Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and girls I just got me a little boat and some crawler harnesses and bottom bouncers and I was wondering how to fish with them. Do you put them right under your boat or set them out back in your boat? And if you have any other suggestions please feel free to let me know. I want to get into fish so the little girl and girlfriend can have some fun ( then hopefully talk the girlfriend into a bigger boat)

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
when i us them i let the line out a little at a time until i feel them starting to drag bottom then i reel it in about 3 feet and set the rod i troll with them but you can drift if you give me the general location of where your going i can help you out a little more.

Congrads on the new boat

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
when i us them i let the line out a little at a time until i feel them starting to drag bottom then i reel it in about 3 feet and set the rod i troll with them but you can drift if you give me the general location of where your going i can help you out a little more.

Congrads on the new boat

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(wallysteve @ Aug 15 2009, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>when i us them i let the line out a little at a time until i feel them starting to drag bottom then i reel it in about 3 feet and set the rod i troll with them but you can drift if you give me the general location of where your going i can help you out a little more.

Congrads on the new boat

I would like to try the st Clair light, but I would have to find it. It seems like people are doing good by it. But it really doesn't matter where I go I just want to get out and do some fishing. Any tips on where to go?

·
Registered
207 Posts
QUOTE(jeffreynell56 @ Aug 15 2009, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(wallysteve @ Aug 15 2009, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>when i us them i let the line out a little at a time until i feel them starting to drag bottom then i reel it in about 3 feet and set the rod i troll with them but you can drift if you give me the general location of where your going i can help you out a little more.

Congrads on the new boat

I would like to try the st Clair light, but I would have to find it. It seems like people are doing good by it. But it really doesn't matter where I go I just want to get out and do some fishing. Any tips on where to go?

Well in general you would use a 1 ounce BB per every 10ft of water.Troll them off the back or side at btwn 1.0 to 1.8 mph. near the shipping channel and you should do fine. Get your self a chart of the lake,or a fishing hot spot map to find markers. The St.Clair light is the big green and white channel marker in the middle of the lake. I leave out of 9mile and I believe it is a 120 degree East heading.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
i use a 2.5 on the back rods a 3 on the front rods this prevents alot of tangles i dont pay to much detail to the angle i just make sure the bb's are just above the weeds dont let your lines out until after you acheive your speed as it will change your depth

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
1,435 Posts
u want to have a heavy enough bottom bouncer u can go with what the other guys said but i have trolled erie with 1 oz and fished 15-18' succesfully it all depends on the current and wind direction what u want is for the line to be at a 45 degree angle if anymore line then that is out the bottom bouncer will fall on its side and drag the harness on the bottom and u should get some inline boards that will improve catch rate hands down and 1.0 to 1.8 mph at the most and my best color on st. clair is hammered brass or copper with red beads and on erie purple blades are really hot i could go on for ever so pm if u need good luck

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(jeffreynell56 @ Aug 15 2009, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(wallysteve @ Aug 15 2009, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>when i us them i let the line out a little at a time until i feel them starting to drag bottom then i reel it in about 3 feet and set the rod i troll with them but you can drift if you give me the general location of where your going i can help you out a little more.

Congrads on the new boat

This is a great online chart of LSC

http://www.marinecruiser.com/chart.html

·
Registered
152 Posts
QUOTE(jquintano78 @ Aug 15 2009, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>u want to have a heavy enough bottom bouncer u can go with what the other guys said but i have trolled erie with 1 oz and fished 15-18' succesfully it all depends on the current and wind direction what u want is for the line to be at a 45 degree angle if anymore line then that is out the bottom bouncer will fall on its side and drag the harness on the bottom and u should get some inline boards that will improve catch rate hands down and 1.0 to 1.8 mph at the most and my best color on st. clair is hammered brass or copper with red beads and on erie purple blades are really hot i could go on for ever so pm if u need good luck

what length rods do you prefer?

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
1,435 Posts
for the inline boards 8-8.6' and for the boat rods any walleye rod will do

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.