Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you base what weight to use @ what water depths,when trolling for walleye on the lake?

Thanks for any info

·
Registered
230 Posts
The weight is relative to the speed. The faster you go, the heavier the bottom bouncer needs to be to keep it on the bottom. I typically use a 1.5 to 2oz bouncer. If you find you are not on the bottom when trolling, make sure your speed is correct. For Walleye, around 1mph (give or take a few tenths) is a good speed. If the speed is correct, try letting out more line. If still no luck, try a heavier bouncer. Also remember that the type of rod and line can make a difference on what weight to use. You don't want a heavy weight with a very light rod & line. Good luck to you

·
Registered
82 Posts
a good guess is

1 oz per 10 feet

6 feet-5/8 oz

10 feet-1 oz

15 feet-1 1/2 oz

20 feet-2 oz

but speed plays a big factor also

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I have the weight thing down, now lets talk about speed. I have a minn kota 65# thrust. My boat is a 19' aluminum,the foot pedal has 1-10 for speed level how do I break that down to 1 or 1.5 mph?

·
Registered
30 Posts
if your trolling motor is pulling you too fast, you can use five gallon buckets tied to ropes over the sides of ur boat to slow you down. Its the same principle as seabags, but much cheaper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts