Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
3,236 Posts
I got sucked in by the autpilot option and purchased a Minn Kota Terrova with a 54" shaft and 55lbs of thrust. I bought a power drive v2 with a 48" shaft and 55 pounds of thrust last year and was happy with it but when setting lines by myself trolling the river this year I found myself regretting not buying the auto pilot version. I went up 6" on the shaft since occasionally in large waves the prop would pop out a little bit so hopefully this will help out. I mainly use my trolling motor to troll the river and hopefully that autopilot works as well as they claim. Anyone have any experience running one of these and is their anything I should know about them, quirks etc., does the autpilot work? Probably should have asked this before pulling the triiger on it but I got excited.
Cabelas is now selling Minn Kota motors that were returned and repaired under the warranty period for substantially less money than a new one. They come with a one year warranty as well. I figure that somebody else has already worked the bugs out of it for me, I hope.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
I've got an 80# with a 60" shaft. What kind of boat do you have?

Make sure you've got a RAM mount support for the shaft for when it's stowed. They're like $70, and I consider them standard equipment for Terrovas. They keep your TM from banging around when you're trailering or mostly on the water. They'll also help prevent accidental deployment while running. Make sure you stow the thing all the way up to where the green light goes out. If it doesn't go out, it's not stowed. I know more than one person who's been on plane and the motor deploys itself over a wave. One guy it tore the whole motor off the boat, another it just ripped the head off and it was drug by the cables down the bottom of the boat for a few seconds until he could get off plane. Make sure you stow it properly!!

I don't have the AutoPilot, as I don't troll and it doesn't suit my needs. I do have CoPilot which is why I swapped out from a Maxxum. I love the CoPilot on mine Couldn't fish well without it.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
It works but, if its too windy and blowing the bow around, it it is slow to react and then overreacts. At that point I just use my copilot.

·
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jun 12 2009, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've got an 80# with a 60" shaft. What kind of boat do you have?

Make sure you've got a RAM mount support for the shaft for when it's stowed. They're like $70, and I consider them standard equipment for Terrovas. They keep your TM from banging around when you're trailering or mostly on the water. They'll also help prevent accidental deployment while running. Make sure you stow the thing all the way up to where the green light goes out. If it doesn't go out, it's not stowed. I know more than one person who's been on plane and the motor deploys itself over a wave. One guy it tore the whole motor off the boat, another it just ripped the head off and it was drug by the cables down the bottom of the boat for a few seconds until he could get off plane. Make sure you stow it properly!!

I don't have the AutoPilot, as I don't troll and it doesn't suit my needs. I do have CoPilot which is why I swapped out from a Maxxum. I love the CoPilot on mine Couldn't fish well without it.

I run a 16 foot aluminum center console starcraft. I ran the 55pound thrust all last season and it was plenty for my needs, really just wanted the extra shaft length and auto pilot. I will make sure I learn the proper position for stowing it away!!!

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jun 12 2009, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And don't forget the RAM support. Your bow and your MinnKota will thank you.

I agree with the need to support the head of your trolling motor. I was in a hurry when I first got mine so I looked around for a piece of 2X4. I found that it was just about perfect at 3.5 inches to fit between the head (top) and the top of the gunnel. So I got some velcro and put some on the gunnel, both sides of the 2X4 and a piece on the head of the TM. It does a great job of preventing the shake when traveling on land or water.

·
Registered
77 Posts
aprox value of motor what kind of shape (like new)only a year old may be interested or know somebody post or pm please

1 - 7 of 7 Posts