Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at the Algonac Harbor Club for the weekend Antique Boat Show. On return to Jefferson Beach Marina cruised through Metro Sunday morning. In the back basin the starboard engine over heat bell went off. Temp was 280 degrees. Probably the Impeller. Shut it down and limped to the south wall. I am with Boat US for insurance which comes with $50 towing which will get you about 50 feet of tow. But, purchase supplemental tow insurance of $500 for I think $79. Called US Tow and they were there in 30 minutes. Towed me to Jefferson Beach and into my well. Tow charge was $337 but no charge to me. We all hate insurance premimums but supplemental insurance paid off for me. By the way, the Boat US tug driver was very experienced, professional and prompt. A good experience and saved lots of bucks.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Have ores will travel.
NO tow insurance.
I too overheated last week on our last day of a one week vacation up north. Yes it was a bad impeller that caused not only to overheat but.
1.The hi temps cooked a hole through exhaust bellows.
2.Under the prop (while removing to make repairs)found the shutter valve that melted down and worked its way down by prop in exhaust port.
3. I also opened the inlet to heat exchanger and found pieces of impeller.
New pump, housing, all new rubber (2 bellows and water supply hose) under $200.00 but it took me 10 hours to do the work.
I dont have a bell for alarms but noticed the temp gauge and swun around to head for our beach(small lake). I shut off the engine and then the radiator blew and the whole boat filled with a cloud. I didnt know if I had a fire or what and could'nt even see a foot in front of me I had all kids put on there life jackets and grabed the fire extinguiser. Once the cloud was gone it was sort of funny everyone had on a life jacket (good drill) we were fine but for a second I thought it was a fire and that we were swimming back and let her sink.
I guess I'm taking a gamble on getting the tow insurance when on LSC, especially after beaching on sand bar last in middle channel year while W.O.T. (wide open throtlle)
I ored back to boat ramp took two hours, why did'nt you come back on your port engine? Your tow in was only 2 miles per hour.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
When I ored back it was from the small lake up north. If I would of had to get tow after being beached in Middle Channel I would of paid dearlly, personnal loan.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
With my Safeco boat insurance, not only was it cheaper than Boat US insurance, it includes $500 towing insurance. I imagine I have to pay up front and get reimbursed or something, but no big deal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts