Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fall is here. The smell of hot shrink wrap... next spring is coming though.

After this summer I've decided that I'm getting too damn old for the hassle of trailering my boat. I'd like to just get in what ever car's at the bottom of the drive, untie the boat and chug on out into the lake. Watch the sunrise from the lake not the ramp. Or just pick up and go if I decide I want to go out in the evening. Then just tie up and go home.

Can anybody recommend a marina in the Anchor Bay area?
The boat's a 16 ft. Smokercraft, so I don't need much of a well.
(I also leave the gas dock with change from my $20...)
Thought about rack storage. It can sit on an outdoor rack as well as it sets in my yard.
Don't need much in the way of "amenities" maybe just some where to store extra grand children between boat rides? I can stash the trailer at home.
Don't need wifi or cable tv or water. Not sure what I'd do with electric (charge the trolling motor!)

What's a 16 ft. well cost?

·
Registered
92 Posts
QUOTE(Zolton @ Oct 8 2009, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fall is here. The smell of hot shrink wrap... next spring is coming though.

After this summer I've decided that I'm getting too damn old for the hassle of trailering my boat. I'd like to just get in what ever car's at the bottom of the drive, untie the boat and chug on out into the lake. Watch the sunrise from the lake not the ramp. Or just pick up and go if I decide I want to go out in the evening. Then just tie up and go home.

Thought about rack storage. It can sit on an outdoor rack as well as it sets in my yard.
Don't need much in the way of "amenities" maybe just some where to store extra grand children between boat rides? I can stash the trailer at home.
Don't need wifi or cable tv or water. Not sure what I'd do with electric (charge the trolling motor!)

Try Sun up you can rack or get a well

·
Registered
269 Posts
Try Sun Up, since Mike and his family took it back over the place looks great and Mike is the only person I let work on my boat. Tell Mike I recommended you and you might get a break on the price. Dont know what they want for a 16ft. well. Thats where I keep my boat.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I second that Mike has been great to work with, last week he pulled my boat so I could change the impeller in my out drive. I don't know how far you drive to get to the lake but the cost of docking your boat will be offset by the gas you save. let aloan the extra time you save.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Diver @ Oct 9 2009, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I second that Mike has been great to work with, last week he pulled my boat so I could change the impeller in my out drive. I don't know how far you drive to get to the lake but the cost of docking your boat will be offset by the gas you save. let aloan the extra time you save.

Good point. The big SUV with the hitch has a big engine and isn't happy burning regular gas. Just being able to stop on the way without finding room for trailer is a big plus.
I wonder how necessary an automatic bilge pump would be. A couple days of rain won't exactly sink the boat, and the floor's a composite with no carpeting.
Emailed Sun Up yesterday. Good location for me.
Tell 'em Shagnasty sent me?

·
Registered
269 Posts
QUOTE(Zolton @ Oct 9 2009, 08:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Diver @ Oct 9 2009, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I second that Mike has been great to work with, last week he pulled my boat so I could change the impeller in my out drive. I don't know how far you drive to get to the lake but the cost of docking your boat will be offset by the gas you save. let aloan the extra time you save.

Good point. The big SUV with the hitch has a big engine and isn't happy burning regular gas. Just being able to stop on the way without finding room for trailer is a big plus.
I wonder how necessary an automatic bilge pump would be. A couple days of rain won't exactly sink the boat, and the floor's a composite with no carpeting.
Emailed Sun Up yesterday. Good location for me.
Tell 'em Shagnasty sent me?

Tell him Jeff with the Lund hardtop

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(Diver @ Oct 9 2009, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Auto bilge is very important, it's not the rain if you have anything fail under the water line it will keep it floating till the battery dies

It's a tin boat with an outboard. I suppose it could pop a rivet. Short of pulling the drain plug... Murphy's Law of small leaks?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Rack storage is very nice. If you let it sit in the water, you'll need to paint the bottom or you'll have heavy scum and slime by July. It costs a little more, but your boat is always ready, the bottom is clean (like trailering) and it's secure.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(jeffff @ Oct 11 2009, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Rack storage is very nice. If you let it sit in the water, you'll need to paint the bottom or you'll have heavy scum and slime by July. It costs a little more, but your boat is always ready, the bottom is clean (like trailering) and it's secure.

When we had a cottage I left tin boats in the water all summer and never had any real problem, beyond appearance (and pumping out the rain water). Security is something to think about. Not much to steal if they don't take the whole boat. Pop the fish finder off and take it with me. Might be nice to just leave my tackle in the boat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I keep my boat on the salt river, my dad has 5 boat wells for rent. only three rented this season. give hime a call for next
year. his name is Rene Nuyts @ 586 725'0513 his price is very reasonable.QUOTE(Zolton @ Oct 8 2009, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fall is here. The smell of hot shrink wrap... next spring is coming though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts