Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just unbelievable...

The wildfires have killed 16 people, destroyed nearly 2,000 homes and scorched more than 600,000 acres since Saturday.

-CEDAR FIRE, San Diego County: 10 people dead, 206,664 acres burned, 881 homes destroyed. Started Oct. 25, apparently by lost hunter setting a signal fire. Air traffic nationwide was disrupted when flames forced evacuation of a Federal Aviation Administration control center. No containment.

-DULZURA FIRE, San Diego County: No deaths, 46,291 acres burned, one home, five outbuildings and 11 structures damaged. Started Oct. 26, cause under investigation. Contained. Briefly burned across border into Tijuana, Mexico.

-PARADISE FIRE, San Diego County: 2 people killed, 40,000 acres, 111 homes and 100 outbuildings destroyed. Started Oct. 26, cause under investigation. 20 percent contained.

-GRAND PRIX FIRE, San Bernardino County: No deaths, 50 homes destroyed, 48,912 acres. Started Oct. 21, blamed on arson. 50 percent contained.

-OLD FIRE, San Bernardino County: 4 people killed, 500 homes, 10 commercial buildings destroyed, 36,780 acres. Started Oct. 25, blamed on arson. 10 percent contained.

-SIMI VALLEY, Ventura County: No deaths, 16 homes and 64 outbuildings destroyed, 97,880 acres. Started Oct. 25, cause under investigation. 25 percent contained.

-VERDALE FIRE, Los Angeles County: No deaths, 8,680 acres. Started Oct. 24, blamed on arson. Contained.

-CAMP PENDLETON, San Diego County: No deaths, 9,000 acres. Started Oct. 21 on the Marine base, cause under investigation. Contained.

-PIRU FIRE, Ventura County: No deaths, three homes and three outbuildings destroyed, 55,812 acres. Started Oct. 23, cause under investigation. 30 percent contained. Damaged small corner of Sespe Wilderness and Sespe Condor Sanctuary, but no condors are currently in the refuge.

-MOUNTAIN FIRE, Riverside County: No deaths, 21 homes destroyed, 9,742 acres. Started Oct. 26, cause under investigation. 75 percent contained.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
That is so horrible!!!!! The people that live there, I can not imagine how they must feel. I saw grown men on the news yesterday just bawling becasue they lost everything. I simply can not imagine!!!!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Yeah, its a real shame. Those ones in San Diego county are in some really beautiful areas too. Deb and her girlfriend were just out there last month too. Her girlfriend is from San Diego and has lots of family there. The family members have been evacuated once but are now all back in thier homes.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
My uncle lives in Laguna Beach, I can't see it on the map, does anyone know if there is a fire there?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Moneyshot, Laguna Beach is just down the coast from Long Beach. Doesnt look as if there are any fired near there. Closest one would be the Camp Pendleton one.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I was out there over the weekend and just got back Monday morning. When we went outside on Saturday morning, everything was covered in ash. I was in Long Beach (Belmont Shores), which is Southwest of LA. The sky was so hazy, and in the afternoon, it looked like the sun was setting, but it was just so orange from all the smoke and ash in the air. Also, my flight was delayed over 2 hours because of the fires...kind of crazy....

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
My sister lives in San Diego. She said it is just terrible. Luckily for her the fires are north of her home. On Sunday she said it was dark all day and never saw daylight with all of the smoke in the sky. Everything is covered with soot. How sad for all of those who lost their homes, I couldn't imagine!

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
When I lived in northern Michigan (Gaylord), I was on the DNR forest fire department. I was all trained to go out west and I moved away before I got a chance. I would be out there in a moment if I could go now! They need all the help they can get!

·
Registered
284 Posts
My brother in law is on the front lines right now. He is part of a 25 man crew battling the fires in a fairly remote area. Because he is in an area where the fire is not affecting a lot of people, his crew is responsible for an extremely large area. My wife spoke to him last night, they are basically exhausted. His crew was sent home for 8 hours after working the last 48 non stop. Beleive it or not, they were forced to leave, they did not want to leave the fire. He was due back this morning. He has been on the job 2 months now, what a way to start. My in laws live north of LA, they have been told to pack and get ready to go. Could not really imagine what that would be like.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
i just heard 20 dead now. what a shame, paryers to those involved. one they said was a firefighter. there is a true hero, died to protect others.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I know this is just terrible

I have relatives all up and down California.
I call daily to see if everything is ok.
I wish I was there to help all those people!

After being in a Hurricane I have seen first hand the horror in people losing everything. It is so different then seeing it on TV.

God Bless all of those people during these hard times!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Anyone know where Carmel Calif. is? I have family there.. i can not seem to find it on the map? Perhaps just not looking hard enough!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
QUOTE(manana-II @ Oct 30 2003, 08:31 AM)Anyone know where Carmel Calif. is? I have family there.. i can not seem to find it on the map? Perhaps just not looking hard enough!
Carmel is way north of Los Angeles and the fires are south of LA, so they are really far.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
QUOTE(manana-II @ Oct 30 2003, 09:08 AM)thanks....

Have you been there? My friend just got back a few weeks ago and said it is absolutely gorgeous!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts