Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 9 years driving the same car....
I'm in the process of purchasing a newer '03 used vehicle from a private owner/ not dealer.
Anyone know the Secretary of State tax stuff,
Do i pay 6% ?
Isn't there a relative deal that tax is reduced or eliminiated, do you have to prove relation.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Just tell them you bought it for $500 bucks

I've had my Laberon for 10 years, still going.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(All Jacked Up @ May 7 2004, 10:02 AM)Just tell them you bought it for $500 bucks

LeBaron is not sold.

I'll be just like you AJU!!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I am not sure on the relative thing but you will have to pay taxes.

Just tell them less than what you paid for but not $500 because that would look real suspicious and will question it. I always look at the kbb price and reduce that by 2k

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
QUOTE(BoatChic @ May 7 2004, 11:14 AM)QUOTE(All Jacked Up @ May 7 2004, 10:02 AM) Just tell them you bought it for $500 bucks

LeBaron is not sold.

I'll be just like you AJU!!

You mean your getting a red truck with a dented rear panel and busted taillight.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
QUOTE(cotty @ May 7 2004, 11:49 AM)I am not sure on the relative thing but you will have to pay taxes.

Just tell them less than what you paid for but not $500 because that would look real suspicious and will question it. I always look at the kbb price and reduce that by 2k
I was being sarcastic about saying $500, but you got the point bra.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I sell cars for a living, you will have to pay tax on the selling price at SOS. If you tell them that you paid only 500, they will book out the car and know that you didn't pay that amount. You could get away with saying you paid a few thousand less.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I know this guy that just bought this really sweet red 1999 z71 for 11,300 and filled in 5000 on the title and thus paid 300 plus other b.s. fee's for transfer and plates. Of course this is easier when the deals doesn't involvle secured bank loans and a lein on the title.

yes, secractary of state website pamphlet says use/sales tax is 6%.
6% of 11,300 =678, or use new math and 6% of 5000= a measly 300 bucks.

secratary of state pamplet also says 6% of used purchase value OR retail value. Well considering retail value is based on the condition a vehicle is in how the heck would they know the vehicle in question doesn't need 6 or 7 grand in body and mechanical work to make it a good vehicle??? hmmm. thats right they dont. just dont park the thing in front of the big glass windows at the SOS office.

oh yeah and if you related you dont pay anything. but you have to prove it.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had to pay the tax on my boat purchase also (of course).
It is soo crazy to me how the state can tax over and over on the same item.

Thx Cad!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
oh yeah....

p.s. this is a secret so dont tell anybody or they'll changes the rules.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have used the no tax option on my last two boats. The boat never leaves the state, yet it is registered down south. After six months or so register it in my name and away we go. No forms or anything to fill out.

If Michigan charged you tax on the difference between a trade-in and the new vehicle it wouldn't be so bad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts