Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We currently have Comcast Cable for internet only. Runs around $40.00 a month. SBC is offering me a DSL connection, with home networking connection for $26.95 per month for life. Speed would be 1.5 -3.0 kbps. I'm not sure what I have with cable right now.

I've heard pro's and cons of each. Whats your feelings?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Jim it's hard for me to really compare because I am in Canada but over here cable is way faster (5 mbps) and it's always connected.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Cable, not sure the speed, but pretty dependable and fast.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Jim,
I have had both. Cable is the way to go... It is "always on" and WAY faster... Also, it seems that the cable is a lot more reliable than my dsl was...
Cadmonkey:

that was funny

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Cassie and I share band width on DSL and it's ok. It's pretty comparable to Cable in pretty much everything except downloading movies and it's way cheaper.

·
Registered
299 Posts
QUOTE(Milord @ Apr 27 2004, 10:54 AM)Jim it's hard for me to really compare because I am in Canada but over here cable is way faster (5 mbps) and it's always connected.
so thats like 1.25 in U.S.??

1.35 to the buck..
5ltr to the US gallon..
down by Lake Erie an old farmer was trying to tell how far I was away from my destination in apple orchards( I didn't have a conversion chart to get that into metric)

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
can you share the bandwidth on a cable hookup, like use two computers on a network with one cable?

i have DSL at the office and have three computers on it, it slows down when all three are being used but thats rare and it's not that bad, i like the idea of adding as many computers to the same line

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
We have had both, and both were dependable and always on. Ed says that DSL is faster uploading and Cable is faster downloaded, or vice versa, can't remember. The one thing is that on DSL you don't share your band width with other users, so if a bunch of people are on the cable, it slows down, with DSL that doesn't happen.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I prefer DSL over calble, you can disconnect or you can leave it on the whole time, its very fast, and SBC was way more reliable then the comcast I have now, when we moved a couple months ago we had to switch to comcast cable internet because we were 24 ft. outside the DSL boundry line, I wihs we still had the DSL though

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
DSL 29 .50 A MONTH CABLE 49 .50 A MONTH i like dsl myself after having dial up no comparrision , except i have to pay for it my self work only pays for dial up..but its worth it i think.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
QUOTE(Goose @ Apr 27 2004, 02:55 PM)can you share the bandwidth on a cable hookup, like use two computers on a network with one cable?
I do at home. Just add a cable/DSL router and presto. Four ports to plug computers into. If you want to get really slick there are wireless versions available.

I have had 3 PCs surfing and downloading at once and did not notice much of a slowdown.

As far as cable being subject to slowdowns due to sharing bandwidth with the neighborhood. I have only noticed serious slow downs about 3 times in several years. My ONLY complaint is the price.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I have SBC DSL high speed and I love it. Fast reliable no problems in the 8 months that I had it.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
QUOTE(Eagle1 @ Apr 27 2004, 03:04 PM)i have cable. I dont have a home phone so DSL wouldnt work for me.
Ditto, no home phone line

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I've had both. I prefer the cable. It has been very reliable and fast. When I had DSL it seemed that getting it going was a pain in the arse, and something would happen every few months forcing me to call support.
Of course I did have DSL when it was fairly new, so maybe they've worked out the bugs.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I've only had cable and love it....Never notice a slow down and I know several of my neighbors have the same company (WOW).

I've got a wireless router hooked up via the cable modem. One puter is directly connected to the router, while the other two are wirless.....We are all using our computers at the same time and it seems just as fast.

As for turning off your cable internet connection, you can with Win XP. Go to view network connections and there will be a icon showing your connection. Right mouse click and choose to disable. Also, under properties you can choose to show the connection icon in your task bar. That way you can disable it faster.

I think there is also software you can use to disable your connection for other windows operating systems.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts