Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Should I throw a Buzzbait on a medium or medium heavy rod? What reel speed should I use, normal or fast?

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
My choice is a Med Hvy. There is a lot of resistance with Buzz Baits. I feel the Med. Hvy. gives you more setting power. Thats just the way I look at it. Bob

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Sorry by the way if you run them to slow the won't stay up.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Buzzbaits:

6"10" Medium with an Extra Fast action
or
7"0" Medium with a Medium Fast action.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'll typically use a 6'6" Medium with a fast tip. My reel ratio of choice is 6:3.1.

·
Registered
927 Posts
i use a 6'6 medium fast graphite if they are really taking the bait.

if they are hitting short, i switch to a 6'6 medium glass rod. its a little more forgiving than the graphite rod, so when they do hit it a little short, the rod tip doesnt snap back right away, and you have more time to set the hook.

there are a few down side to using fiberglass rods tho. you will lose casting distance and you really have to set the hook harder because of the softer action. i like to use a very low stretch line on my glass rods.

you definatly want a fast gear ratio reel. in the past, i tried throwing buzzbaits on slower reels ( before i knew what was going on ) and its hard to get the bait up and keep it up.
like jeff said, 6.3:1 is ideal.

i hope to get a 7 foot glass this year. i have been looking for a st croix pro glass 7 footer but no one seems to have any.

theres a time and a place for glass. good rods when used in the right manner

madman himself

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
This was interesting all of you use Med. and I use Med. hvy. you all must be fishing for little Bass. I just go for the big ones with bigger Buzz Baits.
Bob

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Like madman, I use glass or composite rods. I seem to get the hook deeper in their mouth with the slightly delayed rod movement/reaction. I use 6' 6" or 7' rods. It just seems like I hook a lot more topwater fish with softer rod tips.

The butt section is still strong enough to get a good hookset. I usually let them have it after a forced delay to make sure they have the bait. I like to watch buzzbaits (and other topwater) out of the corner of my eye so I don't react too soon.

I use a fast reel too to get the bait on top quickly, especially in shallow cover. I use a left handed real so I can actually start the retrieve before the lure hits the water if I want to. Works for me. I do this any time I'm casting spinnerbaits or buzzbaits to close cover targets especially.

How many times has a bass (even in open water) smacked the bait the instant it hits the water? I once had a largemouth in the Muskegon River jump from a slop patch into the air to hit a topwater snake lure while it was still a foot above the water. It was pretty cool although the bass' depth perception was off a few inches. It was a 3-pound class fish.

·
Registered
927 Posts
i remember fishing a pond about 10 years ago. i cast across a narrow section and right over a tree branch. my lure was dangling about a foot from the water.

i kept jerking it trying to swing back around the branch. no luck. i was just getting ready to bite my line when a 2 lber jumped up and grabbed my lure, hooked himself, and hung out of the water flopping like a banshee.

that fish was toast. nothing i could do to save him. poor little fella.

madman himself

·
Registered
175 Posts
I currently use a Warrior 7-0MXF-C for my buzzbait fishing. There is alot of debate with the graphite/glass thing, but I choose to use graphite. If the fish are short striking...add a trailer hook. If you still arent getting hook ups, add another...haha. But I like the medium power rods because buzzbaits arent all that heavy. I like to use 1/4 ounce lure, they're easier to keep up, and you can slow down with them too. I use Daiwa TDX's for this, they have a 6.3:1 gear ratio. An extra fast tip might be to fast, but I like it, it gives the rod a little more stiffness in case I want to switch to a beefier bait. Thats what I use and i've been very happy with it for the past couple of years. Buzzbait fishin is great!! Oh and if you are fishing close range targets, use a 6 or 6-6 rod, they're more accurate.

Jose

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I go left handed and just before it hits the water i click the spirex reel and point the tip at the bait as it hits the water i pull back on the rod and start the buzzer instantly. Also and this is hard to do, until you master it, don't do anything till you feel the fish. Using fireline the hook up is fast and no stretch give's a advantage because the hook is buried, I use a trailer hook and when i add it i turn it upside down and this helps alot. Or so it seems, Lets me add another power grub. yummy to fish.

h2o<--says just don't set on the blow up wait till you feel the fish, If you have to use the force luke.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Rod length should be also based on the anglers height. A taller angler can use a longer fishing rod than a shorter angler for the same purpose.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Try an All Star Zell Rowland Topwater Special. It varies from a light action on the tip to medium heavy in the backbone. Designed for topwaters (spooks, poppers and buzzbaits).

Mini

1 - 14 of 14 Posts