Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loran-C has been turned off. If anyone needs to convert TDs you can get a Dos based program from the governmnet here.

Let's see how old we all are. Who has used and remembers Laoran-C?

It's too bad I was just about to plot all the TDs on the waypoint map.

Matt

Source
The U.S. Coast Guard's Director of Prevention Policy recent announcement to terminate the North American Loran-C signal will mark the end of an era for Coast Guard Loran Stations Baudette, Minn. and Seneca, N.Y. on the Great Lakes.

Beginning Feb. 8, 2010, both stations will be decommissioned and cease broadcasting the Loran-C signal after 67 years of continuous broadcast to the Positioning, Navigation and Timing communities.

Termination of the program was supported through the enactment of the fiscal year 2010 Homeland Security Appropriations bill.

As a result of technological advancements during the last 20 years and the emergence of the U.S. Global Positioning System, Loran-C is no longer required by the armed forces, the transportation sector or the nation's security interests, and is used by only a small segment of the population.

President Barack Obama's fiscal year 2010 budget supported the termination of outdated systems and specifically cited the terrestrial-based North American Loran-C system as such an example. The president did not seek funding for the Loran-C system in fiscal year 2010. Termination was also supported through the enactment of the 2010 Homeland Security Appropriations Bill.

The decision to terminate transmission of the Loran-C signal reflects the president's pledge to eliminate unnecessary federal programs.

The Loran-C system was not established as, nor was it intended to be, a viable systemic backup for GPS. If a single, domestic national system to back up GPS is identified as being necessary, the Department of Homeland Security will complete an analysis of potential backups to GPS. The continued active operation of Loran-C is not necessary to advance this evaluation.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
I remember Loran, but I never used one. My dad had one. It was a great asset, but nothing like we have today.

I still marvel at how amazing our equipment is today. Even the stuff at mere mortal prices. A real-time you-are-here chart, I mean, how cool is that!!

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
I still do have a LORAN/fishfinder/depthsounder. The last couple years it's been pretty spotty on reliability. Guess it's finally time to get that new plotter!!

In the earlier days of GPS, there was a saying "GPS will get you there, but LORAN will get you back! " because LORAN could repeat a location much more accurate than GPS at the time. Receivers got much better and turning off Selective Availability helped, as did DGPS and WAAS.

Wonder if they are also going to take all the TD lines off the charts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts