Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you go Camping? We usually hit Sleeper State Park in Caseville, but were looking for a place up north. Maybe along the top of the mitten? Something a little rustic.

Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
when i was younger, my parents joined a camping club and i have been so many wonderful places! i've camped since i was 7 years old, and at one point i was like, 'i don't want to stay in the trailer...i want to sleep in a tent!' so they bought me my own tent and i was off!

too bad i can't remember the names of the places i've been! loL! crazy horse, koas, sleeping bear dunes, lotsa place up north....grrr...wish i could remember!

I LOVE CAMPING!!!!!!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
We used to go to a K.O.A. in Irish Hills when I was a kid.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Otsego park just south of Gaylord is a pretty cool campground. Spent some time there last year. Boating, fishing and a beach are all available.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Im a camping Junkie as well. I have "EVERYTHING" you need to rough it. We go to Mio and Mckinnly in Oscoda. We rough it on state land. I hate to pay and camp. If your close to any form of pavement your not camping. Where we go there is nothing, NOTHING AT ALL Well there usually between 7 and 12 drunk people a loud radio a BBQ and at night time theres a Bon Fire about 12 feet tall. Nobody tells us to slow down, to quiet down to turn the radio down, we hollar, scream, curse and bark at the moon with the radio turned up all the way the hole time.

We also canoe the Ausable River and go on a annual Bar Tour, we start at the
Mckinnly Scenic River wood tavern, then goto
The Mio Saloon, then to the
Bowling Alley, then to the
Wild Turkey Saloon, then back to the starting point.
If we have any steam left we'll sometimes venture into Glennie or Currie.

We are HARDCORE, JOURNEYMEN, PROFESSIONAL TUBERS AND CANOERS AUSABLE RULES

We start early, we tie the canoes together and never touch a oar, we bring a portable coleman gas grill, a radio man we have some good times on that river. Now I work week ends so I very rarely get to go up there with friends, Im going to try and rustle up some LSCNers for a trip up there.

Unfortunatly it will be under very short notice.

Some of the best times Ive ever had "EVER" were with my wife somewhere down M33.

SnowFlakes got a couple photos floating around.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(CBJ @ May 22 2003, 09:22 AM)Im a camping Junkie as well. I have "EVERYTHING" you need to rough it. We go to Mio and Mckinnly in Oscoda. We rough it on state land. I hate to pay and camp. If your close to any form of pavement your not camping. Where we go there is nothing, NOTHING AT ALL Well there usually between 7 and 12 drunk people a loud radio a BBQ and at night time theres a Bon Fire about 12 feet tall. Nobody tells us to slow down, to quiet down to turn the radio down, we hollar, scream, curse and bark at the moon with the radio turned up all the way the hole time.

We also canoe the Ausable River and go on a annual Bar Tour, we start at the
Mckinnly Scenic River wood tavern, then goto
The Mio Saloon, then to the
Bowling Alley, then to the
Wild Turkey Saloon, then back to the starting point.
If we have any steam left we'll sometimes venture into Glennie or Currie.

We are HARDCORE, JOURNEYMEN, PROFESSIONAL TUBERS AND CANOERS AUSABLE RULES

We start early, we tie the canoes together and never touch a oar, we bring a portable coleman gas grill, a radio man we have some good times on that river. Now I work week ends so I very rarely get to go up there with friends, Im going to try and rustle up some LSCNers for a trip up there.

Unfortunatly it will be under very short notice.

Some of the best times Ive ever had "EVER" were with my wife somewhere down M33.

SnowFlakes got a couple photos floating around.

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
i am going camping up at Interlochen (sp?) State Park this weekend. It is about 15 miles southwest of Traverse City.

From what I understand, there are two types of campgrounds there. They have the tradional state park "loops", you know the onese with the electrical hook ups, showers, running water etc, and then they have what they call "rustic" camp sites, which does not have the ammenities. I think we are doing the "rustic" camp site. I have never been there, and I have never even really heard of the place, a friends friend set it up and I am going for the ride and plan on killing mucho brewhas....I'll let you know how it is....

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Campgrounds are boring, lame to many rules. CBJ needs a little space to vent. Vent???? in more ways then one.
I LOVE TO ROUGH IT ON STATE LAND!!!!!

Click on This link to see some more photos. Camping ones are at the bottom.

ITS NOT CAMPING UNLESS YOUR SCREAMING THE LYRICS TO KID ROCK AT 3:00 IN THE MORNING

·
Registered
299 Posts
I haven't camped at wilderness yet but i've been though it a few times top of the mitten...

heres a quick link to the michigan state parks list poke on the dot for a map of each park.

state park map

can't.... resist... this... one... pitching a tent with CK

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Zeeb:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ May 22 2003, 08:34 AM)Zeeb:
Me and the Warden are in the back ground. Thats it I must go up north very soon.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(CBJ @ May 22 2003, 09:37 AM)QUOTE(Snowmaker @ May 22 2003, 08:34 AM) Zeeb:
Me and the Warden are in the back ground. Thats it I must go up north very soon.
That's not you. That guy has no gut.

I still love the size of that bonfire waiting to be lit behind Zeeb there. That thing was impressive!

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Try Isle Royale National Park in Lake Superior. You have to take a ferry there....everything you need you have to carry on your back, no showers/toilets (a few outhouses). Spent 9 days on the island before and stared face to face witha bull moose from 10 feet away, had my dinner stolen by a fox, my reel spooled by some crazy trout and had to deal with two possible hypothermia cases....famous quote of the week: "Ladies now get naked, get in the sleeping bag together and start generating body heat"

Stayed at numerous State Parks...Burt Lake is one of my favorites. Awesome smallmouth fishing.

There is another real rustic one on the pinky of the mitten. I think its called Fishermans State Park, four wheel drive is required to get in there.

CBJ, you should try the UP on some of the Mead Paper land. Free to camp, no one around for MILES but you have to check with Mead to fisnd where they are not working clearing trees. Lots of moose up there and even a few wolves.

Try this link: MDNR Park Map

Mini

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
That must have been her other boyfriend

Its funny you can hear other people making as much noise as us all night long.
If you let out a
OOOOOOooooooooooooowwwwwwww

Youll hear two things,

other party people answering the call

or

a pack of wild dogs..... or coyotes, not kidding we see it all, from bear to turkey, deer, Warblers as well as the double spotted ctrocko stympy, and the hairy legged sasquatch---- <_< that hangs out in town. Shes always wearing a transparent fishnet top and often seen running straight down the middle of M33 shortly after last call..

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(CBJ @ May 22 2003, 09:44 AM)Its funny you can hear other people making as much noise as us all night long.
If you let out a

Youll hear two things,

Don't you mean "other people starting trouble and coming over to our camp to start a fight"??

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
Mini we can BS about it over a cocktail real soon probaly monday...

I got to call Tom now I beleive todays the day...

Ill see ya Peeps later.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ May 22 2003, 08:45 AM)QUOTE(CBJ @ May 22 2003, 09:44 AM) Its funny you can hear other people making as much noise as us all night long.
If you let out a

Youll hear two things,

Don't you mean "other people starting trouble and coming over to our camp to start a fight"??
That only happened once in about 25 or 30 trips up there. CBJ took care of it as well....

Man the memories are starting to pop in there, I got to get out of here before I waste the hole day. Snow Flake, if you and the boss wanna join us for a trip up there that would be great.

Keep that in mind I got to go. See you all later.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Good luck CBJ.....check everything out and DONT take it until you are satisfied.

If you get it this eve call maybe we can get out for a few.

Mini

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(CBJ @ May 22 2003, 09:49 AM)Snow Flake, if you and the boss wanna join us for a trip up there that would be great.

Keep that in mind I got to go. See you all later.
Just let me know when.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Hey Mirth, try these.

Burt Lake State Park on Burt Lake
Aloha State Park on Mullet Lake
Petosky State Park on Little Traverse Bay
Higgin's Lake State Park North
Higgin's Lake State Park South

There's also a State Forest Campground (rustic) on the north shore of Houghton Lake but I can't remember the name.
I'll try to come up with a few other suggestions.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts