Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great time at the boat show with the family. We enjoyed the show and dinner in the "D". However, the show was defintley scaled down this year. Many big names were absent compared to recent years...like Tiara, Pursuit..Everglades,albemarle etc.

·
Registered
528 Posts
First thought that comes to mind is.... Disappointed.

I understand the economy is not doing that great, but we do have people still looking for boats. SO many big names were missing, and way too many pontoon boats. If I paid for tickets (like I do most years) I would have been really pissed.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
If this year is scaled down compared to last I dont even wanna go! Last couple years I coulda and did walk the show and see what I wanted to see in about an hour. I already drooled on the big Sea Ray's at Colony's party so I guess whats the sense? Wheres those free tickets?

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
Its half the size as last year. Only one hall.

I wouldnt go so far as to say disappointment, but I can see that. I would be bummed for sure if I paid to go!!! Only 3 big boats total.

I dont think there were any more pontoons than usual - in fact less. But the % was def more!! Enough it could be called the pontoon/wakeboard show....

Still glad I went and will probably go again Saturday.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Action watersports is the Mastercraft dealer and they are not at the show.They are doing a in-house boat shoe at their dealership.At 350,00 to 500,00 I don't think they will be stocking a 300.I went thru the mastercraft factory in november and they were building one for a customer in Louisville KY.$440,00 and it was sweet.All custom made from granite countertops flat screens and leather curtains and pillows all custom made.The misters along the canopy frame were cool too.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
Let's not get on the complain train too heavy here. We all know that the seriously decaying economy is hitting everything that is a luxury. And boats are a luxury. I can't say that we can blame the boat show organizers for this small show. I would look at the cost of COBO Center. It is a Union operated building so that right there tells me it is expensive. I am sure it is extremely expensive to bring one boat down there. And how many of you are going down to sign your name on the dotted line for a $500K yacht. Or even a $150K cruiser. Not I, and I am sure not many of you. So without selling one of those boats is a loss in show. It's about making a profit for these dealers. No profit, no show.

By way of comparison, my company has a booth at a trade show that I am going to in San Diego next month. It costs our company approximately $1.5 million to be at. And that is fitness equipment not even comparable in space size to several yachts or sport boats. Granted, we are talking about Detroit compared to San Diego, but it has got to be comparable in many ways.

I predict we see the end of days for the Metro Beach boat show soon. That has dwindled down to almost nothing. Once again, all I hear about that is cost of show as well.

If anything, we as a boating community just thank the fine people that set up these shows and appreciate what we have. I personally look at the show as something to do in an otherwise boring winter day in Michigan. And those fine people have thrown out thousands of free tickets to this. If you still do not have tickets for the show, let me know. I will try to get them to you asap.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
QUOTE(Torch Laker @ Feb 15 2010, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The MBIA which runs the Cobo show and The spring boating Expo in Novi have bought the Metro beach show.I hope they can breathe a little life in it.

I think that is good news. Would be nice to see something different. The big yellow tent needs to be a big white tent to start. That yellow really hurts the eyes for the vendors all day.

·
Registered
314 Posts
On a side note, my father attended the Miami boat show last week. He sent me a note saying that there were many, many vendors that did not show up this year. Lowrance Electroncis did not even have a booth there.

So it is not limited to just the Detroit show.

fenfen

·
Registered
528 Posts
QUOTE(fenfen @ Feb 15 2010, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On a side note, my father attended the Miami boat show last week. He sent me a note saying that there were many, many vendors that did not show up this year. Lowrance Electroncis did not even have a booth there.

So it is not limited to just the Detroit show.

fenfen

Good to know.

·
12,052 Posts
We all went yesterday. Thoughts? glad the tickets were free..... I wanted to look at new inflatables and there were only a couple there. Mike's Marine inflatable store closed... and Wolfe marine did not bring any AB dinghy's to the show.

Dinner at Pegasis was great...

·
Registered
235 Posts
many good points sited here...It is still a nice way to spend a winters day (or night-as show runs till 9:00 tonight). Come on down, see some boats, see some friends and have a good time. I know that we ran into a ton of people we know yesterday and had a good time. The vendors all spend alot of money to go down - show your support for the boating community! I heard that bell ringing from Wilson Marine all week-end (when they sell a boat). Lot's of good deals on jet ski's also. Jefferson Beach Marina is putting in 10 NEW Jet Ski floating docks/ramps they will be renting out at the foot of D-Dock. Check out JBM page on FaceBook and Join the group for marina updates/discussions. You know the boaters & vendors want this economy to turn around to keep the show going as it's our "way-of-life".

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
QUOTE(petep @ Feb 15 2010, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>many good points sited here...It is still a nice way to spend a winters day (or night-as show runs till 9:00 tonight). Come on down, see some boats, see some friends and have a good time. I know that we ran into a ton of people we know yesterday and had a good time. The vendors all spend alot of money to go down - show your support for the boating community! I heard that bell ringing from Wilson Marine all week-end (when they sell a boat). Lot's of good deals on jet ski's also. Jefferson Beach Marina is putting in 10 NEW Jet Ski floating docks/ramps they will be renting out at the foot of D-Dock. Check out JBM page on FaceBook and Join the group for marina updates/discussions. You know the boaters & vendors want this economy to turn around to keep the show going as it's our "way-of-life".

I heard the bell go off quite a bit on Saturday also.

Yeah, the show isn't as large as it used to be but they are showing the still somewhat affordable ways to get out on the lake. Makes sense not to drag the much larger boats down. Still had a great time and look forward to it every year, no matter the size.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would agree with the fact that there were too many pontoons and small bowriders that wouldn't even stand a chance on our lake, however there are also many inland lakes around here for which these boats would be sufficient for. I personally was dissappointed (as in other years) that there were no offshore go-fast boats. Formula usually brings a fastech to the show and they didnt even have one. What I see myself doing the most every year is enjoying the vendors more than the dealers. I like to talk with the sheriff (finally got set straight on the no wake zone in the middle channel) and coast gaurd and stop at alot of the other booths along the way.

Also the new owners of Jack's were there, i think they are the original owners and they were telling me that they were going to have the pool functional this year as well as a remodel.. But we'll see what happens.

Other than that it was a nice day to get out of the house and dream of summer again as well as see some friends there that i haven't seen all winter.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
QUOTE(petep @ Feb 15 2010, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Come on down, see some boats, see some friends and have a good time.

That is what I enjoy the most about the show. Seeing so many friends and friends-to-be downtown. The camaraderie is awesome. Talking about boat projects and the places we'll be out on the lake this season. It is really enjoyable. I am looking forward to my full day down there on Wednesday. And with the complimentary tickets from LSCN you have no reason not to be there.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor @ Feb 15 2010, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(petep @ Feb 15 2010, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Come on down, see some boats, see some friends and have a good time.

That is what I enjoy the most about the show. Seeing so many friends and friends-to-be downtown. The camaraderie is awesome. Talking about boat projects and the places we'll be out on the lake this season. It is really enjoyable. I am looking forward to my full day down there on Wednesday. And with the complimentary tickets from LSCN you have no reason not to be there.

That is the main reason I go. To see other boating people more so than the boats!!!

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.