Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i usually go up to west branch once or twice every year to go bow hunting. we have a small cabin and theres some state land to hunt but its too far to go on weekends, too crowded and not many deer. Im just wondering if anyone knows of some places not too far were i could bow hunt on weekends? I dont have the opportunity to hunt much during the weeks because of school, but im looking to do a lot more hunting this year.
Any suggestions on state land, other places, etc.? Im all ears and open to what ya got to say. thanks

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
QUOTE(soule @ Sep 7 2009, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i usually go up to west branch once or twice every year to go bow hunting. we have a small cabin and theres some state land to hunt but its too far to go on weekends, too crowded and not many deer. Im just wondering if anyone knows of some places not too far were i could bow hunt on weekends? I dont have the opportunity to hunt much during the weeks because of school, but im looking to do a lot more hunting this year.
Any suggestions on state land, other places, etc.? Im all ears and open to what ya got to say. thanks

Theres state land at 25 mile and gratiot that holds some deer and there's also Wetzels. north ave and 26 mile area. Also a little farther north is the Port Huron State game area.

All have deer and are good places to hunt you just need to be patient and find out where all the other guys are hunting. preseason scouting is a must.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
QUOTE(scienceguru @ Sep 7 2009, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(soule @ Sep 7 2009, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i usually go up to west branch once or twice every year to go bow hunting. we have a small cabin and theres some state land to hunt but its too far to go on weekends, too crowded and not many deer. Im just wondering if anyone knows of some places not too far were i could bow hunt on weekends? I dont have the opportunity to hunt much during the weeks because of school, but im looking to do a lot more hunting this year.

Theres state land at 25 mile and gratiot that holds some deer and there's also Wetzels. north ave and 26 mile area. Also a little farther north is the Port Huron State game area.

All have deer and are good places to hunt you just need to be patient and find out where all the other guys are hunting. preseason scouting is a must.

I used to hunt a lot of state land in the area before I got permission on my current properties. I would avoid wetzel and especially the 25 mile state land. Heavily pressured and if you leave a stand out it will be gone. Take the extra time and drive out to bald mountain or the Port Huron state game area. Both of these areas are large and if you don't mind walking in a bit you can find a place away from the crowd. Good luck!

·
Registered
215 Posts
QUOTE(Tony @ Sep 8 2009, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(scienceguru @ Sep 7 2009, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(soule @ Sep 7 2009, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i usually go up to west branch once or twice every year to go bow hunting. we have a small cabin and theres some state land to hunt but its too far to go on weekends, too crowded and not many deer. Im just wondering if anyone knows of some places not too far were i could bow hunt on weekends? I dont have the opportunity to hunt much during the weeks because of school, but im looking to do a lot more hunting this year.

I used to hunt a lot of state land in the area before I got permission on my current properties. I would avoid wetzel and especially the 25 mile state land. Heavily pressured and if you leave a stand out it will be gone. Take the extra time and drive out to bald mountain or the Port Huron state game area. Both of these areas are large and if you don't mind walking in a bit you can find a place away from the crowd. Good luck!

100% agreed if u go to port huron try to stay away from the black river durin the first couple weeks there are lots of fisherman and hikers walk the river edge

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have hunted Bald Mountain in the past with success. Bucks are mostly small, expect spikes and fork horns. There are some monster deer out there however. And I wouldnt leave a stand out there, it will still be gone. There are areas open to hunting and areas that are restricted. You can stop by the DNR office out there and get a map that is clearly marked of what is open and what is not. I would love to show you around out there, but I have a honey hole that I would prefer to not give away as I plan to still use it this year on my mornings before work. You will have to spend a good amount of time scouting and creating a pattern for the deer to understand where to set up.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
I second Bald Mountain. I live next to it, and there are tons of deer, and please please please shoot some of the does that are out here. I'm tired of them eating all my landscaping. There are some large bucks in the area, but you need to put in your time and scout, I could put you on some, but where would you learn anything if someone gave you all the answers? General areas will work for now, then you can fine tune your spot. Orion Oaks, which by the way, is on the other side of me has plenty of deer also, and is bow hunting only. And once again, please shoot the damn does out there too. We need to lower the population of them. I think this year, I'm gonna open one of the windows (6' x 6'), remove the screen and shoot one from the hottub.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im pretty much gonna get a doe first. we havent had a deer in the freezer since 2001. My father grew up in Northern New York, and we are still trying to figure out the deer in michigan. He prolly wont hunt there because of work on weekends, but who knows. i want to go scouting soon, but im not sure were to start off. what are the best times to scout?

·
Registered
215 Posts
i lke to scout places i don't know midday then when i find a good spot if i have time i will sit there in durnin huntin time to see whats there don't for get small game next tuesday i would say go there next weekend with the shotgun gps so u can mark nice spots u find and when your scoutin u might just get a grouse or some squirrels out of the trip
good luck

·
Registered
528 Posts
Grouse are almost non-existant at BM from what I have seen. I go north for those...limit in less than 2 hours!

I wouldnt mind going scouting at BM with you as there are hundreds of acres I have never set foot on. I got put onto a couple of good spots and have never had any problems seeing the deer and dont want to give them up though. People hunt the area I hunt all the time, but they arent willing to go where I am so they are always a couple hundred yards away, pushing them right to me.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(Nitro225Optimax @ Sep 8 2009, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Grouse are almost non-existant at BM from what I have seen. I go north for those...limit in less than 2 hours!

I wouldnt mind going scouting at BM with you as there are hundreds of acres I have never set foot on. I got put onto a couple of good spots and have never had any problems seeing the deer and dont want to give them up though. People hunt the area I hunt all the time, but they arent willing to go where I am so they are always a couple hundred yards away, pushing them right to me.

alright, thanks. PM sent

·
Registered
193 Posts
St. johns Marsh also along Shea Rd just east of palms, and Alogonac State game.

Harsen's Island is a draw just like duck hunting

also Take I-94 to wadham's exit make right go about a mile I think you turn left at Rattle Run go down to you see the DNR Access signs. I might have the cross road wrong it's been 10 years since I was out there.

around 200 or 300 acres, opens fields corn, and thick river bottom woods and old apple orchard in the middle

Not to many people know about it also Port Huron state game take 136 towards metcalf and look for the state game signs. lapeer and Deford state game, also check with DNR ask them If they know of anyone that has complanied about to many many deer, you will be suprised they might just be able to put you in touch with someone with in the area.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
QUOTE(Air Boat @ Sep 9 2009, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>St. johns Marsh also along Shea Rd just east of palms, and Alogonac State game.

also Take I-94 to wadham's exit make right go about a mile I think you turn left at Rattle Run go down to you see the DNR Access signs. I might have the cross road wrong it's been 10 years since I was out there.

around 200 or 300 acres, opens fields corn, and thick river bottom woods and old apple orchard in the middle

Not to many people know about it also Port Huron state game take 136 towards metcalf and look for the state game signs. lapeer and Deford state game, also check with DNR ask them If they know of anyone that has complanied about to many many deer, you will be suprised they might just be able to put you in touch with someone with in the area.

Till now.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(Grapes @ Sep 9 2009, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Air Boat @ Sep 9 2009, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>St. johns Marsh also along Shea Rd just east of palms, and Alogonac State game.

Till now.

lmao

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
Hunters are typically a-holes on the known public areas. If they see you, they usually sit right next to you. It's annoying. Amateur stomping grounds. Need to find a nice quiet place and spend the time walking deep in.
Go where no skippy punks are willing to walk.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Unfortunately, no go for me tomorrow. Fiance says no go, apaprently, she planned something with her parents and I must comply, after all, its her b-day weekend. I tell you what though, I noticed you have a GPS. Stop by the DNR office and get a map of the huntable areas and then drive to them. Parking is marked on the maps. Most areas have trails that are easily followed. Once back in a little ways, get off the beaten path to find where the deer are. Also, look at the google maps for areas near residential areas/fence rows/fields. Those are likely to be hot spots as many of the dumb home owners still feed the deer and if you set up on runs a few hundred yards away, you will likely catch them coming or going at dawn and dusk. Remember, deer have to eat, they have to drink water, and they sleep, thats it (with the ocassional fornicating in the fall). Google maps is also your friend. I would see if you can download a map from the DNR website tonight and spend some time correlating info from the DNR map and aerial google maps to pin point possible hot spots. Its the way I hunt state land up north. You will surprised how the terrain changes when viewed from aerial perspectives vs actually walking...the same holds true for the reverse. Knowing both perspectives will greatly increase your chances.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.