Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to fish the lakes right now,the ice has already melted or will melt this weekend on most of the lakes,is there a way around the laws.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Sure you can fish. The law says you cannot target bass (there are other species too depending on the waters you fish). I am fishing later today on St Clair, but I am fishing for crappie.

I will post pictures (if we get lucky) and definately give a report.

Mini

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
On April first catch and release bass fishing opens up on six lakes in Michigan. I only know 4 of them. Maybe someone can post the other two.

Halloway
Cass
Kent
Hardy

·
Registered
927 Posts
pontiac and muskegon.

go to belleville and fish for white bass. i hear they really catch them this time of year.

madman himself

·
Registered
89 Posts
Another Lake in Oakland County open on the 1st for catch and release is Pontiac. If you can believe the 2004 Fishing Guide.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
You can believe it. Just keep a copy with you to avoid confusion with the occasional young deputy who thinks you can only have 3 rods in the boat. Some counties give water patrol only to the lowest ranking rookies...

I did talk to 2 CO's at one of the fishing shows that didn't know much at all about the season. That was kind of surprising. There are a lot of rules and regs though...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me add something maybe I can clarify,I want to fish lures that are known as bass lures is there a problem with the law on that?

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Hey Bronzeback.....quit splittin hairs and get to fishin'!

You are way too worried, get out, get a line wet. You will feel better.

No define something for me, what is a traditional bass lure? Lures are designed to catch fish, not just bass.

Mini

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
True Mini,I don't mean to split hairs,but I have never heard so much talk about the D.N.R. giving you so much trouble for getting out on the lakes early,I have not experienced it myself but I didn't want to go out on some of these lakes that are not reconized as early fishing lakes(spawn-pre-spawn) and get a ticket for lures that are commonly known as bass lures.....say like crank baits or lizards and the such,sorry didn't mean to be a pain in the arse.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Bronzeback...
Come down to ohio and fish all the inland lakes you want ! I was at indian lake this weekend and it rocked ,Largemouth hitting white spinnerbait around Pony island.Everyone is gearing up for a big crappie tournament next weekend..
shaun

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've been out a couple times fishing for "Crappie" and "Rock Bass" . I was targeting those species with spinnerbaits and tubes. But for some reason, LM bass bit also. However, since I let them all go nothng CO can do unless you admit it.

I've caught Rock bass in Gull Lake on west side of state that will eat a 5" Bass Assasin with 4/0 EWG hook (no lie). So unless you admit it or have possession of bass not much they can prove. Also, once pike season opens up, it's all fair game.

But I did hear they were giving tickets out on LSC to guys fishing tubes between Memorial Day and the opener.

Go fishing cause they are biting, friends of mine took 40 yesterday with Poiinter 78's and I got a few yesterday on grubs.

Good Luck Ckev

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Hey guys, better yet, take a few minutes from your fishing time and help me change the regs so there are more options for early bass fishing. Keep checking my new biology section of my website for more information as I post it on this topic from studies and other sources, not just my own head.

Things will start moving again a little later this year and by fall, there'll be a few chores we can all help with. I'll keep you informed, whether you support it or not, of what is happening so you can have a choice to be involved or not either way.

There's tons of good fishing starting up right now for all different kinds of fish. Good luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I guess you will have to put a couple of rock bass or walleye in you livewell.. before you get into that unforgiving school of bass.. then when you are checked...you are legal

1 - 15 of 15 Posts