Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
If you don't know where/what Miltona is, it's a well-known muskie lake in MN, and apparently as the muskie population grows in size and number.......drum roll......the walleyes thrive!!!

Maybe all the guys who maliciously kill muskies to "protect" the walleye could take a lesson from the boys in MN.

http://www.echopress.com/event/article/id/72163/

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
1,435 Posts
nice post

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
1,435 Posts
i agree.... i walleye fish myself , do i love it like muskie fishing no but i enjoy the good eats

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of my favorite tyes of "low stress" fishing for me is dragging crawler harnesses with Dad in his Lund. I love walters. I don't fish them here, but I think they're awesome. I'd just hate seeing guys kill a 25 year old fish because they think it's destroying the walleye population. Well....here's a study that shows some facts....

·
Registered
489 Posts
No, tell me it's not so. Mother nature can take care of itself? What will we do except enjoy the fruits of God's creation. Nurture it and protect it from over harvesting is our main job.

Where's the drama in that? Seriously though, we as humans need to back down and let nature take it's course sometimes. The food chain is a beautiful thing, as long as you're at the top, and we are.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Thanks esoxfly, thats a very good article, I'm not a muskie hater, but often wondered
if they hurt walleye numbers. I have never caught a muskie, but never really tried to hard.
Maybe one of these days i'll get out there and get the muskie fever.

·
Registered
489 Posts
QUOTE(b_radici @ Feb 11 2010, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>they have a 48" keeper limit, maybe we should go the same route, would have more 50" around I think.

I like slot limits for some species and big minimums for your apex predators. IMHO

I will say this though, LSC seems to be working pretty good as it is. Could the regulations be tweaked to produce a record Muskie or Smallmouth Bass? I don't know, I would adhere to almost any regulations that would yield a record like that. I suspect our C & R anglers here are probably maximizing our resources now.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
QUOTE(walleye mike @ Feb 11 2010, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(b_radici @ Feb 11 2010, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>they have a 48" keeper limit, maybe we should go the same route, would have more 50" around I think.

No need. How many even keep them now? Very few. Those kept for the wall would be mostly over 50" anyway.

Well, I guess with the number of musky that people keep in the lake, then it's not a real issue. In MA we had a slot limit for striped bass like you could only keep between 24" and 32" or something to that effect. Anything smaller or larger had to be returned. But then again, alot more people were keeping them for the table.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, stripers are a whole 'nother ball fo wax. There's a commercial fishery for stripers and that tends to convolute things; people selling their sport catch as commercial fish and so on.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Back in the day when Muskie was dinner fare and we checked to see what they had for dinner it was mainly sheaphead and suckers especially the Redhorse ones. Some bullheads and very few walleye or perch and rarely a bass. Now and then one of the sunfish. Check with the DNR and I'm sure they can give you the percentage of each fish, Then make a reply to this post.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I say we put the issue to rest for now, and then when musky season come around, see if we can get some people to take home some keepers and post some pictures of stomach content. I think pictures will help people believe either way.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
what if I'm a walleye guy and a ski guy? I know... I hate bass guys... Mini, basstek, ripnlips, capt doug, h20, bigdog, you guys/gal are real jerks... If I missed any of you toad hunters... you stink. Can't wait to start ripping pregnant females off their beds in the spring...

(once again, if you take me serious, don't. Fishing is my way to releave stress, not start it)

As for the walleye vs ski thing. I limit out of eyes by 9 am from spring to beginning of summer for the past 25 yrs in the DR and the SCR. I don't think there is a problem... Maybe me limiting out is more of a problem, but a guys gotta eat!!!

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
QUOTE(Woody95 @ Feb 12 2010, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>what if I'm a walleye guy and a ski guy? I know... I hate bass guys... Mini, basstek, ripnlips, capt doug, h20, bigdog, you guys/gal are real jerks... If I missed any of you toad hunters... you stink. Can't wait to start ripping pregnant females off their beds in the spring...

(once again, if you take me serious, don't. Fishing is my way to releave stress, not start it)

As for the walleye vs ski thing. I limit out of eyes by 9 am from spring to beginning of summer for the past 25 yrs in the DR and the SCR. I don't think there is a problem... Maybe me limiting out is more of a problem, but a guys gotta eat!!!

Woody, can you make fun of us people that get out when we can and eat the walleye, perch, gills, bass, crappie, salmon,and cats too. I feel left out

------>Ski's love suckers!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts