Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Back in the 90's I had a 15 foot fiberglass 4 seat hillbilly boat, upgraded to a 25 foot 74 Carver Monterrey (sp) my current boat is a 28 foot 1977 Carver Santa Cruz..

Next boat should be the Carver 36 Aft Cabin, something in the mid 80's model... At least I hope

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
In May of 2006 we got a pair of old (1986), used Sea Doos. We had those for about 3 months, then sold them and got our 18 foot open bow. Finished the 2006 season with it, had it for the 2007 and 3 months of the 2008 season before we got the Rinker we have now.

We used to launch the 18 footer at Harley Ensign and take it up as far as the Blue Water Bridge, down to Pesch Island, and nearly all points inbetween. It helped us learn the basics that we got a clue of in boater safety class, and showed us what we really wanted in a boat.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
The first two are one of my dad's first boats in the 60s. That's me or my brother and my mom pregnant with me or my sister.

We live on that property now. Tore the house down around 15 years ago and built our current one.

The second is our canal around the late 50s. The third is the same canal last year. Those boathouses on the left are still there. The property has been in the family since 1936.

The last one just for fun is our backyard in the late 50s. That was a baby shower for someone. The interesting thing is the outhouse in the background.

My dad had several boats one he had custom built by an ex Chris Craft engineer. A 25' cabin cruiser. It was built a couple canals over from us in the early 70s in a barn over where Rose Marine is right now. He used to keep it at a marina on that island behind Munchies Bay.

When we were teenagers he bought a 19' open bow for us kids. I bought my first and still have it in 1996. (Don I know you're reading this and I am not trading up)

Matt

Plant Dress Vehicle Tree Window

Plant Window Tree Motor vehicle Mammal

Water Plant Sky Nature Tree

Water Sky Plant Lake Tree

Table Furniture Window Dress Smile

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
Started off with a couple of Sea Doo's in the mid 90's, from there

1991 24' Sea Ray Sundancer
1996 24' Monterey
2003 28' Regal
1997 25' Checkmate
1988 30' Sea Ray Weekender

I've got pictures of all, but they're at home.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Wow pretty cool old pics! My dad always had boats when I was a kid but they were mostly for duck hunting. My first memories of being on a boat was in a 12' my dad had at my grandparents place near Tawas. He moved from a 12' to 14' to 16' then built a 21'! he even went so far as to buy the bare hull of a Nova Scotian fishing boat at 25' that he was going to finish. That home made 21' with a 1967 Evinrude 60hp was my first boat ( I bought it from him) but over the years and an uncorrectable design flaw it rotted out. I had a little 15' 'glass runabout thing that I picked from a trash pile as a teen. I've had a couple layout boats and a marsh boat for duck hunting then these...

2000 Lund Alaskan
Water Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Lake Shorts Leisure

1982 Starcraft Islander
Plant community Hood Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
My family started with a late 70's checkmate that took us through our childhood and into early adulthood. Wish I had pics of it scanned, but it was a lean, mean, 16 footer with a merc 115 on the back. Learned how to swim from it when my dad threw us overboard as toddlers, and learned to ski and tube and fish off it too.

it eventually died, and i spent a few years whoring on my buddy's dad's 36 foot carver. When I got enough together, and a truck, I bought my first boat:

1996 Wellcraft Eclipse, with a shitty trailer!

Sky Water Boat Cloud Watercraft

Can't say what'd be next, but it'd most likely be a current 21 foot center console tracker. Ducked out of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Grandparents had a 40 ft house boat they kept at Sunset marina as a week end get away growing up. They also had a 14 foot mirrocraft to run around the island n fish. Spent many weekends on the island until I was 16 an dI got my license.

Stayed off the water except fo rthe occasional jet boat run or jetski rides w friends. Silver lake sand dunes and 4 wheelers took over until I was 23 and started boat whoring with a buddy on week ends, that turned into an every week end occurance...

One week end no one was heading out so I decided a jet-ski was in my future, while shopping I was side tracked and a 1989 24' Chaparrel Villain III ended up in my driveway about 6 years ago... Great Trailer boat kept me occupied for 3 seasons...
Looks like its for sale again in Toledo....
Wheel Tire Watercraft Vehicle Plant community

2 seasons ago I upgraded to a Wellcraft Martinique 2650 and dont see any reason to change what works as of now...

Boat Sky Water Vehicle Watercraft

Attachments

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
In High School, Jason and I abused my stepfathers dinghy. It was a 10 foot zodiac with a 9.9, then when I graduated, I was given a Lund jet boat to use as mine until we blew the engine apart 1/2 of 1 season. I then bought a new 204 sport Baja in 1992 and used it until 2001 when I started dating a woman with a child. I bought (with our relationship in mind) a 1987 268 Sundancer. She promptly left me and I called the boat Hazy Memory. I kept that boat until it went away with the divorce the year before last. Joe Simasko gave me the 15 foot 1967 starcraft for repair work. I inherited the 426 Commander ChristCraft when my step father died. I'm now thinking about a Sea Doo jet boat for the spring and passing on te starcraft to another home.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
First boat was a 20ft Thompson Carerra

Second boat was a 1988 27 Sundancer that I bought from Pyrate Jim. Was a great boat for a couple seasons

Third boat is a 1996 300 Sundancer that has been great, but is currently for sale as we are looking for something bigger.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Never "owned" a boat till I was 20 and lived in MI... then it was a 21' 1952 Chris-Craft Monterey Express Kit Boat, bought in 1973 and had until the mid-80s. Second "owned" boat is what I have now.. 31' 1973 Silverton Sportfisherman. First boating experience (8-10yrs old) was canoeing and rowboating various lakes and tributaries of the Hudson River in lower NY state and running the Shinnecock Inlet (Long Island, NY @ age 13/14) to fish for Blues, Flounder, and Stripers in a 17' wood, outboard-powered, open boat (essentially a large rowboat). The 1st real motorboat I ever drove was a girlfriend's Dad's 18' ChrisCraft Mahogany runabout (abt 15yrs old) we used for water skiing on Great Peconic Bay (LI, NY)... THAT's the one that got me hooked!

·
Registered
954 Posts
16 ft Chrysler Conqueror 105 HP Outboard 50 + mph
24 Sunsation Rocket 330 IO 65+ MPH
32 Sunsation Dominator Twin IO 330's 73+ mph
32 Sunsation Dominator Twin IO 600 Blower Motors 90 MPG
34 Phantom F-2 Classic Twin 650 Normally asperated Motors 98+ mph
Next is unknown but always looking.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts