Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Wow!! What a weekend!! Couldn't have planned it better for the MBCF if you tried!! How bout a 5 fish limit of smallies that broke the 26lb mark?!!! (The winning team culled a 5lb smallie with a 6.5lbr!!
) YES,...You're reading it right!! 26+lbs won on Saturday!! 29 teams out of 60, all weighed in OVER 20lbs each!!!
Unbelievable!!! Mini and I had 5 that went 19.80 and we finished 32nd on saturday and we weighed in another 5 fish limit on sunday that went 17.04 (just out of the $$). The avg. weight PER FISH/PER Angler for the weekend was 3.75!!
It was the most unbelievable 4 days of fishing I've ever experienced in my life!!! We only caught ONE fish all weekend that was UNDER 3lbs!! That is THEE most amazing fishery I've ever seen......not very many places you can go in this country and catch smallies like that where a 4lb average won't even get you a check!!! Michigan ROCKS!!!

If I wasn't so blown away by the whole experience I'd be pist!!..LOL...But how can one get bummed out by seeing something like that??!! The weather was PERFECT on saturday....and it was cloudy/windy sunday, but we still got our limit (the 5th fish came 15mins before we had to leave for weigh-in!!) Unreal......simply UNREAL!!!!

Ya GOTTA go up to Burt/Mullet once in your life whether you do tournaments or not.....it's a religous experience!!

Mac

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah!!....29 teams had over 20lbs!!!..LOL

·
Registered
739 Posts
Guys,

How much weight did it take to win on Sunday? My buddy and I only fished Saturday (weighed 19lbs and probably finished in 40ish place, thats sick). We went out and had a little too much fun at the Inn Between Tavern Saturday nite, they had a rocking band. What was the big fish weighed on Sunday? That was my first time up there and I'll second everything Mac said it was an unbelieveable experience. Between the fishing and the scenery, it was a first rate trip.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(jcheetam @ Jun 7 2004, 08:28 AM)Culling a 5lber with a 6.5?! That is SICK!
...no doubt!! The whole weekend was that way!! It was brutal!!! LOL!!! I'll never be the same from now on...
ahahaha.....I NEVER thought I'd see the day where a 4lb smallie was just "average"...and "not good enough!" HUH?!

Man that fishery is something else!!!
You GOTTA go up there in early June and see for yourself!! It'll ruin you!
LOL.....

Mac

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
I'm still not working....I wanna go NOW!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eric,.....I'm not exactly sure but it was 5+lbs anyway!! Awesome fishery!!

KT,....most of the fish we caught were on beds,.....we fished for 4 days and found fish everywhere in every kind of "mood" ...some were very skittish..others would munch anything that came by!!...there was a full moon thursday night and by sunday they were locked-on good (if you could see them,...the rain/wind and clouds made that tough, unless you had weigh-points and found flat water!!!! ...it was unreal!!...best 4 days i've ever experienced anywhere!!

Mac

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
You know I love Mullett - go up there every fall now and every other opening weekend or so for prespawn. Tons of 4 to 5 1/4 pound smallies.

What is interesting is that since the Federation started going to B/M, the fishing has gotten even better, even though the lakes get pressure they never used to get and the spawn happens every year after opening day?

So why then is the fishing better now if the pressure is up and the spawn isn't protected AND we hit the spawn with a big tournament every other year or so? On a northern 'vulnerable' set of lakes? And why are bass spawning in water so much colder than they are supposed to?

I wish I could have been there, but it will drive you crazy in a nice way to catch 4 pounders and not cash a check. I guess I'll have to wait to catch those same bass this fall in our annual trip. I caught my biggest blade bait smallie out 'deep' last fall to date - a 4-15 - a real confidence booster.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE(djkimmel @ Jun 7 2004, 11:57 AM)So why then is the fishing better now if the pressure is up and the spawn isn't protected AND we hit the spawn with a big tournament every other year or so? On a northern 'vulnerable' set of lakes? And why are bass spawning in water so much colder than they are supposed to?

I wish I could have been there, but it will drive you crazy in a nice way to catch 4 pounders and not cash a check. I guess I'll have to wait to catch those same bass this fall in our annual trip. I caught my biggest blade bait smallie out 'deep' last fall to date - a 4-15 - a real confidence booster.
We saw a few DNR folks driving around up there in their trucks but I never saw any on the water or at the weigh-in's....but it doesn't mean they "weren't" there observing!! I can tell you this though,.....the few locals that did show up to watch were totally stoked,..they couldn't believe their eyes!! Impressed to say the least!! Doug & Bernadette Phillips did a GREAT job with the meetings/launch's and weigh-ins.....and I only heard of one boat breakdown! It was really a GREAT weekend......and I agree Dan,...a 4lb "average" NOT being good enough SHOULD make us mad,..but it was soooo freakin' cool to see that many GOOD bags come in,..that it took the pain away and replaced it with pure
....or something like that!!..LOL

Mac

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think I feel the flu coming on! I might have to miss the next couple days of work!

I think it might be a case of SMF (smallmouth fever)!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you couldn't make this weekend it was the time of a lifetime. WE had over 22lbs and finished NINTH!!!But you just couldn't be up set,it was a perfect setting.One important point we had to have caught over six hundred fish and I think we lost three.By the way the first day average was 3,91lbs.Thank you Daug and your wonderfull wife and Mark Smith for a great time. paul g

1 - 16 of 16 Posts