Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going camping this weekend in Ludington and bringing my boat along. I was wondered if anyone knew what the fishing was like, or what kinds of things I should try. My boat is not setup for trolling, but I will try anything else. I will fish for anything with gills, bigger than a blue gil. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Better late than never I guess...

I have fished Lake Hamlin for the last 13 years over the Labor Day weekend. I love the lake in the spring as the weeds aren't up yet and the water temps are still in the hi 50's - low 60's. The bass up there can be awesome in the spring. If you run a shallow draft boat, you can get into some areas that are chock full of nice fish.

If you plan to fish the main lake, head into the areas outside of the bays. The fish will congregate there as they moce into the shallows to pack on fat for the winter. Pike fishing can be very good out in front of the islands by the campground. I have camped there every year and routinely outfish most everyone near me. I always see people with rock bass, bluegills, small pike, etc. I always have nice bass in my livewell and it really gets people's attention. I was voted " most disgusting camper" by the two adjacent campers one year. ( In a good way, LOL)

Walleyes will work well on the hump in front of the beach. The bay directly across from the campgrounds is a good area depending on the winds. Lost Lake is another great place to drift and toss floating Rapalas and rubber. Nice bass and the occasional pike have been caught in that area by me and my brother.

I love that place! 7 1/2 hour drive for me and I go every year. Guaranteed fish every year. What a blast.

Perch, if you are so inclined, can be had anywhere along the west shoreline in 6-10 feet of water. Look for dark spots in the water or grass on the depth finder. Worms/minnows will take some nice perch there.

UFM82

Take the boat. I would love to try it in the fall but one trip up there is all I have time for. The weeds must be awesome that time of year. Great time for pike!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts