Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this weekend I have the incredible honor of joining a small annual party that gets together, and hunts rabbits with longbows. I guess there are a couple of guys who use compounds too, but most of these cats use the longbow, and have all their lives.

"We have one waiting for you too *********" they've been saying.
That's my nickname. Guess they don't see too many arabs up in them parts. Mike you'd be proud, I tried a longbow again during the rut, and was hitting 3 inch groups up to 35 yards, then it got a lil wild on me. No release sucked tho, if I do it it'll be with a release for sure.

They went out last weekend, and of the 30 or so bunnies jumped.... 2 were shot!! lmfao. Yeah MY odds are good aren't they. I can barely hit a freakin 200 pound deer 20 yards away while it's standing still, or a fleeing rabbit with a shotgun, and now this?

I'll tell ya's one thing, there are gonna be A LOT of pictures taken!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Good Luck with that one, I've only sot 2 rabbits with my bow in my entire lifetime. One was hiding in the edge of a brushpile and the other was running. Don't ask me how I hit the one that was running, this was very early in my hunting career using a Bear "Whitetail Hunter"(remember those?), shooting instinctive(no sights), aluminum arrow with the old two blade bear broadheads with the bleeder blade(remember those?), but I did, unbelievably right behind the shoulder. Needless to say, I was amazed. The other was a couple years ago, with my modern compound with sights, that was a no brainer, it was sitting still, I knew I was hittin' that one.

·
3,236 Posts
Sounds like a blast. Make sure to share the pics and stay out of the way when those rabbits are running!!!

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(rubbnsmoke @ Jan 14 2010, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good Luck with that one, I've only sot 2 rabbits with my bow in my entire lifetime. One was hiding in the edge of a brushpile and the other was running. Don't ask me how I hit the one that was running, this was very early in my hunting career using a Bear "Whitetail Hunter"(remember those?), shooting instinctive(no sights), aluminum arrow with the old two blade bear broadheads with the bleeder blade(remember those?), but I did, unbelievably right behind the shoulder. Needless to say, I was amazed. The other was a couple years ago, with my modern compound with sights, that was a no brainer, it was sitting still, I knew I was hittin' that one.

That pretty much describes what i'll be using this weekend to a tee. I highly doubt i'll do as good as your report but hopefully I get to at least fling a couple attempts.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(rubbnsmoke @ Jan 14 2010, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good Luck with that one, I've only sot 2 rabbits with my bow in my entire lifetime. One was hiding in the edge of a brushpile and the other was running. Don't ask me how I hit the one that was running, this was very early in my hunting career using a Bear "Whitetail Hunter"(remember those?), shooting instinctive(no sights), aluminum arrow with the old two blade bear broadheads with the bleeder blade(remember those?), but I did, unbelievably right behind the shoulder. Needless to say, I was amazed. The other was a couple years ago, with my modern compound with sights, that was a no brainer, it was sitting still, I knew I was hittin' that one.
Bear whitetail hunter. I still hutn with mine. I have had it since i was 12 I love that bow. I have downed many a deer with that bow. I would never get rid of it. As a matter of fact I have two of them. I picked one up off from ebay a couple of years ago for $20 and set it up identical to the one i hunt with just in case something happens to my regular I always have that one as a back up.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the trip was an absolute success.. in that I got to shoot a recurve at rabbits that is.

6 shots fired, no rabbits harvested. First shot was my best shot, at a still rabbit hiding under a pine. It was my first shot with a recurve and I missed it by inches, but I actually thought i'd hit it. Til I walked up to see if I did and he ran away! lol

All in all one of those great days afield with about 15 fellas and a few good running beagles considering the crappy snow we had. Must've seen 14-15 rabbits total in about 4 hours on two parcels.

Now i'm on craig's list looking for my own Bear grizzly... DAMNIT!!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Jan 17 2010, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So the trip was an absolute success.. in that I got to shoot a recurve at rabbits that is.

6 shots fired, no rabbits harvested. First shot was my best shot, at a still rabbit hiding under a pine. It was my first shot with a recurve and I missed it by inches, but I actually thought i'd hit it. Til I walked up to see if I did and he ran away! lol

All in all one of those great days afield with about 15 fellas and a few good running beagles considering the crappy snow we had. Must've seen 14-15 rabbits total in about 4 hours on two parcels.

Now i'm on craig's list looking for my own Bear grizzly... DAMNIT!!

I'm pretty sure my brother has one of those. It was given to him a few years ago by a friend of ours. He's not a hunter (fishes like crazy though), although he's been talking about taking it up lately. I'll talk to him, if he's definately not interested in taking up hunting I'll ask him if he's interested in selling it.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Nice seeing you again today Jon. I've done that rabbit hut up in Elm Hall before, and it is an absolute blast. Great bunch of guys, and everyone has the same intrest. Plus it gets you out of the house, and into some fresh air.

Read my post in Tony's thread, for some more ideas before you buy one of your own.

Rabbits are the only thing I have ever hunted that I haven't shot with either my longbow or recurve. The most fun I've had with tradtional gear is when hunting pheasants and geese. You get some pretty dumb looks till you connect, and then you get the WTF look. It's a great feeling, especially when they miss with a shotgun, and you connect with a piece of wood. LOL

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(rubbnsmoke @ Jan 17 2010, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm pretty sure my brother has one of those. It was given to him a few years ago by a friend of ours. He's not a hunter (fishes like crazy though), although he's been talking about taking it up lately. I'll talk to him, if he's definately not interested in taking up hunting I'll ask him if he's interested in selling it.

Mike don't you be messin with my emotions. Talk to him and see what weight draw it is. Length i'm sure should be alright as long as it's not a youth bow. But the draw weight i'm interested in is between 50-55#'s. I hunted with 45 and it seemed a little weak. And I draw 60 on my compound so 50-55 would be ideal. Thanks for the idea bro!

QUOTE(Grapes @ Jan 17 2010, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice seeing you again today Jon. I've done that rabbit hut up in Elm Hall before, and it is an absolute blast. Great bunch of guys, and everyone has the same intrest. Plus it gets you out of the house, and into some fresh air.

Read my post in Tony's thread, for some more ideas before you buy one of your own.

Rabbits are the only thing I have ever hunted that I haven't shot with either my longbow or recurve. The most fun I've had with tradtional gear is when hunting pheasants and geese. You get some pretty dumb looks till you connect, and then you get the WTF look. It's a great feeling, especially when they miss with a shotgun, and you connect with a piece of wood. LOL

Yeah I was debating if I should call you or not. Figured you'd be ice fishing, not burning a hot tub! I just saw that thread on the stick bows. I'm telling you what, like Tony said, i'd like to keep my compound for the rut, but outside of that I think I'm gonna be a recurve guy. The fellas I hunt with were pretty shocked that I was still hitting the foam target at 30 and 40 yards. Frankly, I wasn't. I love archery. I love it as much as sex. I've made love with my release in one hand and a shoulder quiver on my back.

It's a sickness I hope never goes away.

I've had my eye on a Bear Grizzly, but we'll see if I can afford the Kodiak when it the opportunity crosses my path. I hate the idea of spending over 200 for my stickbow when I paid 180 for my compound with over $200 worth of accessories alone included... And that thing is bad a$$!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.