Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We found a 1986 340 Sundancer for sale. Has everything we are looking for and more, nice layout and all, but has one thing that concerns me and I am not sure if it should or to what degree.
In 2001 it had all the "stringers rebuilt" Should I be concerned that they needed to be rebuilt, or find comfort in the fact that they were rebuilt? Of course a survey is a must on any boat we begin to look at seriously, but is this one that we should put on our list?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
there is nothing wrong with a boat that has had stringers replaced. i had a wellcraft and replaced the stringers. it was better then ever. most of the time you get a better job then from the factory.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
QUOTE(Pandora @ Feb 9 2004, 01:23 PM)there is nothing wrong with a boat that has had stringers replaced. i had a wellcraft and replaced the stringers. it was better then ever. most of the time you get a better job then from the factory.
Scott at Waters Edge is getting sued for that boat now.
After Jeffrey traded it in, they sold it to someone else. Last summer the engine failed and the owners are trying to sue them now.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
thats a bummer. i always wondered what happened to that boat. i knew the last three owners.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Of the boats that I have seen with rebuilt stringers, they are far better than original. A point of concern though is the seem or mating surface. I have seen them delaminate at that piont. Usually much better than original though.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
i say why buy a boat that you know had problems (although possibly fixed properly) when you can find one that doesn't and didn't have problems

it's a hardcore buyers market right now and used boat prices are cheap, people are dumping their boats just to get rid of their payment

wait and find a solid one that didn't have repairs

·
Registered
248 Posts
The key thing is did they do it right? My uncle rebuilt the stringers on his 39 SR and it's fine. I guess I would presonally be a little weary of it. If I were to pursue it further, I would talk to a couple surveyors and get their opinion. Just my $.02.

·
12,052 Posts
Most of those older searays will survey with water in the stringers. I say if it was fixed go for it. How else are you going to get into the raft off in August?

·
LSCN Sponsor
328 Posts
Boats of that vintage do have many stringer problems. You may have a perfectly good survey today and next year get a high moisture reading. You really have a safer bet with a boat that already has had the stringers repaired so you avoid the possibility in 5 years of facing the expense yourself. This is very expensive work!

I would use it to my advantage and bargain a great price.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all fo rthe input. Seems that majority agree that as long as it was done properly, could very well be better tha nthe original and at someone else's cost.

Its amazing that in a 340 Dancer, 1984-87 range, there isnt a whole lot on the market right now and what is there is either on the west side of the state, around Sandusky, Ohio or up in Bay City.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
go to yachtworld.com whole list of them. just to get the idea of a good price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts