do you know what caused the seizure? I assume no oil or bad oil injector. If you can find out from a mechanic how much damage and possible cost to rebuild. I would say it's worth it to get it running again. Those are great little motors. I have that same one in my boat and it is an awesome running motor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I can get it very very cheap. They were talking about sending it to the scrap yard. I know the jet pump was severely clogged prior to the seizure. At first I assume they might have overheated the motor. I not sure. I just don't want to get into a can of worms trying to rebuild the motor on this boat.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
Seems like it would be fairly easy to pull that motor. Jet Pump was clogged? What the hell did this guy do to this machine? Wow.

What is the condition of the boat?

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
QUOTE(pquest29 @ Jul 15 2009, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've heard it is difficult to get parts for those motors?

I needed a special oil cap for mine recently and Blue Water Marine had it in stock n problem. I looked it up on Mercury Parts Express. All the parts diagrams are up to date and most parts seemed available. Of Course I didn't look at every part but it was all complete.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
That should be that little merc jet drive, right? Or did they go to something else in the newer ones?

If you tried driving it around with the jet pump clogged with weeds, it probably overheated and siezed. If you know what you're doing you might be able to get away pretty cheap fixing it. Or you could see what you could find used, or talk to SBT. they might rebuild those, but I hear their motors aren't anything spectacular quality-wise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts