Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boat has never been painted (2001) boat .Bottom has a couple of scratches . ( I know I have to repair ) I heard you should go 1 inch above water line ? I'm thinking more around 2 or 3 inchs ? I had bottom power washed last fall , My question Is where do you find water line , if it's gone ? They did a great job (..Becon's cove ..) How do you get started ? What type paint ? Or should I have somone do it for the frist time ?How much would it cost? 25 ft. I hear use ,this do this . So mean diffrent things ,

·
12,052 Posts
1 inch isn't enough. As soon as you load it up it will be under water. When I bought my last boat new I found one in the water and measured the water line on that one. I sanded the entire bottom with 320 or 400 paper to get the 'glaze' off then used VC-17 paint. With the matt finish it stuck excellent. I added more three or four years later for antifouling only. It never came off.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Hammer, or anyone else,

When using VC-17 paint, once it is dry do you have to put the boat in the water right away or can it stay out for a few weeks without loosing any effect of the antifouling properties? I am thinking of painting the hull around the end of march and then just a quick touch up at the stand marks prior to her going in, whenever that would be. Mid April I am hoping.

·
12,052 Posts
It is acetone based and dries in seconds. You can leave it out for a while. It will be gold (copper antifoling) when applyed then the water activates the color you select. It is SUPER thin and you should get a can of thinner to keep adding because it evaporates as you are applying. I did a 34' x 12' boat the second time in about 30-40 minutes. I was haulin' a$$ with a short sponge roller. Had the water line taped off and drives.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
I'm doing this now so this thread will come in handy.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
If it is your first time, you may want to consider using an Interlux water barrier. You have to put on about 5 coats, but I am very glad I did. I think it was the Interlux 2002 water barrier, but I can't completely remember. Then the bottom paint...

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
An epoxy barrier coat is a good selling point to a boat as well. They're a pain to put on though.

In addition to VC-17, there are other brands such as Interlux or even the high end West Marine brand is pretty good.

Be sure to sand off the gloss before painting. Other than that, everything else is self explanitory.

Instead of following the water line, you can also start at the water line in the rear of the boat and curve up with the bow or follow a style line of the boat.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
OK, I'm a little confused. I always hired this out, but this year I want to do it myself. There is already bottom paint on the boat, I want to sand it without stripping the bottom using what grit sand paper? Then I want to paint the bottom with a decent in-expensive bottom paint. What would you recommend?

·
12,052 Posts
Depends on the paint you have. Give Tango a call and see what he recommends. the only one I did I striped it first.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(Capt'n Rob @ May 13 2004, 12:15 PM)OK, I'm a little confused. I always hired this out, but this year I want to do it myself. There is already bottom paint on the boat, I want to sand it without stripping the bottom using what grit sand paper? Then I want to paint the bottom with a decent in-expensive bottom paint. What would you recommend?
80 grit is what most paints suggest on the can. West Marine's cheapest paint is good for a season or two and not too expensive.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts