22,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just curious what some of you do.

Anyone want to share a check list?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Rob, you're bumming me out just like that other forum

Outside storage, way too much than I normally pay but I'm going for convience (sp)

Drain engines and then fill with antifreeze, never had a problem in 10 years. nock on wood

take two asprins and a jack and coke and you'll be fine till february. after that is agony.....

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The last two years I stored in heated storage and was getting a great deal. The place sold the building so I'm shopping again. At the minimum I will be inside cold storage, but would prefer heated. I'll never have my boat shrink wrapped again. Ever.

I give the interior, cabin, bilge, etc a thorough cleaning. Spray the bilge with a light coating of WD40, hang desiccant bags everywhere, and throw dryer sheets throughout the cabin, cockpit, etc.

I haven't winterized in a few years; however if I do have to winterize my order of operations will be:

Dump a heavy dose of Startron in the almost empty fuel tank
Runn'em on the hose to heat'em up.
Change oil
Runn'em on the hose to circulate new oil to rinse of old oil contaminates and heat up to operating temp
drain blocks and risers
Run 7 gallons of the purple antifreeze through them

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE(Jimbo @ Oct 1 2009, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>is it ok to use automotive antifreeze

You need non toxic (pink or blue) RV / Marine antifreeze to keep from polluting the lake or storm drain. Not sure how u could capture and retain auto antifreeze.

As for strorage I've always went inside cold, no need for shrink wrap.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Im new to boating. How important is it to put antifreeze in a empty block? once you drain the fluid why worry about freezeing? Sorry just bought my first boat and im going to winterize after this weekend and thinking of doing it myself. Small i/o v6 omc 1967 17' johnson reveler. any info would be very helpful Thank you

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 1 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im new to boating. How important is it to put antifreeze in a empty block? once you drain the fluid why worry about freezeing? Sorry just bought my first boat and im going to winterize after this weekend and thinking of doing it myself. Small i/o v6 omc 1967 17' johnson reveler. any info would be very helpful Thank you
I'm no expert, but pouring in some antifreeze is a good idea because not all the water drains out of the block or manifolds. There probably isn't enough to crack anything (assuming nothing is missed), but it helps with corrosion, and is safer (or required??).

A service manual would obviously be a big help/save on guessing. Power steering pumps and such are easy to miss. Another thing that you should do is poke something into the drains (petcocks or pipe plugs) to make sure the passages are not blocked with rust or sediment.

It's not complicated or difficult, but then again, it is easy to over look something.

Good luck, and congrats on getting a boat!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 1 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im new to boating. How important is it to put antifreeze in a empty block? once you drain the fluid why worry about freezeing? Sorry just bought my first boat and im going to winterize after this weekend and thinking of doing it myself. Small i/o v6 omc 1967 17' johnson reveler. any info would be very helpful Thank you

To guard against corrosion. Also, when you drain it, you may not get it all out of every crevice. Antifreeze will mix with any left over water to provide protection.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
QUOTE(waxonwaxoff @ Oct 2 2009, 08:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And I love tinkering on a Saturday in January while the snow is flying!

Or drinking on the back of the boat in January!!!

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
I would love to do inside heated, but can't stand the thought of paying more than my summer well.

I have weighed the options. The cheapest I found for inside heated was $2050. I know that I will pay almost $1000 for outdoor storage between the lot, shrink wrap, and anti-freeze it will cost about that. It's also this budget thing going on here in Michigan. Kind of bummed. I really wanted inside heated.

·
Registered
303 Posts
QUOTE(270 Crown @ Oct 2 2009, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 1 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im new to boating. How important is it to put antifreeze in a empty block? once you drain the fluid why worry about freezeing? Sorry just bought my first boat and im going to winterize after this weekend and thinking of doing it myself. Small i/o v6 omc 1967 17' johnson reveler. any info would be very helpful Thank you

To guard against corrosion. Also, when you drain it, you may not get it all out of every crevice. Antifreeze will mix with any left over water to provide protection.

Ok makes sense, But how do you get the antifreeze out in the spring, Just run it in the water? I heard you should use rv or marine antifreeze but is that harmfull to the lake like auto antifreeze?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 2 2009, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(270 Crown @ Oct 2 2009, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 1 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im new to boating. How important is it to put antifreeze in a empty block? once you drain the fluid why worry about freezeing? Sorry just bought my first boat and im going to winterize after this weekend and thinking of doing it myself. Small i/o v6 omc 1967 17' johnson reveler. any info would be very helpful Thank you

Ok makes sense, But how do you get the antifreeze out in the spring, Just run it in the water? I heard you should use rv or marine antifreeze but is that harmfull to the lake like auto antifreeze?

Correct and correct it's toxic free, the rv stuff that is.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
My bro-inlaw tried the just draining option one year and ended replacing all his freeze plugs and a few hoses.

·
Registered
303 Posts
QUOTE(fitsus @ Oct 2 2009, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 2 2009, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(270 Crown @ Oct 2 2009, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 1 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im new to boating. How important is it to put antifreeze in a empty block? once you drain the fluid why worry about freezeing? Sorry just bought my first boat and im going to winterize after this weekend and thinking of doing it myself. Small i/o v6 omc 1967 17' johnson reveler. any info would be very helpful Thank you

Correct and correct it's toxic free, the rv stuff that is.
Thank You thats very helpful.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(pquest29 @ Oct 2 2009, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Whew.... Good thing I didn't vote. I found heated storage for my boat for $3/square foot.
No red pop for me!
Hate to imagine who you had to do to get that price!
j/k

Wow, that's a great deal!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.