Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steph needs her brakes looked at on her Pontiac Vibe and chances are she needs some replacement. Any suggestions on any brake shops or garage mechanics that charge reasonably and do good work?

·
LSCN Sponsor
728 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor @ Dec 18 2009, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Steph needs her brakes looked at on her Pontiac Vibe and chances are she needs some replacement. Any suggestions on any brake shops or garage mechanics that charge reasonably and do good work?
Just woundering, How many miles?

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(The Canvas Cover Man @ Dec 18 2009, 07:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Convincor @ Dec 18 2009, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Steph needs her brakes looked at on her Pontiac Vibe and chances are she needs some replacement. Any suggestions on any brake shops or garage mechanics that charge reasonably and do good work?
Just woundering, How many miles?

About 112,000

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have had several great experiences with City Auto in Clinton Twp. It is ont the north side of 14 mile at the corner of Louise and just east of Groesbeck. One young guy owns and operates, small facility, but very clean and professional. He did the brakes on my Durango quickly while I waited and it was just under half the price of the quote from Belle Tire. So I have been happy with the backyard mechanic prices but not leaving your car in someones backyard. He did a bunch of front end work on my wife's Saturn VUE this summer that worked out great and he replaced her AC compressor with a used one for pennies compared to what we were looking at elsewhere, always in and out quickly too. His number is 586-790-8800.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Gratiot Auto Center on the corner of 12 and gratiot. They have great prices, quick service, great waiting room and I believe the owner is a member here but don't think he posts much. Anyway he is a fellow lake st. clair boater.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Why not do em yourself??? Not trying to poke fun but they are damn easy to do with basic tools. Even replacing the pads AND the rotors is still easy. Changing both of those should fix any issues unless you have a leaking caliper or its the piston is stuck. Front pads might be $30-40 and rotors might be about that per side. If you have drum rear brakes they might be fine still but don't hurt to change the shoes. If your doing all four corners and the rears are drums let someone else do it. I have done pleny of drums and STILL hate them. Too many pieces hard-to-pull springs.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have done them before on both our vehicles. Plain and simple, It's too cold and I don't have the time.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
just tie your anchor to the steering wheel and chuck it out the window when you wanna stop, after all its not doing you much good on the boat right now.

tip: I find best results when I aim it for power poles or traffic light posts.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
I think Hazy is off the next few weeks.

Wait - Hazy is always off. But I think he is not working the next few weeks..

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Thank's Dave. I'll be in town until Wednesday. Give me a call if your interested in me helping you out. 586 420 9522

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Jabber Jaws Jeff 855 1360 does this type of work on the side as well. 3Crabs Rich owns Detroit Gearbox 777 4444 as a business if you want that. he primarily focuses on drive-line issues, but he can do brakes as well.

·
Registered
379 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor @ Dec 18 2009, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Steph needs her brakes looked at on her Pontiac Vibe and chances are she needs some replacement. Any suggestions on any brake shops or garage mechanics that charge reasonably and do good work?

Bill - I usually do my own auto repairs but when it is impractical I take my cars to Joe Vaitale 586-465-2624. Joe is a mechanic for the Detroit News, works mids, then works his shop at M59 and Heydenreich (sp??) a few hours during the day. He leases a high bay and has a couple of lifts and all the tools and equipment.

He is good, honest and reasonable. Reasonable meaning he charges a fair price for good work.

If you decide to try Joe, what you do is call him and work out the details of dropping off the car/keys etc.

Tony Armijo

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I could tackle it for you if you wait until after the holidays. Just too damn busy this week.

If you need it sooner, I recommend Fraser Auto on Utica rd, just south of 14. I have a friend who works there, they do good work.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(rerun @ Dec 21 2009, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just pick up my girlfriends car today for brakes. Paid $250 for new ceramic pads and rotors on the front. Is that a good price?

I kindo' avoid ceramics. They are generally harder than the rotor and wear the rotor prematurely. Also, most vehicles come out of the factory with Semi-metallic. I try to stick to original design if possible. The price was a little high I'd say, but maybe not.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts