Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Bumper Boats at JN2

1K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  fatcat660 
#1 ·
The "captain" of this cruiser was showing everyone how not to drive. There was lots of shouting and engine-revving, I look up and this big cruiser is spinning fast and listing hard to port, throwing up lots of spray behind it. Then it hit the boat to it's right so hard that the swim platform buckled and looked like it was going to tear off. It left a big black mark on the forward part of the hull of the boat it hit, and that owner got a little upset, but not too much. It was quite the scene.

Let's all be careful out there.

Attachments

See less See more
G
#3 · (Edited)
People always give me guff because I refuse to tie my boat in the Gauntlet. Well, That's the reason right there!

Last year, I seen the worst case scene.

The line started to bust up. Some people just start untieing lines like there is no care in the world. Next thing you know we have boats with nobody on them adrift. And boat A :captained by a drunk couple having a lovers spat, drifting into boat B. Even though boat B has 6 people yelling at the oncoming boat. The lover's spat continues without knowing what was about to happen.
Well, the boats collide and completly tear off boat B's swim platform. And this was definatly going to be a very expensive repair. All hell broke loose at that point. Quite the yelling match that could be heard throughout the whole bay.

TRUE STORY

#7 ·
Yep Fatcat, that's the first thing I saw too. Good way to become a double amputee. If you survive. Before Labor Day saw a guy trying to join the big raft with a large cruiser. He was attempting to sidle up to a large Fountain. He hit the throttle and raked the Fountain with his anchor on the bow pulpit. I was with my fifteen year old daughter and we left just as the scene began to heat up. Don't know what happened. My personal opinion is that unless conditions are perfect (i.e. no wind) and you've got plenty of manuevering room, you're really better off just getting in the water and moving the boat into position with the help of the friendly boaters who are always willing to give a hand. Turn the engine off so there's no tragedies and thank your new found friends.

G
#8 ·
hazy,

If that was the case than you might as well stay at the dock every day. DOn't let these situations keep you at the dock and waste a great day.

There are plenty of other peeps that tie up in other areas not far off the beaten path. Get out there, get on the radio and hook up with the party. Life is too short to be at the docks.

#10 ·
Sometimes --it just happens to all of us. It takes a calm crew to get through a situation like that. I have learned that the slower you go the better, i hate when i see people hitting the throttles hard to get out of a bad situation. It usually just makes the impact harder... You are out on your boat, take your time.

#12 ·
There is nothing like partying in the bay and seeing your boat drift by because some idiot left and didn't tie it back up.
There is a good complaint for the raft. I don't care if people come or people go, whenever, but have respect for other peoples boat. I never did figure out who did that to us, but if I had.........

Another thing, if you are going out and going to raft, there should always be someone on the boat, other than the driver, that can take control and get it tied off properly (bumpers and all). I was always the first mate, when we pulled up, the lines were ready to go, people on the boat had bumpers in their hands and everything was smooth.

There are 2 times while out on the boat that you have to stop partying for a minute and pay attention (this doesn't include the driver). One is when you are pulling up to the raft and the other is when pulling out of the raft. It's simple no matter how drunk you are.

#13 ·
QUOTE(Storm @ Sep 12 2003, 07:39 AM)you're really better off just getting in the water and moving the boat into position with the help of the friendly boaters who are always willing to give a hand. Turn the engine off so there's no tragedies and thank your new found friends.
Exactly....AMEN!!!!!!

I just dont get the idiots that have their engine running for 30 minutes before they even untie/unraft...must be a testosterone thing. What is so hard about getting into the water and just walking the boat in/out of the gauntlet....unless they are afraid they will melt if they get wet.

#14 ·
a yellow go-fast hit the gas with the drives up out of the water at gull on satuday around a bunch of rafted boats and completely drenched a large group of boats, we were about 50-75 feet away and got wet, some other dude jumped off his boat and in the water and went up to the driver and just cold-cocked him right in the face, guess he deserved it

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE(cotty @ Sep 12 2003, 09:09 AM)If you look at the picture closely, it looks as if the drive is in gear by the way the water looks by the outdrive.

That could have turned into a huge problem real quick.
I had a close call with this a few weeks back at Muscamoot. I was talking with a group near near the back of somebody elses boat with my back to it, when the capt'n fired up the engines. I don't think he was even leaving, but I do know he didn't look to see who was back there. Being over-served, I don't think I realized how serious the incident could have been at the time, but I do recall yelling at the guy.

#16 ·
Whenever im leaving a raft weather it be the tot lot or any other one I ALLWAYS PUSH MY BOAT OUT. When I am clear of everyone i get in and fire it up. Everyone should do that.

#18 ·
Mike
The engins should be off I will not get near the back of a boat with the motor running. One slip on the throttle or shifter and you could be toast. I see it alot too it makes me very nervous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.