Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to get an air filter for my 2009 Escape yesterday. The filter I was given, which is the one the owner's manual says to use is a flat rectangle and looks just like the air filter that was in my 2006 and 2003 Escape.

So I get home, open the hood, open the box that filter lives in and there is a round filter with green ends, one of which has a hole and is fitted over a tube going to the engine.

I can't find any reference for an air filter for a 2009 Escape other than the flat one.

Other than going to the dealer, does anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Area 51 @ Oct 19 2009, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey Mike, I looked at one we have here in the showroom, and it is a rectangular one like you described. This one is the V-6, I think you have the same.
The box right on top and close to the front of the engine right?

One thing I thought was odd. The cover is way bigger than the box. When I looked at the bottom of the cover, it has a rubber gasket that matched the box in shape and size. The box is about 2/3 the size of the lid.

·
Registered
600 Posts
QUOTE(Stodge @ Oct 19 2009, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Area 51 @ Oct 19 2009, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey Mike, I looked at one we have here in the showroom, and it is a rectangular one like you described. This one is the V-6, I think you have the same.

One thing I thought was odd. The cover is way bigger than the box. When I looked at the bottom of the cover, it has a rubber gasket that matched the box in shape and size. The box is about 2/3 the size of the lid.

It is right behind the battery. It says air filter right on top of the cover. I didn't pull the filter out, but it looks like a rectangle just like an ordinary filter.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(Area 51 @ Oct 19 2009, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Stodge @ Oct 19 2009, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Area 51 @ Oct 19 2009, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey Mike, I looked at one we have here in the showroom, and it is a rectangular one like you described. This one is the V-6, I think you have the same.

It is right behind the battery. It says air filter right on top of the cover. I didn't pull the filter out, but it looks like a rectangle just like an ordinary filter.

This is dead-center, close to the front of the engine compartment. Battery is to the right of the box.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
QUOTE(Area 51 @ Oct 19 2009, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Stodge @ Oct 19 2009, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Area 51 @ Oct 19 2009, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey Mike, I looked at one we have here in the showroom, and it is a rectangular one like you described. This one is the V-6, I think you have the same.

It looks like the round one sits in a rectangle box.

Matt

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Automotive radiator part Rectangle Automotive exterior Gas

Attachments

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Oct 19 2009, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>trace the intake plenum form the top of the motor to a plastic box, right?
I'd have to double check, but yes the box is on top, center of the engine compartment. The tube appeared to run down to the engine.

The box also has an intake hose that runs to the grill.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(tcg @ Oct 19 2009, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Area 51 @ Oct 19 2009, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Stodge @ Oct 19 2009, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Area 51 @ Oct 19 2009, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey Mike, I looked at one we have here in the showroom, and it is a rectangular one like you described. This one is the V-6, I think you have the same.

Matt

View attachment 67947

View attachment 67948

That looks a lot like it. Is that factory?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
QUOTE(Stodge @ Oct 19 2009, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Cadmonkey @ Oct 19 2009, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>trace the intake plenum form the top of the motor to a plastic box, right?
I'd have to double check, but yes the box is on top, center of the engine compartment. The tube appeared to run down to the engine.

The box also has an intake hose that runs to the grill.

sounds like the right place. but I dont know anyone with an escape, nor have looked under the hood.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
QUOTE(Stodge @ Oct 19 2009, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(tcg @ Oct 19 2009, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Area 51 @ Oct 19 2009, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Stodge @ Oct 19 2009, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Area 51 @ Oct 19 2009, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey Mike, I looked at one we have here in the showroom, and it is a rectangular one like you described. This one is the V-6, I think you have the same.

Matt

View attachment 67947

View attachment 67948

That looks a lot like it. Is that factory?

Those are both aftermarket.

That green one is supposed to be high performance whatever that means. The other on is the one Murrays stocks.

It is one expensive air filter around 50 bucks.

Matt

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
QUOTE(Stodge @ Oct 19 2009, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well how the heck did it end up on my car? I leased it new last January. And I didn't replace it.

If you are talking about the green one, I got that picture from a forum talking about the Escape filters. The person posted that picture showing his new performance air filter.

It's from this company.

http://www.greenfilterusa.com/FindaFilter/...28/Default.aspx

I don't know what the OEM looks like.

Matt

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Only the rubber ends are green.

Trying to figure out why the dealer would swap out the air cleaner box on a new vehicle.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
QUOTE(Stodge @ Oct 19 2009, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Only the rubber ends are green.

Trying to figure out why the dealer would swap out the air cleaner box on a new vehicle.

Murrays shows the round one for all models except

2009 Ford Escape XLT L4 - 2.5L vin 7 152ci 2488cc

that one comes up as rectangle.

Matt

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the dealer I got the car from, got it from another dealer. So no telling what was done to it. Good news is that it won't affect my lease turn in.

Murray shows the K&N. Guess I'll have to look for a part number or sticker on the thing in my car and figure out how to replace it.

Thanks for the info TCG.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts