Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 120hp 3.0 Mercruiser I/O in my 20 foot Bayliner
that I would like to try to troll for Walleye or Muskie this spring on LSC. Question: Can I get my speed down to the recommended 2-3 mph with this size engine?
I do have a Happy Troller trolling plate I plan on installing if needed. Anyone currently using such a setup successfully? If so, any advice you can share with this newbie to trolling?
Thanks much.

Tom
Clarkston

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hy Tom... I have a hard time getting to that speed with my nintey horse Yamaha, i do not have a trolling plate but i use a drift sock it slows me down a bit, at idol i can only get her down to about Three or so but with the sock it brings me to within range....... good luck my man.............

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
might try the trolling plate, is it the one that you instlal ont he drive and it flips down in front of the prop to slow oyu down? that might work well, if not you might try picking up a used 8 HP merc and mounting on your platform to troll you

Good luck, if you opt for the small outboard idea, depending on how high your platform is you might want to get a longshaft, with our short shaft merc mounted on the mounting bracket on the searay it cavitates badly especially in rough water from not being down enough in the water

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would think the trolling plate would work. I have a 150hp merc outboard adn I had to install one. I got one that has the stabilizer fins plus the tolling plate. It allows me to plane off much faster and I can troll at a much slower speed. Down side is that it seems to have taken a 5% or so off my top end speed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have heard the trolling plates work well, though I have no experience. However, you will need to go slower for walleyes. About 1mph, give or take a few tenths (if you are relying on a speed wheel). Good luck

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
When I troll, I tie 1 end of 10 ft rope to a 10 gal plastic bucket and the other to the ski eye on the back of my boat. The bucket will catch most of the props thrust, much like a troling plate. If I want to slow even more, I'll tie off a bucket to each stern cleat...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, the trolling plate is the flip down type. Guess I'll
have to give it a try to see if I can get my speed down enough. Now.... if I can only figure out how to get these planer board thingys to work
!

Tom

·
Registered
203 Posts
Slipp, I believe we have the same boat. Chances are your 3.0 is 135 horses tho. Mine is a capri 1952 CL. I am also curious about the trolling setup, as I want to try eye and muskie hunting this summer. Did you get your plate locally? Because I need one too, and I don't want to wait forever to get it if I order it from cabella's. Let us know how your set up worked out. I am anctious to find out!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had one of them on a 17ft. aluminum bowrider years ago. I had a real hard time steering the boat when I used it. I have seen, since then, the same plate with a 4 or 5 inch hole in the center of it. I think that might have been for better control in steering. I know what I would do... sit at the access and watch for one on the back of a fisherman's boat and ask him about it. I've found that most of the guy's are more then happy to talk fishing. It doesn't look like to many guys here have used one.
Oh, and Beermaster... leave some fish for me and the wife. Don't catch them all before I get my boat in the water!!

http://b8.ezboard.com/fmichigansoutdoorfor...opicID=19.topic

http://fishingmn.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/003720.html

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey!

Nice to see you back Miller! Me and the Admiral still working on the name for our boat (yeah i know, a season later). You don't have to worry about me taking all the fish. So far Ive been out only a few times this year and always happened to go on a day when fish just wouldn't bite. Besisdes, according to h2o the eyes don't show up by the firecracker until June, isn't that correct?

When do you guys usually put in? You are always welcome to come on ours on a weekend. The question is, where would you go for eyes this time of the year besides the river, which i can't stand anyways.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
47 Posts
The water has to warm up a little more. I had read they start when the water temp. gets to around 52*. Then they'll be in front of Metro and the 400 Club and Gino's. Keep watching this forum, I'm sure when they start you'll see it here. We won't have the boat in for a couple of weeks yet, or as soon as I hear they've started. I never have river fished.

·
Registered
35 Posts
slipp i used two drift socks while troling with large outboard. It dragged me down to under 1 mph walleye fishing. with one sock your boat will pull to one side. put them about half way up to the bow and then tie them to the back sleats to keep them in place. hang em just deep enough to fill them. i have a kicker now but the socks worked great and they roll up and stow away.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Do you have trouble when trolling with drift sock in wearing out the drift socks fairly quick with that much pressure on them?

·
Registered
110 Posts
For targeting Muskies dont worry too much about staying in the 2-3 MPH range. You should do ok on St. Clair at a speed of 4 or even 5 MPH.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
miller the old trolling plats probably didnt respond to turns well because the lack of thrust, the plate is blocking off all the thrust which turns the boat, the hole allows more thrust to get out to steer, and the plate can still slow you down with drag. it sounds like all of these methods work good for people, so it would be your personal prefernce, i personally think though that if you two buckets off the stern cleats it would get in the way of the fishing lines you are trying to troll....

good luck, and let us know if you use the trolling plate how you like it, because we have we are thinking of installing for the same reason, it has the extra holes in it

·
Registered
234 Posts
I used a trolling plate on my center console with a Yam 115 for awhile on LSC and elsewhere. Ability to hold course and maneuverability were seriously impaired, espcially with the usual winds and chop, so I stopped using it. I don't recommend them. On quiet water they do work marginally, though.

Instead, try twin drift socks as previously mentioned. If you're running planers for walleye, the sock approach will not interfere with your lines very much. Best solution is you've got the bucks is to get a kicker.

You don't need to worry when you troll for musky. Three mph is as slow as you'd probably ever need.

My real suggestion is to take up casting!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I have a Starcraft Pro-Elite 2000 w/ a Merc 150 EFI and I connect a drift sock to a ski harness when I want to slow troll. I simply idle while in gear and steer with my MinnKota auto-pilot. Works great.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used the socks for 10 years and they are still in good shape. the bags and straps are heavy duty nylon and still look new. i got them through cabela's catalog. i still use them on rough days trolling with the wind.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gotta love this site! Thanks for the advice.

Looks like I should seriously consider the drift socks. I saw them at Bass Pro but didn't pay much attention. Matter of fact..... several years ago I hung a couple of 5 gallon pails off each side of my boat
trying to slow down to walleye trolling speed. Didn't work well.

I have heard steering with a trolling plate can be a pain, but I'll give it a try and go from there. Maybe a small kicker at Christmas . Thanks again all!

Tom
Clarkston

·
Registered
111 Posts
Bucket's ????? must have some really strong handles on them mmm Go with the sock,,,,,, but dont do what i did , power up with them still hanging over,,, bad bad bad busted a cleat of and just about did the same to the other.......REMEMBER TO PULL THE SOCK IN BEFORE YOU BLAST OFF.........

1 - 20 of 20 Posts