Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
12,052 Posts
Well, the first three (3) weekends at Metro beer got spilled on the cockpit carpeting. Not to mention the broken glass beer bottle someone stuck in the ice maker.

Anyways when the sun heats up the back area it smells like a brewery.
Anyone any good with carpet cleaning. I borrowed a Bissel carpet shampooer before and did them but wasn't really happy with the outcome. It had turning brushes and everything.

What do you suggest? Anyone have a machine that works good? Only the outside, rubber backed carpet. Its like a berber kind of. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Try takin it to the quarter car wash while they are still runnin the hot water and try rinsin it out? Of course it will take forever to dry. Maybe do it on a sunny day and lay it out in the sun? Took ours to chem dry and wound up never putting it in for the reasons yours is dirty. Not to mention what cigarettes can do to a nylon carpet. It sure is easy to hose out the cockpit after a night out than it is to shampoo the carpet. After seeing how dirty the bare floor gets its crazy to think all the sh*t would be on the carpet.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Go to Sears Hardware and rent the "Rug Doctor" machines they have there. Get the cleaning chemicals they sell for them also. I did my whole house with these and they work great. Just make sure to use the hottest water you can get and go slow. Works great on berber carpet.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Spilled beer on a boat....wonder how that happened????

I've got a carpet cleaning machine you can use. Once cleaned, try Freebreeze.

Let me know if you want to borrow.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
This is going to sound a little strange, but trust me, it works great...

Take hot water, put it in a bottle sprayer.

Wet the carpet.

Get the yellow can of "Tuff Stuff" carpet cleaner.

Take a rubbing wheel and clean lambswool pad. "Rub out" the carpet using the tuff stuff... work it into a lather.

Take a WHITE towel/rag and dry off.
As I said, sounds very strange, but works awesome... It's obviously a little labor intensive, so it works much better for spot cleaning.
Good luck

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Jim, I have a upright carpet cleaner with attachments. You can borrow it......Also, Beth has always swore by that Roll-Off we all use to clean the gel coat. Rich and I bring the carpets home and clean in his stations commercial washer or I've power washed them outside in the backyard.

Maybe you need to go back to no shoes, no bottles if your boat is that trashed in 3 weeks! WOW!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Spilled, or puked?

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
If they snap out take to a carpet steam cleaning place took mine to modernistic in troy on Rankin street.
for the cabin ones that didn't snap out I hired dookie she has a steam cleaner that I thought worked really good and she did a great job spent quite a bit of time making sure she got everywhere good and put a deodorizer mix in very reasonable price too.

Start a no glass rule for future guest. Can't believe someone would do that to your ice maker and not tell you even if it was an accident not cool at all.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
By the looks of some pictures I saw a few weeks ago, the carpet is not the only thing that needs cleaning. While your at it , give the helm a good scrubbing and disinfecting!

If you don't have any luck with the above, try water and white vinegar. It works wonders on dog mishaps. (3 part water, 1 parts vinegar).

·
Registered
673 Posts
Who the heck is abusing alcohol on your boat Hammer?!

Lowe's rents our the Rug Doctor too? Heard they work good but have never tried it?

But the water/vinegar combo does work!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ May 3 2004, 01:16 PM)Jim, I have a upright carpet cleaner with attachments. You can borrow it......Also, Beth has always swore by that Roll-Off we all use to clean the gel coat. Rich and I bring the carpets home and clean in his stations commercial washer or I've power washed them outside in the backyard.

Maybe you need to go back to no shoes, no bottles if your boat is that trashed in 3 weeks! WOW!
Yeah and NO beer bottles!!

That really sucks, man!

I take mine out, lay it on my deck, soak it with the hose, get out a box of laundry soap and a stiff broom or scrub brush on a broom handle. Sprinkle soap generously, and begin scrubbing! I got mine with out the rubber backing, so I can do both sides, and rinse a couple times. Then I hang it over the rail on my deck and let it dry.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
QUOTE(SKUZA @ May 3 2004, 12:56 PM)Try takin it to the quarter car wash while they are still runnin the hot water and try rinsin it out? Of course it will take forever to dry. Maybe do it on a sunny day and lay it out in the sun? Took ours to chem dry and wound up never putting it in for the reasons yours is dirty. Not to mention what cigarettes can do to a nylon carpet. It sure is easy to hose out the cockpit after a night out than it is to shampoo the carpet. After seeing how dirty the bare floor gets its crazy to think all the sh*t would be on the carpet.

I want to see this

waxonwaxoff has a good idea

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
QUOTE(Madmax @ May 3 2004, 04:51 PM)QUOTE(SKUZA @ May 3 2004, 12:56 PM) Try takin it to the quarter car wash while they are still runnin the hot water and try rinsin it out? Of course it will take forever to dry. Maybe do it on a sunny day and lay it out in the sun? Took ours to chem dry and wound up never putting it in for the reasons yours is dirty. Not to mention what cigarettes can do to a nylon carpet. It sure is easy to hose out the cockpit after a night out than it is to shampoo the carpet. After seeing how dirty the bare floor gets its crazy to think all the sh*t would be on the carpet.

I want to see this

waxonwaxoff has a good idea
Give me his carpet and $1.50 and I'll show ya!

·
12,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I went to the boat after work and brought the carpet home. Spread them on the driveway, scrubbed them with some soap stuff and a stiff brush, then power washed the heck out of them. We'll see how it worked.

·
12,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(threecrabs @ May 4 2004, 09:19 PM)Well, how did it work??? Those rugs smell better now? Hope so

Beer's gone. They're still drying. We'll see.

Rich, I do want to give you the carpet protector inside though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts