Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Boat collision on the lake last night

8K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  Storm 
#1 ·
On Fox2 this morning, they said there was a boat crash right around the Coast Guard station last night around 1:30am. They said there were people in the water (7 IIRC) and at least 1 still missing or more...

Anybody hear anything?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Police Search For Missing Boater
Man Missing After Boat Collision

POSTED: Sunday, June 21, 2009

ST. CLAIR SHORES, Mich. -- Search crews are looking for a missing boater after an accident in Lake St. Clair Sunday morning.

Seven people fell into the water when two boats collided around 1:30 a.m. The boats involved were between 18 feet and 24 feet in size. Crews rescued six people from the water, but a 28-year-old man is still missing. Three people were hospitalized and one is in critical condition.

Source

#14 ·
i heard one drivers name was tom and other drivers name was kellys of other boat roomer was they where friends had got in fight racing back from shores and somehow crashed into each other? one of my buddies just called me and said this was his old boss that owned a auto shop on gratiot.

#15 ·
Audio is on the scanner page. It covers everything from 1:34 am until 1:13 pm when the pon pon was resolved. Very sad.

Source

UPDATE: Body found in Lake St. Clair

Macomb County Sheriff Mark Hackel said rescue crews have recovered a body believed to be that of a boater who had been missing since about 1:30 a.m. following a boating crash.

The body was located about 1 p.m., he said.

Crews had been searching for nearly 12 hours for Thomas Albert Moravcik, 28, of Chesterfield Township.

He was on a power boat with his girlfriend when it collided with another boat carrying five people early this morning.

Hackel said the cause of the incident is under investigation. He didn't know how fast either boat was traveling.

Rescue crews responded to the scene and were able to rescue six of the boaters, he said.

Moravcik's girlfriend and two other boaters were taken to St. John Hospital in Detroit. Hackel said the missing man's girlfriend suffered serious injuries; he didn't know the extent of the injuries to the other boaters.

The operator of the boat carrying five people called 911 to report the crash, he said.

None of the boaters were wearing life vests.

An update on the hospitalized boaters' conditions was not available

#18 ·
Very sad indeed,

did see the Cris on land early this afternoon and from what I heard (just heard) the other boat ran up his strearn and from what I saw (transom cracked and all stainless mangled) it looked like that. They didn't have a chance

#19 ·
prayers to all the families!

#21 ·
QUOTE(Sargent @ Jun 21 2009, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very sad indeed,

did see the Cris on land early this afternoon and from what I heard (just heard) the other boat ran up his strearn and from what I saw (transom cracked and all stainless mangled) it looked like that. They didn't have a chance

Very Scary!

#22 ·
QUOTE(Sargent @ Jun 21 2009, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very sad indeed,

Unreal.

Prayers to the families involved.

I was out early Sunday morning and saw the Coasties, Border Patrol, Macomb County Sherrif and 2 different tow service companies in the area (I was actually north of where the accident happened).

Got approached by the DNR and checked for license and a safety check at about 3pm and was told that there was an accident the previous night and that all 7 people died. I am glad he was wrong, but we were concerned all day about the search. Seemed like that the CG chopper was in the air non stop all day.

#24 ·
QUOTE(Chriznat25 @ Jun 21 2009, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On Fox2 this morning, they said there was a boat crash right around the Coast Guard station last night around 1:30am. They said there were people in the water (7 IIRC) and at least 1 still missing or more...

Anybody hear anything?

Boy, that is some really informational reporting by Fox2. Way to get the whole story to the public....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.