Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in the last post about a DNR launch near the 400 club. Can someone give me quick directions comming from I-94.

P.S. I'm going in 2 hours so please answer quick if possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
The only DNR boat launch I know of is at the Clinton River. I was not sure which one CBJ was referring to in the last post. I do know there is a launch just norht of 15 Mile, called the Admiral. There are a couple of exits off I-94 to get there, but the simplest to me would take I-94 to Metro Parkway. Go east to Jefferson. Make a right on Jefferson (Southbound). It is about a 1/2 mile down on your left. It is across the street from Eddy's Drive In (if that is still there. I haven' been there in a while) It is just north of the bridge over the spillway. Hope this helps. I am sure CBJ will see your post. He can provide more insight on the other launch

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The easiest way to get to the launch on Jefferson at Ballard is I94 to Metro Parkway east. Turn right on Crocker and then right on Jefferson. The launch is about 1/4 mile down on the left. You'll pass Professional Fishing Center on the rightr before you get to the launch. Tight Lines.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Good call. Forgot about Crocker. When I used to go there I came East on I-94, & would get off on Harper, take that to Shook, Shook to Jefferson, & Norht about a 1/4 Mile.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guy's, this will save me some time today which I'm strapped for.

Anyone know the lauch fee?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
It's an MDNR public access - $4 per day or $24 per year.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Didn't I read on some earlier posts that some of our fellow members were having trouble with some not so nice personnel at this launch? Has that cleared up?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found the launch no problem. Great directions! I did not have a problem with the attendent working Friday. Maybe someone else can fill us in on any problems encountered and if they are solved.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I fished out in front of the spillway from 10 to 12ft. of water on Thursday night for 4 hours and only came up with a total of 5 smallies, 2 rock bass and about 6 perch that were around 6 inches. It seemed as though the fish were scattered.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No I didn't fish near that launch. I fished a few miles away. I fished the same spots that I recently found for the second Friday in a row. Two weeks ago I caught a ton of smallmouth and Last Friday I caught only a few. Boat traffic was really bad on my spots and I think that hurt me a little. I was only out for a few hours each day.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have not been able to find the smallies out there. Last week I caught a couple sheephead about 2.5-3lb, & about 10 perch, small to medium size. That was from the spillway to just past Beacon Cove Marina. About 10ft of water. Maybe a 1/4 mile from shore. This past Friday I tried about 1 mile out in the same area & had one small perch and a sheephead. What r u catching the smallies on in this area?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have been dragging crawler harnesses with 2 small split shot about 3 ft. above the harness on one rod and casting jointed shad raps in fire tiger on the other one. It seems as though the crawler harness has been outperforming the lures. Hot color on the harness has been red and silver.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been catching the bigger ones on a spinnerbait. I've made a promise to myself that I am going to fish new areas or spots as often as I can this year. It has paid off really well for me. I'm really starting to fish fast with a search bait and only slow down when I either catch a fish, get a hit, or see one follow. Then I fish the area thoroughly with various lures. Tube baits always seem to outproduce the rest. My new theory is, if I'm not catching them very good on a given day, I want to not catch them on as many spots as possible. Obviously I want to catch them all the time. I just got fed up every now and then when I would come home from a bad day on the water and realize that I spent way too long in areas that wern't producing. I am a much better fisherman because of it. I am also enjoying the sport much more.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The area around the 400 Club up to Gino's seems to be weeds from about 4ft below surface to the bottom. Are u fishing above the weeds drawing them out, or fishing in the weeds? Thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you fish just a little farther off of shore you will see the weeds are not nearly as tall out there. Where we were fishing the weeds were roughly 6 feet down because I was just ticking them with the shad rap. The crawler harnesses I try to keep right on top of the weed beds. You will notice as you get closer to Beacon's Cove marina that the weed heights drop off.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Good luck let me know if you don't get into anything and maybe I can give you a few GPS coordinates where I caught a few of them. Planning on taking the kids out there tomorrow night since the wife is going out of town for the night.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That is part of my problem. No GPS to mark these spots. Have not been able to gather the money yet. The way it is looking, I may have to wait for Santa. I usually do pretty good without it, exept for the area out from the 400 Club north to Gino's. But I'll keep trying different distances from shore. Thanks for the help

1 - 20 of 22 Posts