Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching OLN the other day and there was this show on about boating. Actually, there were two of them. The first was showing this 100 something foot long yacht. Very nice, for retired rich people in Florida, but not very much good info. Just eye candy I suppose. They also did a segment called the "Dockbox" that highlighted some products. That was okay. Showed some useful stuff.

The next show was a little better, altho poorly done. They showed a boat owner installing a chart plotter. Not too bad, other than the poor quality editing of the video. They also had a couple other things they showed and talked about.

I've seen a show on Speedvision once or twice. It was much better quality than either of the two shows above. It was called "Powerboat Television". They kept moving its timeslot around though. They almost always showcased a boat, had a segment on offshore, and highlighted products as well usually visiting some place by water. All in all a pretty good show.

There was also a show on do it yourself boating stuff with that clown sponsered by West Marine. He covered some good topics, but wasn't a very good spokeperson in my opinion. He also didn't spend the time he had on the things he was showcasing very well.

Sure would be nice to see a show, made locally, highlighting our area. With "do it yourself" kind of advice, trips, poker run video, etc. Maybe Mini could be the host and be our "Fred Trost". Have a segment with Camp2Fires too. A fishing segment, Sailboaters segment, everything to do with boating the lakes around us.

How about it? Any takers?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Speedvision usually has boat shows on during Sunday Mornings. I don't know the names, and I don't watch them religously. Just know they are on.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
SpeedVision runs Ship Shape TV and PowerBoat Television on Sunday mornings but only in the winter months. Should be starting up again pretty soon.
If I hear anything I'll post it.

NoCode

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
QUOTE(NoCode @ Oct 27 2003, 07:30 PM)SpeedVision runs Ship Shape TV and PowerBoat Television on Sunday mornings but only in the winter months. Should be starting up again pretty soon.

NoCode
Ship shape has been on all summer long but at stupid hours. Something like 11:00 at night. I will check the listing and let you know.

Your host John Briviskis

·
Registered
512 Posts
PBS has a TV show called 'Great Lakes Ports O'Call' that apparently is over for the season, but you can order VHS tapes of past shows. Personally never saw the show, but noticed it earlier as there doesn't seem to be too many boating shows on.

Great Lakes Ports O'Call Website

"television series features ports of interest for recreational boaters, travelers, and outdoor enthusiasts around the Great Lakes. Segments on navigation, boating etiquette and safety are included, as well as people of special interest, history of the featured port, and stories relating to events, entertainment and the overall splendor of the Great Lakes"

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Speedvision is now speed channel, and I watch Ship Shape TV whenever I come across it, usually on Sunday mornings. Yeah, it's not great, but he has done some pretty cool stuff, like rebuilding a transom, re-gelcoating, and some serious repairs to hulls. I've learned quite a bit.

I've seen Ports O' Call a few times but the old guy who is the host drives me absolutely crazy! He wears this tacky Captain's outfit and generally bumbles his way thru each show. But the subject matter is spot on for great lakes boating. They did 2 or 3 shows last year about places to go on Lake Michigan: Grand Haven, Muskegon, Little Traverse and Grand Traverse Bay. This got me even more interested, and inspired me to trailer my boat up to Indian River last year. I did the whole inland waterway, from Crooked Lake to Lake Huron. Total blast! This year I wanted to do Little Traverse Bay, specifically Sutton's Bay, but I never did get the chance. I haven't seen it in awhile though.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(Spider @ Oct 27 2003, 12:54 PM)Maybe Mini could be the host and be our "Fred Trost". Have a segment with Camp2Fires too.
I am game...

When do I start?

Mini

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
QUOTE(NoCode @ Oct 27 2003, 06:30 PM)SpeedVision runs Ship Shape TV and PowerBoat Television on Sunday mornings but only in the winter months. Should be starting up again pretty soon.

NoCode
I heard they dropped it! I post a thread a long time ago asking for protest. As much of a industry boating is you would thing there would be more. I loved Ship Shape, from what I have researched SS was going to be on PBS. Wrote them with no response.

The only one I know are on Sunday on OLN at 4!?!?!?!?!?

I've seen Port and like that one too, but that hasn't been on too.

Here of anymore let me know....!

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
QUOTE(Gus @ Nov 17 2003, 01:08 PM)Shipshape Boating is on the DIY channel (ch. 121 in Clinton Twp.)

Here's a link to their schedule....
SHIPSHAPE BOATING SCHEDULE

here's a link to the DIY Channel and a future listing for Shipshape...
DIY Channel
Thanks Gus

Figures...Comcast (the ONLY service out here) doesn't carry DIY

1 - 12 of 12 Posts