Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a topic from January about this shop - I never even knew it existed - has anyone been there recently? I need some stuff and some range time...

Can anyone recommend another "local" archery shop as an alternate (just in case)? I don't mind paying a little more than BPS or Cabela's for a local shop with good personal service.

I would also appreciate some recommendations for arrows & broadheads - I've been using GoldTip carbons with Rocket mechanicals, had these for several years and looking to upgrade - whitetail use primarily.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I recommend MJC archey in Clinton twp. Located on 15 mile just West of Groesbeck. Right next to wallyball place.

Ask for Jim. Owner, very knowledgeable and hunted with him too. Great guy. Buy some arrows or get tuned up you can use the range right there.

I used to use muzzys now I went to mechanicals, Snypers for greater cutting diameter and carbon express CX CD 300 arrows. I like them and have killed many deer with this combo.

I think its personal preference with arrows and broadheads.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Theres pro fishing and Archery just north of the spillway on jefferson and the is a bait an tackle archery shop next to the selfridge launch

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
QUOTE(fantastixvoyage @ Aug 27 2009, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd like to find a shop with some traditional equipment too if anyone knows of any? Willing to travel a bit.

In Clarkston, there is a place called Flint and Frizzon. It's on Dixie Hwy, a quarter mile north of I-75 on the west side of the road. It's exit #93. He specializes in black powder, but is a supplier of whatever type traditional equipment you want, or need. Not to mention, one of the last true gunsmiths around. His name is Bruce, and when you walk in the place, you swear you just stepped back into the 1800's. Seriously, it's worth the trip, just to stop in. You'll know your there when you see the Duck Boats in the front of the shop.

He is the one who got me addicted to tradtional archery. We used to go on rabbit hunts together, and plenty of deer hunts too. Just make sure your not in a hurry, he loves to talk.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I plug lucky's as much as I can. Clint really knows his sh*t over there, and was taught by all the guys everyone recommends you to go to. He doesn't price gouge, is willing to work with you, and again, his work really speaks for itself. He doesn't have a big place, but for a smaller local guy, I think the dude really puts out some work. He also has leagues, and ashort range that you can also shoot in from a treestand position (he uses his mezzanine and has added stationary treestands up there.

If you haven't already, give the fella a try.

·
Registered
183 Posts
QUOTE(scienceguru @ Aug 27 2009, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I recommend MJC archey in Clinton twp. Located on 15 mile just West of Groesbeck. Right next to wallyball place.

Ask for Jim. Owner, very knowledgeable and hunted with him too. Great guy. Buy some arrows or get tuned up you can use the range right there.

I used to use muzzys now I went to mechanicals, Snypers for greater cutting diameter and carbon express CX CD 300 arrows. I like them and have killed many deer with this combo.

Drive by there every day will have to stop in there and check them out.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Aug 31 2009, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I plug lucky's as much as I can. Clint really knows his sh*t over there, and was taught by all the guys everyone recommends you to go to. He doesn't price gouge, is willing to work with you, and again, his work really speaks for itself. He doesn't have a big place, but for a smaller local guy, I think the dude really puts out some work. He also has leagues, and ashort range that you can also shoot in from a treestand position (he uses his mezzanine and has added stationary treestands up there.

If you haven't already, give the fella a try.

I actually went on Friday - Clint was not there, but one of the guys (Jason) was very pleasant and helpful. I shot a bit, he watched and checked out my setup - I ended up buying some G5 Tekan's, and fortunately didn't need anything else - arrows were still good (they are re-vaning 3 of them for me), bow and string/cables were good (he put some good wax on for me, I need to have some serving done on the cable that apparently only Clint can do so when I go to get my arrows I have to make sure he's there to do it). Sign of the times that Clint has a "full-time job" so he's not always there, makes it tough if he's the only one that can really do the service work though. Shot through the chrono a few times but it wouldn't register properly for some reason, even though another guy shot through right before me and it worked fine?).

It is a nice little place - good friendly service is a winner with me every time. I will go there when I'm ready for new stuff (unless for some reason I decide to get a Mathews as they don't sell them) but the bows they had were SWEEEET!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(joemama @ Aug 31 2009, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(scienceguru @ Aug 27 2009, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I recommend MJC archey in Clinton twp. Located on 15 mile just West of Groesbeck. Right next to wallyball place.

Drive by there every day will have to stop in there and check them out.

I went to MJC last year - nice range, but they didn't have some of the things I was looking for and their service charges seemed pretty high (like to tune-up and replace rests/sights, etc.) - biggest issue I had was they were busy and told me "be with you in a minute" and it was like 20 minutes, then the guy was busy bs'ing with his buddy while trying to help me. Not the greatest experience from a customer service standpoint, and I'm pretty easy to get along with. Don't plan on going back anytime soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.