Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, a great day of fishing saturday was ruined when I got back to the launch at Selfridge to find the fiberglass fender of my trailer smashed up.
I looked around and of course no one is parked in the spot next to me, no phone number, no note apologizing....Nothing but a busted up fender on a boat I have owned less than 5 months. Can't wait to see what this is going to cost. The money and hassle is bad enough, but for someone to do this and just leave! I just don't get it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Just sad isn't it?
A hassle for sure.
Shouldn't cost you anything. When you are hit in the parking lot and there are no witnesses, the insurance company will wave your deductable.

·
Registered
927 Posts
that sucks deadstick. i had a similar experience this weekend. not as bad, but heres what happened.

i fished wixom lake sunday. got there early and launched the boat. my friend dumped me and then went a parked the truck and trailer. apparently he was taking up the corner of another spot with the trailor. must not have pulled in far enough or cut out wide enough, i dont know.

but i had another friend who was fishing up there and got off the water at around 1:30 pm. he called me on my phone and said the DNR attendant guy was trying to pick my trailor up and swing it in a little farther. he said that the dnr guy had two other guys with him and they were trying to push, pull, lift, swing, etc my trailor over a few inches.

my friend went over and asked them what the hell they were doing and they stopped. but i had some words with teh guy when i got back to launch.

i can understand that the trailor was taking up a bit of the other spot, but from what my friend said, it was 2" over and wouldnt have been in the way, especially from the angle in which the next guy would have to pull in anyway.

no respect for personal property.

madman himself

·
Registered
243 Posts
Madman, we had problems all weekend with the same launch. It is very tight and i don't think the stalls are long enough. You had to have two guys watching you back out so nothing would get hit.

The boats are bigger now and so are the tow vehicles. They need to either eliminate a couple of spots and make them wider or add some more room to make them longer.

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
Deadstick,

Maybe it was your wife and a hammer?

Your suppose to do the honey dues before you go to the lake.......

Some guys never learn.

Seriously bud that does suck but the one good thing is your insurance files that under comprehensive.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Happened to me at Erie Metro. I looked around until I found fiberglass on someones trailer....the idiot pulled into a parking spot halfway across the lot to try and avoid it. I called the park ranger and they ran the plates and gave me all the info. Insurance covered it.

It stinks that people would do that....

Mini

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I must not have very good insurance, cause the deductible is not being waived. I will probably install the new fender myself and use labor estimate to cover the deductible!!!! If you guys could explain how the deductible gets waived, I will talk with the State Farm agent again.

ABA - Couldn't have been the wife, she was in the boat with me! Maybe she hired a hit man????

John - I thought of looking around as you did but I lose my temper a little too easy. I'm sure I would have done something stupid that I regretted later so I have learned just to leave the situation. It is a good idea though, and with all the busted up white fiberglass, I'm sure there was some left on his trailer.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Were you legally parked? That should be the kicker for your insurance....

I have also started to take pictures (with my camera phone) of the vehicles next to me in case something does happen. Of course that only works if the timing is right.

Mini

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(ABA @ Jul 19 2004, 07:21 PM)Deadstick,

Hey! leave me out of it.

I think it was a powerloader.

Sorry to hear man.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had someone hit my wifes car at work in the lot. The insurance covered the deductible.
I found the key to the whole thing is to keep saying
"hit and run"
The cops did not want to come out or anything till I
started saying "hit and run"...then they were there in
ten mins!!!!
If you catch the guy who did it, ie fiberglass on his trailer
then he can be charged with hit and run and for leaving
the seine of a accident.
The pontaic cop that came when it happened to me, told
me I could tell the guy he had to pay for a new paint job
or I was having him charged....insurace goes up, possible
jail time...ect ect ect.
I can not stand people who do this kind of thing. To me
it makes it look like they did it on purpose.

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Jul 20 2004, 08:32 AM)QUOTE(ABA @ Jul 19 2004, 07:21 PM) Deadstick,

Hey! leave me out of it.

I think it was a powerloader.

Sorry to hear man.....
Sorry to change the content of this thread...
But, I was wondering who would be the first one to mention "POWER LOADING" this season.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
This brings up a good point. Check with your insurance company to find out about your coverage. Most of us have comprehensive where the deductible is waived if you are not at fault in a parking lot hit and run. But some agents will include this in order to keep your costs low. But, I know from experience that the extra few bucks is well worth it. As laws change, it is a good idea to checkup on your insurance policy at least annually, when it renews. And don't be afraid to ask questions about how you are covered in certain events, like a hit and run in a parking lot. When they answer you, make sure they show it to you in your actual policy and aren't just telling you what you want to here.

If you are interested in comparing coverage, or finding a new insurance agent, please email me and I would be happy to refer you to my agent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts