Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. My first post at this site and it looks pretty impressive. I'm going to be coming in from n.e. Ohio to fish Lake St. Clair the weekend of Sep. 26th. Will probably be staying in the Roseville area. I'm looking for a recommendation on which boat ramp to use, bait store to purchase license, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
What size boat will you launch? Have you fished the lake?

h2o<------needs to know!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
"SeaTurd",...what a great name!!..LOL You can stay at any number of motels along M-59 (Hall Rd.) There's also a great ramp where Hall Rd ends at Jefferson., right at the shore line of St.Clair. It's called the "Selfridge" launch and it's right by the Selfridge ANG Base. Just north of there about 150yds on the right, is "Selfride Bait and Tackle". The owner's name is Brian Ward, and he's a good friend of many of us on this board,....he's a darn good tournament fisherman and he'll be glad to get you hooked up (pun intended!) with everything you need, such as ...licenses (Mi Only), baits, tackle, misc. stuff etc..etc. If you plan on fishing Canadian or Walpole Indian Water
you'll have to get those licenses through "Lakeside Fishing Shops" or over in Canada. Right now a lot of the fish are in the channels and up in the St.Clair river, (fish deep), so you can fish all the water you can handle and still be in US waters. The Walpole waters close soon anyway so I wouldn't bother with that license....they're guiding duck hunters anyway, so best to stay clear of those areas. You'll get a few other posts here too...this is a great website and lots of knowlegable people hang out here,........good luck,.....have fun,..and enjoy your stay,..Michigan ROCKS!! (GO BLUE!!!) LOL Had to throw that in !!

Mac

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm launching a 16' Lund Rebel with a 25 hp on the back. We'll be fishing U.S. waters even though I do have a Canadian license from earlier this year. I've fished St. Clair one other time, a year ago in June. My first fish ever to come out of the lake was a 42" muskie, caught within 15 minutes of being on the water.
It was photographed and released btw. Ended that weekend up with the muskie, a 12 lb pike that was also released, two 20" walleyes and a few perch that went in the freezer and I don't know how many smallmouths that were all released. Well over 100 smallies during that weekend. It was unbelievable.

And uh, that would be Go Bucks!

The name comes from the name I gave my first boat... a piece of crap 14 footer. I was just glad it floated....

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
SeaTurd: There's also a excellent launch off jefferson just west of crocker road. And there's Professional fishing center right there. To get to it you would take I-94 east to Metro-Parkway turn right go down just a bit and turn right again on crocker take that a short way the road ends and turn right again, you'll see the bait store (professional fishing center) on the right side of the road, just a short jog down from there is the new launch on the left. Hope you do well fish deep this time of year.

h2o<-------says welcome to michigan again!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(h2o @ Sep 11 2003, 08:56 AM)
SeaTurd: There's also a excellent launch off jefferson just west of crocker road. And there's Professional fishing center right there. To get to it you would take I-94 east to Metro-Parkway turn right go down just a bit and turn right again on crocker take that a short way the road ends and turn right again, you'll see the bait store (professional fishing center) on the right side of the road, just a short jog down from there is the new launch on the left. Hope you do well fish deep this time of year.

h2o<-------says welcome to michigan again!!!!!!!
How deep is deep on LSC?

We find walleyes in the weeds this time of year in our local lakes. They can be in 6-12 feet of water even in the hot weather. The one time I was at LSC I do recall some pretty decent weedbeds out to about 15' deep. I was thinking of focusing on the edges of these weedbeds unless I get some better advice. I'll be dividing time between fishing for walleyes and smallmouths while maybe occasionally trolling some large cranks for the pike and muskie.

·
Registered
230 Posts
For walleye right now you would need to fish at least 15ft deep. Most reports I've heard came in about 18ft along the shipping channel. I caught a handfall a couple weeks ago in 15-16ft by the shipping channel. Check out the fishing report by Cory on this forum. A good indication on where to go. Also, I agree with h2o on launching on Jefferson by Crocker. Especially if you stay in Roseville because it is the closest ramp to that area. It is also close to the area you'll probably be fishing (mileroads, shipping channel). If you decide to fish in Anchor Bay, then you may want to launch at Selfridge. The wind can kick up very quickly and badly this time of year, and you don't want to haul across the lake in rough water with a 16ft. Good luck to you.

p.s.
Very nice muskie. Hope I can land one of that size this year

1 - 8 of 8 Posts