Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Anyone else out there get a call about their boat being vandalized? We got a call this morning and are going to check it out first thing Saturday morning. Just curious if anyone else who has their boat stored had anything happen. Dave didn't mention any other boats. Very few people (maybe only one couple) know that we had our boat there - and their boat is being stored inside, so I don't think anything would have happened to theirs. IF you've heard of anything, please let us know. This does not send good vibes about storing here - last year we were behind closed gates, this year we got put in an open, unsecured next door parking lot. A police report was filed by Dave.

PS - Full throttle is writing this as Pirate Jim had shoulder surgery yesterday and is somewhat out of comission for a little while.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Rut Row!!! My boat is in the old Lighthouse lot too. I didn't get a phonecall. What was done to the boat?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I just talked to Dave. He said that they will be blocking the entrance to the lot tomorrow. He also said that the police will be patrolling the area more regularly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
it is very disappointing to see this kind of behavior around all of our boats, the sad reaility is that every marina has a problem with theft. to help the problem with my marina, we will be blocking off our driveway monday morning. we can't help foot traffic but you won't be able to drive in. also the river and canal in that area stary rather thin if not open all winter so no one in there right mind will try to come in over the ice

·
12,052 Posts
Sorry to hear that. This is why I store inside a locked building. By the time you add up shrinkwrap and theft of any thing on the boat, it more than pays the difference of inside verses outside storage. Sue at Emerald City got me a great price at sunset harbor on harsens island. About $700. cheaper than inside at Schmid marina where I stored for 4 years.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We made it out there yesterday, and it appears from the shrink wrap job that our boat was the only one that was hit. The shrink wrap had definitely been slashed in several places, and Pyrate will contact Jim on Monday to see about having the shrink wrap done again as we can't leave the boat as is - with most of the shrink wrap cut off or loose. From what I could tell, it looked as if someone may have rifled through the boat, but didn't take anything. We had pretty much cleaned the boat out of anything of value before we dropped it off with Dave, and we had been back to the boat to put in a shrink wrap door, remove the batteries, and props the beginning of December. (We always take all of our electronics with us when we leave the boat - even if we will be back the next day.) I know this can happen anywhere, HCN where we kept the boat for the summer season, was hit early on this past spring by a bunch of kids. Luckily, everything had been recovered, but I do know of at least one or two boats there that had had their canvas slashed. (My boss 's boat was one of them, and he ended up leaving to go back up to Mac ' n ' Rays. ) We appreciate Dave's quick attention to this, and the phone call. We try to get out to the boat at least once or twice a month when it's in winter storage - just to check it out, and with Jim going for surgery this past Thursday, hadn't made it out during the week as planned. Hopefully no one else will have to deal with this. This will make us consider possible indoor storage next year or maybe getting a trailer so we can keep an eye on it from our own yard. Thanks everyone for your replies and concern.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Glad to hear there wasn't any serious damage done. My Chris Craft must be close to your boat. Its slightly closer to the road end of the lot, backed up to the old barn. It sux that there are people out there that think they have a God given right to mess with someone elses property. Wouldn't you have loved to have caught the bastards in the act?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Dec 21 2003, 12:46 PM)Sorry to hear that. This is why I store inside a locked building. By the time you add up shrinkwrap and theft of any thing on the boat, it more than pays the difference of inside verses outside storage. Sue at Emerald City got me a great price at sunset harbor on harsens island. About $700. cheaper than inside at Schmid marina where I stored for 4 years.
I agree with you Hammer...inside storage is key! Not every marina has theft problems...as stated. Some marinas do a great job in making sure your boat is safe with extra lighting and security. That whole area is VERY dark and very easy to get into.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That is terrible that people do this sort of thing. Glad nothing else was damaged.

QUOTEThis will make us consider possible indoor storage next year or maybe getting a trailer so we can keep an eye on it from our own yard. Thanks everyone for your replies and concern.

If you do not want to keep it at your house, Stoney Creek Metropark has an outdoor storage. It is $125. The lot is fenced, locked, and lighted. Plus they have patrols. And I don't know too many people that go to Stoney to vandalize
My dad stored his boat there, and now I store mine there. The only problem I know of in the last 10+ years (knock on wood) is a little sailboat actually blew off its trailer and hit the boat next to it. It does get windy there. But it is very safe
In fact I went out there last week to check on mine. It was dark out, and the gate was locked. The office was closed, so I went around back to try and find a guard (the only disadvantage when you want to get in). Althoguh they did not ask for verification when letting me in, I was there about a 1/2 hour, and security drove through twice to check on me. Just a thought

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
probally just kids with to much time on there hands unsupervised by parents. they caught some kids in troy here vandalizing peoples x mas decs. one guy set up a camera and caught them on tape.

least its not like a couple years back with that one guy going around burning boats. that guy had some mental problems big time thats my guess anyways.

but either way any dammage to anothers property isnt right.
to bad they cant catch them in the act then make them pay for new shrink wrap and have them do the install all over supervised of course.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
PyrateJim,
Have you been out to the boat? It looks like its been rewrapped. There are about 20 barrels (filled with water?) chained together blocking access to the lot. I hope everything worked out for you.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(blazmarine1 @ Dec 22 2003, 07:09 PM)PLEASE CALL IF YOU WANT ME TO REWRAP AT NO CHARGE! i can have it done asap, weather permitting my cell is 586-295-2081
dave
I received an email notification that posts had been made to this topic, all the way from the 22nd so I chacked them out. As per the quote, I didnt even have to call Dave back. He took care of it without me even knowing about it.

I just drove out to check (8:15pm) and see if what I read was true and it IS!!! Dave took matters into his own hands and rewrapped the boat without me even having to talk to him again about it. Being laid up after surgery made it real difficult and this coming snow storm got me kind of frantic, but there was no need.

DAVE, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!

Once again, Dave has put his customers concerns on the front burner and has taken care of them. I have ranted and vented about troubles with storing this winter, and have always made it clear that for the vandalism, I dont hold Blaz Marine/Dave responsible as he didnt do it and he subed out the work as most marina's do. Not to mention that I now have a strong idea of who did the damage to the shrinkwrap.

Again, Thank's Dave and as soon as I get the money flowing back over here, we WILL be talking about the mechanical work I want BLAZ MARINE to do for me.

THANKS AGAIN and please add me to your MOST SATISFIED CUSTOMER files

1 - 16 of 16 Posts