Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if camping is permitted on gull island? If so, what are your experiences? Is it usually really packed to where you gotta show up early and get a spot? Are fires legal? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Jason

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I don't think I would want to be that close to the ground. But sorry I can't answer your question.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
Camping is fine there. Fires are ok.

I would suggest NOT camping there next weekend. JN2 is Sept 12.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I've camped there before, slept on the bow of the boat under the stars. Weeknights are better as the crowds usually leave around sunset and you have the island to yourself. Fires permitted. Haven't been in a while since all of the hype about how trashed it's been this year, I have no interest in that so I haven't checked it out lately.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I've never stayed overnite ON the island, only at anchor, but have seen
tents overnte there.
Campfires are ok, bring your own wood, nothing to scavange on the island, and please
don't burn the picnic tables.
With water up this year, the island is alot smaller.

Say hello to the mayor

gt

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
The better camping is good up further into the island on the sand. There were many tents set up all over the island this past weekend. The best advice is bring your own wood, and clean up after yourself and all will be well. Good luck out there. Can be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i was thinking about camping on gull island next weekend, Saturday night. I was going to be bringing two 12 year olds with us. Is this a bad idea? concerned about what type of group may be out there. I was wondering if the overnight crowd is too rowdy. any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!!.

·
AKA gcalan
334 Posts
i was thinking about camping on gull island next weekend, Saturday night. I was going to be bringing two 12 year olds with us. Is this a bad idea? concerned about what type of group may be out there. I was wondering if the overnight crowd is too rowdy. any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!!.
Slept there Friday night. We camped on the side facing Harsen's. Other than a nice, quiet couple, we were the only ones there. We build a fire and had a tent. We had a great time.

I would suggest if you're anchoring out over night to use and aft anchor along with your main anchor. The wind tends to change overnight.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Slept there Friday night. We camped on the side facing Harsen's. Other than a nice, quiet couple, we were the only ones there. We build a fire and had a tent. We had a great time.

I would suggest if you're anchoring out over night to use and aft anchor along with your main anchor. The wind tends to change overnight.
[/quote]

Gus said it best! The "north" side, or Harsens side is much more family friendly on weekends. The Seaway side, or "east side" is much more rowdy. We have spent many nights at Gull, nothing like a fire in the middle of the lake on a nice evening! A couple of weeks ago, there wasnt a whole lot of beach on the north side for a tent, but a small one should fit.

Front and rear anchors are recommended, and depending on your boat, be very careful pulling into the north side of the island, it has a bunch of sand bars that are hard to see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts