Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will try to keep this short as possible but I need as much info as possible so hopefully I can get some opinions here.

First of all, I have been thinking that right now is going to be about the best time to start looking for a new boat. Not that there is anything wrong with mine but the kids are getting old enough where I think I need to start thinking about a little larger boat and one that has a cuddy. The boat I have always wanted is a Baha Cruiser 231 GLE. I have been looking a few used ones as I want to buy used not new. My problem here is that I have always had outboards and everything I am finding is an I/O. My fishing season usually starts around the end of March and wraps up the end of October or early November. So my first question is will an I/O meet my needs or cut my season short? Any personal experiences with I/O's would be appreciated.

Next, I have always said that I won't get anything bigger than a 23 ftr due to how much trailering I do and don't want to get a new vehicle just to tow a boat. As I am looking at used boats I am seeing some really good deals on the model boat I am looking for but they are in the 25 and 27 ft range. I have a Nissan Titan to tow my boat with and was wondering if anyone had any experiences to share about what they pull their boats with in this size range.

Finally, I have to say that I will be putting my boat up for sale as soon as I find the boat that I am looking for, I am not in a rush and don't want to be boatless so maybe the winter months will be better for buying?? If anyone runs across or knows of a Baha Cruiser 231 GLE for sale, please send me a PM and also if anyone has or knows of anyone looking for Seaswirl Striper 2101 DC that is setup to fish send me a PM as well. I have no idea what to ask for the boat right now without doing some research....Here is a pic of the boat....

Water Boat Sky Watercraft Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
Here is where you can get an estimate on what your boat is worth
www.nadaguides.com
We bought both of ours and sold the old one on craigslist. Free place to list it.

We originally had a cubby cabin but its so small in there it feels like a coffin. It also gets hot very quickly. It was heavy to tow and useless for fishing. We had a 21ft cubby. That thing was very hard to tow with a v6 jeep grand cherokee. Now we tow a center console with half the weight.
That was our experience but its all personal choice.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
First off nice boat. I recently downsized from a 22' bayliner with a cuddy to a 16' lone star. But now am going to be up sizing slightly to a 18 or 19 foot. For my 22 foot I pulled it with my bronco. My explorer with a v'6 would pull it just not up the ramp all that well. In my opinion I would say anything 20 foot or larger with an inboard you would want a v-8 in the tow vehicle. It is going to cost a lot more to tow an inboard boat around. I used to watch the gas gauge go down as towing it around due to the fact, In My Opinion, anything with an inboard is quite heavier than an outboard equipped boat. And yes now until spring is a good time to buy there are some great deals out there on boats right now whether used or new. Good luck in your choice and in selling your boat.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Wally Ranger @ Jul 20 2009, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ah yes. A simple case of "2 footitis"
Good luck on the sale and purchase Casey.

LOL, it isn't as much the size of the boat as it is the cuddy. The kids are getting to the age where they want to go out on the boat but they get tired or lose interest and if I had the cuddy they could go down below and rest or do whatever they wanted to do. I don't have the pleasure to live 5 mins from the lake so when I go fishing it is going to all day, not just a few hours. I like the hard top feature as well on the Baha. I knew I would eventually be going to a boat like this, I just didn't think it would be this soon. With the supply of used boats out there and the ability to get a potential deal due to people trying to dump boats I figured it was time to start looking. Not to mention, I am most ikely just losing more money on my boat each year I wait.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Good luck bro. That Striper looks like a killer boat. I can't help you with any of the information you are looking for...but can only suggest you also look into the line of Proline boats. They make a NICE boat in the style it looks like you are looking for.

Good Luck!! Can't wait to see pics of the new one!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Tami @ Jul 20 2009, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here is where you can get an estimate on what your boat is worth
www.nadaguides.com
We bought both of ours and sold the old one on craigslist. Free place to list it.

We originally had a cubby cabin but its so small in there it feels like a coffin. It also gets hot very quickly. It was heavy to tow and useless for fishing. We had a 21ft cubby. That thing was very hard to tow with a v6 jeep grand cherokee. Now we tow a center console with half the weight.
That was our experience but its all personal choice.

I am not too worried about the cuddy, as the kids will be the ones using it and the rest of the time it will be storing my fishing gear. I mainly troll, so I only need the back of the boat and the Baha's are setup to fish. I really only have the weekends and holidays to fish so I believe this boat will give me more options and hopefully eliminate most of the weather concerns. My boat right now holds 105 gallons of gas and has a 200hp main motor with a 4 stroke kicker and my truck pulls it fine. I really don't think another few feet will matter. i think the dry weight on my boat now is like 3600 pounds and that is without the kicker. The Baha has a dry weight of 4400 and only holds 75 gallons of gas. I would have to think they would trailer about the same.....? Thanks for the input, this is exactly what I need!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
i wouldnt want to tow anything bigger then my boat with that 1500 hemi ram i have. mines 6600 dry 175 gallon tank 25 ft. i really should be using a 3/4 or 1 ton but its a lease. and inboard/i-o will have a shorter usage season then outboard seeing you can raise your outboard and drain the water, thats why the momc stops keeping records after october most of the big boats wrapped for winter by then or will be soon

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I work for Dodge, so let me know how much you're total weight of the boat and trailer would be, and I can give you some good recommendations of which truck Dodge makes that would be suitable for towing your boat, if indeed you did need to purchase a new vehicle to tow.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jul 20 2009, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I work for Dodge, so let me know how much you're total weight of the boat and trailer would be, and I can give you some good recommendations of which truck Dodge makes that would be suitable for towing your boat, if indeed you did need to purchase a new vehicle to tow.

Thanks Peks, the only problem is that until I find the boat i am not sure of what it will be. I do know the dry weight on the 231 GLE is about 4400 lbs. My Titan has the V-8 and the 5.7 liter engine with a tow package and says it has a towing capacity of around 10000 lbs, so I know it will tow it but will it tow anything bigger?? The reason being is that I found a couple of nice Bahas in the 25 ft range with more options for almost the same price as a 23 with minimal options!! It seems that the bigger the boat gets the less of the demand there is maybe...?

I have trailered my boat into the UP to fish many times and just want to make sure I will be able to tow a boat for that far without worrying about something blowing up. I ask all these guys who I have talked to about their boats but these guys all live 10 minutes from Lake Erie, so towing the boat a few miles down the road is no big deal for them and they pull it with whatever they have.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jul 20 2009, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I work for Dodge, so let me know how much you're total weight of the boat and trailer would be, and I can give you some good recommendations of which truck Dodge makes that would be suitable for towing your boat, if indeed you did need to purchase a new vehicle to tow.

i work at mopar parts/warranty i have access to silent recall,vehicle specs,etc also

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
The Ram 1500 tow's up to around 9000lbs. But if you want confidence and a comfortable ride, I will show you some information on the 2500. It would be my personal choice also, if I went with Dodge.

2500 info

These charts show all the configs available, and the last column, Max Trail, is your maximum trailor weight available, when your vehicle is properly equipped with the towing package.

·
Registered
526 Posts
What is your GVWR (it's in your manual and possibly on your door sticker)on your truck ,that is the total of vehicle and trailer, and all equipment, that is the number you dont want to exceed cus if some thing bad happens it will be all your fault, unless your LE then your prolly fine , and sweet boat you got now wish I had your trouble,,lol

·
Registered
528 Posts
I scanned over some of this thread and not sure if it was mentioned or even a concern. You are going from an outboard to an I/O. Have you put any thought/research into fuel economy? My dads I/O with a 4.3L V6 gets about 30% worse economy than my Merc 225 Optimax. Both boats are 21' with about 400lbs difference in weight. If he had the 350merc V8, it would be even worse. Getting into big block V8's, those guys spend in one day for fuel what I spend in a month. Also, combined with lower fuel economy and a smaller tank, the range is going to be greatly reduced.

BTW, I love your striper and would be interested if I could ever sell my boat, but like you, I wouldnt want to give my boat away in this market. Out of curiosity, what does that Striper top out and cruise at? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(Nitro225Optimax @ Jul 20 2009, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I scanned over some of this thread and not sure if it was mentioned or even a concern. You are going from an outboard to an I/O. Have you put any thought/research into fuel economy? My dads I/O with a 4.3L V6 gets about 30% worse economy than my Merc 225 Optimax. Both boats are 21' with about 400lbs difference in weight. If he had the 350merc V8, it would be even worse. Getting into big block V8's, those guys spend in one day for fuel what I spend in a month. Also, combined with lower fuel economy and a smaller tank, the range is going to be greatly reduced.

BTW, I love your striper and would be interested if I could ever sell my boat, but like you, I wouldnt want to give my boat away in this market. Out of curiosity, what does that Striper top out and cruise at? Thanks.

Don't get me wrong... I love my boat right now, it is paid for, and has everything on it that I need. My first choice was a Baha Cruiser but it was and is out of my price range. In seeing what some of these used boats are going for I decided to try and take advantage of the market. I would much rather have outboards but I haven't seen a used Baha yet with outboards. I have talked to a couple of boat dealers and they all say that this Striper has been a good seller for them and is holding value a little more than other boats. I guess the new ones are going for low $40's and you can get a used one like mine for about half the price depending what comes on it. I can get a 23 ft Striper with a hard top and cuddy for close to what I THINK I could sell my boat for, but they are setup horribly to fish out of! The 23's have a step into the cockpit area and I bet my 21 has more room in the back to fish from. Most of these boats come stock with a 150 but mine has a 200. It pushes the boat pretty good, with a light load and a light gas tank I can get just over 50 mph, but rarely ever have a need to run that fast.

This is all great info, keep it coming!!!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
The only used baja outboards I have ever seen were twin outboard center consoles. I dont think the boat type you are looking at come in outboard configuration. I thought I recalled seeing a fountain a long time ago available in outboard format, but I think it was a 28-30ft hull.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(Nitro225Optimax @ Jul 20 2009, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The only used baja outboards I have ever seen were twin outboard center consoles. I dont think the boat type you are looking at come in outboard configuration. I thought I recalled seeing a fountain a long time ago available in outboard format, but I think it was a 28-30ft hull.

We may not be talking about the same boat... I know you can order them with outboards because I have seen them in the marina, they just arent to common. Here is a picture of the 25 ft version of what I am looking for. The boat is made in FL but years ago they came out with a Great Lakes Edition (GLE). They are pretty popular down in OH on Lake Erie.

Sky Watercraft Boat Boat trailer Plant community

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
LOL. We certainly were not thinking of the same boat...I was thinking of the Baja go fast boats...When you were saying you were going to fish out of the baja I was thinking of, I was thinking that was really interesting and to each their own.

Ever looked at/considered a Mako? Not sure if would fit the bill for you. Bass Pro has a 25' Mako in their offsite showroom with twin outboards (200mercs I think), its been sitting there for quite a while, it might even be a 2008 model. Mako was another brand I was considering in used condition next to a striper, but they arent that common up here and get pricey fast, but I would be willing to travel to get the right boat at the right price.

Here's a couple of slightly older ones...

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1997-Mak...around-94337552

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-MAKO-253-WA-95118550

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2002-MAKO-250b-95268188

Not sure if they have the cabin style you are looking for. Also, most have seen salt water duty, however, I have seen a couple of fresh water ones floating around out there. They were more southern and eastern seaboard boats until Tracker Marine bought them a few years back. Just throwing out some ideas for you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts