Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else get that Bass Pro Shop musky/pike survey Emailed to them? Hopefully that's a sign that they're going to start stocking more musky/pike gear.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Oct 9 2009, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Zib @ Oct 9 2009, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Did anyone else get that Bass Pro Shop musky/pike survey Emailed to them? Hopefully that's a sign that they're going to start stocking more musky/pike gear.

I did not. how was it delivered?

They Emailed it to me yesterday. I filled it out On-line.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I got it via E-mail too, Mike. I filled it out.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm surprised I didn't get one considering how much gear I've bought from them. Hmmm, well hopefully you're right about them carrying a better selection of musky stuff. Getting kinda tired of the hour and a half drive to cabelas.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(heimskr @ Oct 10 2009, 07:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm surprised I didn't get one considering how much gear I've bought from them. Hmmm, well hopefully you're right about them carrying a better selection of musky stuff. Getting kinda tired of the hour and a half drive to cabelas.

why go to cabelas when alot of quality baits made locally, id guess 75 % of my tackle made and bought locally. most of the best body baits on the lake year around are made, sold in michigan(even the jointed 10'' nils was inspired by lsc). i never been to cabelas in my life im sitting at 159 fish for the season hoping for 16 more before seasons out, my goal was 175 this year off my boat. well over 200 seen boated with fishing off friends boats also. i didnt keep track of other captains catches with me present but i know 3 weeks ago i seen 32 skis caught in one week of boat whoring. gotta love lsc and our local tackle makers. join the momc or at least go to one of the meetings where the lure makers are there you''ll see what i mean about locally made baits.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(troller11 @ Oct 12 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(heimskr @ Oct 10 2009, 07:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm surprised I didn't get one considering how much gear I've bought from them. Hmmm, well hopefully you're right about them carrying a better selection of musky stuff. Getting kinda tired of the hour and a half drive to cabelas.

why go to cabelas when alot of quality baits made locally, id guess 75 % of my tackle made and bought locally. most of the best body baits on the lake year around are made, sold in michigan(even the jointed 10'' nils was inspired by lsc). i never been to cabelas in my life im sitting at 159 fish for the season hoping for 16 more before seasons out, my goal was 175 this year off my boat. well over 200 seen boated with fishing off friends boats also. i didnt keep track of other captains catches with me present but i know 3 weeks ago i seen 32 skis caught in one week of boat whoring. gotta love lsc and our local tackle makers. join the momc or at least go to one of the meetings where the lure makers are there you''ll see what i mean about locally made baits.

The problem with the local baits is most are for trolling. I'm all for supporting the local guys over the big box stores that import from China as long as they play by the rules & report their earning to the government. Many that sell out of their house don't report crap to the government.

·
Sponsor Since 02-09
290 Posts
We personally look for locals to carry their products. Probably 85% of the musky lures that we have are local or USA made ( yes we have local lures for casters). I know BP 9mi and Jimmies also carries local. I would rather pay an extra dollar or two to buy local then China, after all if we don't support ourselves who will ? China, Mexico.....NOT! It's a shame that almost all of the BPS line is made in china along with alot of other major companys sending their manufacturing elsewhere. It's not rocket science to figure out why so many people have lost their jobs. Maybe I need to move to China and open a bait store????? LOL

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(Zib @ Oct 12 2009, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(troller11 @ Oct 12 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(heimskr @ Oct 10 2009, 07:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm surprised I didn't get one considering how much gear I've bought from them. Hmmm, well hopefully you're right about them carrying a better selection of musky stuff. Getting kinda tired of the hour and a half drive to cabelas.

The problem with the local baits is most are for trolling. I'm all for supporting the local guys over the big box stores that import from China as long as they play by the rules & report their earning to the government. Many that sell out of their house don't report crap to the government.

that may be true for a few makers but loke,gotcha,wooies,st clair hounds, can all be bought in stores, i know loke and gotcha has online ordering also there are more im leaving off the list cause i dont want to take up a page of tackle makers.i know a few that make lures for friends and making a lure at cost isnt really screwing the govt in my opinion its doing a friend a favor seeing its not to the mass public for profit,but when you go to a momc meeting most if not all are available in stores or online not underground operations. im not saying theres none but i dont think its fair to say many when theyre being sold online and in stores. i also agree there are more geared for trolling but thats been the popular style of muskie fishing for a long time on lsc. just when you go when the manufacturers are there they usually all bring a good supply/selection of baits and if newer to the lake is a good place to go. seeing you buy what the guys who are catching fish are using. im not saying stuff from cabelas wont catch fish just saying im willing to wager you go on a charter boat your likely to see alot of local made baits. im just trying to help a new guy out. personally id recommend buying local over cabelas or bass pro. the only non american baits i run muskie fishing are nils(still havnt got a fish on one of mine but seen others catch fish on em) and my ebay bucktails wich were very cheap i got them for under 5 dollars a piece wich is why i bought them. (didnt know they were china til i got them but i knew something was up for the price)

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(AnglersPoint @ Oct 13 2009, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We personally look for locals to carry their products. Probably 85% of the musky lures that we have are local or USA made ( yes we have local lures for casters). I know BP 9mi and Jimmies also carries local. I would rather pay an extra dollar or two to buy local then China, after all if we don't support ourselves who will ? China, Mexico.....NOT! It's a shame that almost all of the BPS line is made in china along with alot of other major companys sending their manufacturing elsewhere. It's not rocket science to figure out why so many people have lost their jobs. Maybe I need to move to China and open a bait store????? LOL

i would just like to add good luck ice fishing with minnows from china, it is important to throw some business these guys way. i dont ice fish but i do bait fish once in awhile in the summer and if we lose our local businesses we also lose our bait supply.

·
Registered
731 Posts
SOOOOO, WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE NON-TROLLING MUSKIE BAIT???
ZIB? WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS??

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm all for supporting the locals.
The problem I'm having, until dennis pointed it out was where to get a line on the locally made baits. When it comes to the local guys spending 20 -30 bucks each gets a bit pricey when you consider places like ebay. I bought a butt load of buckies on there too and they were just over 5$ each. I'm talkin double 10 & 13 colorado's. Huge buckies that would easily run 20 - 40$ each from local makers.

One thing that I noticed is that every time I've been out looking for baits like loke's, golbies and such nobody has'em. From what I've seen and heard they work but when you can't track them down in a limited amount of free time it gets aggravating. Locally there seems to be no comprehensive musky shop. It sucks. I would love to walk into a shop & get what I need all in one place instead I drop by a shop when I have the chance and hope they have what I'm looking for which is usually not the case. I've dropped a bunch of $$ at anglers point & jimmies. I've bought a few things from sandy and a little bit from lakeside though I'm kinda sour on them after pulling the quick self promoting post on here.

On the other hand, as a small business owner I understand the huge upfront investment that it would take to get a thorough musky shop going. Since I doubt that will happen just because of the risk the only thing I would suggest, or at least hope for is that the local bait shops work together in a sense. Basically each pick a niche in the musky baits and stick with it. Not everyone carrying the georgian bay, or crazy moon buckies. I know the concept sounds kinda crazy but if it's done right everybody will come out a head instead of competeing against each other and trying to take each others business while driving the price down. That's good for the consumer but bad for the business owner. If you guys work together there would be a greater selection of baits immediately available to the angler and you guys could capitalize on that section of the market while growing your businesses.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(Nautical Mile bp @ Oct 13 2009, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>SOOOOO, WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE NON-TROLLING MUSKIE BAIT???
ZIB? WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS??

I'm still a noob when it comes to casting for musky (3rd season) so I'm probably not the one to ask. I personally like casting a black bucktail with a nickel fluted Indiana blade. I know a lot of guys like the Hi-Fins with the fluted wide willow that you sell (I bought 2 from you this yr). Since I make my own now I won't be buying many bucktails anymore unless I see something different from all the rest. It's a great feeling to catch a fish on a lure that you made yourself.

I've also done well on the Rapala X-Rap Jointed Shad. That thing cast a mile. I'd recommend that people change out the hooks on them for better quality/sharper hooks like VMC cone cut etc.

I finally caught a musky on the Storm WildEye Kickin' Minnow the other day. I had several guys tell me that they love that bait & that it catches fish but I was beginning to think they were lying to me.
They come in different sizes 4", 6", 8" & 10". The 8" size has been hard to find.

Also it's been hard to find the big musky size tube baits like the Lindy Tiger Tube. Red October Bait Co. makes them as well.

·
Sponsor Since 02-09
290 Posts
QUOTE(heimskr @ Oct 13 2009, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm all for supporting the locals.
The problem I'm having, until dennis pointed it out was where to get a line on the locally made baits. When it comes to the local guys spending 20 -30 bucks each gets a bit pricey when you consider places like ebay. I bought a butt load of buckies on there too and they were just over 5$ each. I'm talkin double 10 & 13 colorado's. Huge buckies that would easily run 20 - 40$ each from local makers.

One thing that I noticed is that every time I've been out looking for baits like loke's, golbies and such nobody has'em. From what I've seen and heard they work but when you can't track them down in a limited amount of free time it gets aggravating. Locally there seems to be no comprehensive musky shop. It sucks. I would love to walk into a shop & get what I need all in one place instead I drop by a shop when I have the chance and hope they have what I'm looking for which is usually not the case. I've dropped a bunch of $$ at anglers point & jimmies. I've bought a few things from sandy and a little bit from lakeside though I'm kinda sour on them after pulling the quick self promoting post on here.

On the other hand, as a small business owner I understand the huge upfront investment that it would take to get a thorough musky shop going. Since I doubt that will happen just because of the risk the only thing I would suggest, or at least hope for is that the local bait shops work together in a sense. Basically each pick a niche in the musky baits and stick with it. Not everyone carrying the georgian bay, or crazy moon buckies. I know the concept sounds kinda crazy but if it's done right everybody will come out a head instead of competeing against each other and trying to take each others business while driving the price down. That's good for the consumer but bad for the business owner. If you guys work together there would be a greater selection of baits immediately available to the angler and you guys could capitalize on that section of the market while growing your businesses.

Just my 2 cents

Well I understand what your saying but that would not be in my mind providing for your customers when you would be telling them to drive 10 miles north or south. Most customers are looking for convienence.
As far as thorough I know Jackie (BP) has increase her selection (including Lokes) as so have we just adding Lokes this week. We started this year with 3 different makers of muskie lures and currently have 18 different ones with 5 more on the way. Your right it is a big risk with a large investment especially when you have online and the big stores to compete with but us little stores are here 7 days a week from around 6am to 6pm within minutes if not seconds from the lake hopefully as a convienence. As I said before I wish someone would of told me I won't become a millionaire selling bait! Hey Jackie what do you think: MERGER - Anglers BP or BP Point North and South?
Jason thanks for "dropping a bunch of dollars" and leave a card the next time by as I know my wife would love to visit your business.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Yeah. It's kind of a catch 22. [email protected] if you do and [email protected] if you don't. I run in to it all the time in my business and we specialize in custom stuff! You have to go with your gut & listen to ideas from your customers! There be gold in them there words even if it doesn't seem like it at first. I know my business has benefited from going against the grain and listening to odd suggestions from time to time.
Owning a business is all together better and worse than any marriage could ever be!

·
Registered
363 Posts
QUOTE(AnglersPoint @ Oct 13 2009, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Jason thanks for "dropping a bunch of dollars" and leave a card the next time by as I know my wife would love to visit your business.
Wife exchange! He let me loose in your store so it seems right you let your wife loose in ours

1 - 20 of 24 Posts