Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the board and from what I have seen so far it seems like there are a lot of friendly and helpfule people here. So I have a couple questions.

This will be the first year I have to bottom paint a boat. WOuld like to know what is the best paint to use. Hopefully there is one that will last more than one season. My boat is 28' with a 10' beam so how much will I need. Also I don't know hwat type of paint is on there now but it seemed to hold up pretty good last year. Do I have to sand it at all or just go right over the top of the old stuff.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
The right way to do it is of course sand it off and the best paint I'm not sure of. I used just under 2 gallons 29x8. Mine lasted two summers.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Oh, WELCOME ABOARD!!!

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Funny I just read this!

"How much bottom paint do I need"
Feb 2003 Boating Life

A simple formula will give you a good idea of just how much paint you need for one coat. All you have to do is multiply the length of your boat (in feet) by its beam (in feet) and then multiply that number .85. Finally, you divide that number by the square feet covered by the gallons listed on the paint can. That shouls tell you just how many gallons you will need for one coat.

Length X Beam X .85 / by square feet coverage on can=gallons for one coat.

Talk to your local marine supplier to discuss paint types. There are many to choose from. Prepare to get dripped on.
Good luck!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Try the interlux web site. They have a lot of great info on bottom paints and what to use. www.interlux.com. In the past I always used the interlux fiberglass bottomkote and I could usually get two seasons out of it. I agree with fireman though. After awhile you do need to get rid of the old build up. It's a pain but it's something that needs to be done. On a 28' boat if you're real careful you should be able to cover it with a gallon. I liked it because it didn't seem to build up on the bottom to bad. This year though I'am trying out the VC off Shore. It's suppose to decrease drag through the water. Good luck! By the way I'am new to this site too. I think it's one of the best that I've found.
Bigwake

·
12,052 Posts
I have used VC paint on my last three boats and it rock's. I bought an offshore with interlux and stripped it, d.a. sanded the entire bottom (37 foot) and then painted it with VC-17. Picked up a couple mph. It has teflon for mileage and speed. It is copper based and is gold when you apply it and the water activates the real color. Comes in blue, red and brown I believe. My Cruisers Yachts has that Epoxy primer with VC-17 on top from the factory. On my last 34' cruiser it still looked great after three years but I put on another coat just for more anti- fouling. Also its so thin there is nothing to chip off. Acetone based so it evaporates VERY fast when applying. Dries in seconds.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Glad to hear you like the V C 17 offshore. I had the bottom of my 37 Sundancer stripped and epoxyed, and then they put the off shore on it. The guy who did it said I should get more speed and better mileage out of it. I'am really going to like it if it last for two years and there's no sanding or scraping.
Bigwake

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments. I will have some questions at the store. Interlux web site was a lot of help. Color is a real concern because my boat is teal and white. Hope to see some of you out at the Moot this year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts